The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Trapet Chambertin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: 1996 Trapet Chambertin

by Paul Winalski » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:06 pm

This was the wine I served with today's Easter supper (Lamb bourgnignon).

Crimson color, with a bit of brickish red on the edges, as befits a grand cru of its age. The aroma . . . oh, my! There's a LOT going on here. Fruit aromas of strawberry, and wild cherry, overlaid with some roasted, vanilla aromas of oak. On the palate, there is a bit of rough acidity and tannins at first, then beautiful pinot flavors. The finish is long but, if I'm forced to pick faults, a tiny bit out of balance towards acid. That's when tasted on its own. Accompanying the food, it was perfect.

In summary, a fully mature grand cru that, although not perfect, stands as an example of why Burgundy is considered great.

Double Curly Moe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 1996 Trapet Chambertin

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks for the note, that sounds lovely.

For me, time and time again that extra bit of acidity is mildly offputting when first tasting a wine, then it all clicks once wine assumes its rightful place in the context of food. I am almost becoming suspicious of a wine that tastes good before food! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.