The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 4 Vallformosa + a Borsao

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

arnie del rosario

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Manila, Philippines

TN: 4 Vallformosa + a Borsao

by arnie del rosario » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:46 am

A couple of weeks ago, the Winemaker and son of the owner (Oriol Domenech Vidal), and Director for Business Development for Asia Pacific (Jonathan Slosberg) of Vallformosa were in town to conduct a special tasting to coincide with the opening of the third Barcino outlet (at the basement of Greenbelt 5). Since our wine groups resident writer, Jay Labrador, was not around to document the event, I have taken it upon myself to take down a few notes on the wines served. None of the three reds are currently being sold in the Philippines, but that may soon change.

Vallformosa Gala cava brut gran reserva 2005 - Light color, small bubbles, bready/yeasty nose. Complex fruity and bready taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Vallformosa Zerthus Ribera del Duero Crianza 2005 - Deep violet with fruity and oaky nose. Slight acidity up front. Still very tannic but with a somewhat abrupt finish. A wine meant for food as it improved tremendously when taken with the tapas served by Barcino for the opening.

Vallformosa Masia Freye Merlot 2005 (Penedes) - Dark red color, slightly hot on the nose, with hints of coffee and plum. Full rounded and sweetish attack. Dark chocolate, a bit tannic. Long finish.

Vallformosa Penedes Gran Reserva 2001 - 85% tempranillo and 15% cab sauv aged 2 years in barrels and 3 years in bottle before release. Brick red with a snubdued berry nose. Smooth and nicely balanced with a very long finish. My favorite wine of the evening.

Towards the end of the evening, Sergi of Barcino opened a bottle of Borsao Tres Picos garnacha 2007 - dark purple with a sweetish new world nose. Definitely new world style with sweetness up front and a hot syruppy finish. Slightly jammy.