The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Cal/Itals From The Weekend...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Cal/Itals From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 pm

With my pasta and Buratta (the TraderJoe's version of buratta doesn't hold a candle to the Gjoia), in the Italian theme, I cracked:
1. DueVigne Dolcetto ElDoradoCnty (16% Barbera, 3% Nebbiolo; http://www.DueVigne.com; 14.4%) 2005: Very dark/black color; very strong licorice/grapey/plummy/Dolcetto slight chocolaty some earthy/mushroomy/ElDorado very light toasty/oak slight gamey/floral/spicy/lilacs/cherry blossoms lovely/compelling nose; tart/acid bit tannic/astringent/bitey ripe/plummy/licorice/grapey/Dolcetto some erathy/mushroomy light pungent/oak flavor; very long licorice/plummy/bit floral/grapey/Dolcetto slight hard/astringent bit tart/acid fairly rich/textured slight earthy finish; can probably go out 10 yrs, but mighty good in a yr or two I would guess. As good as Dolcetto gets. Great buy at $18.
2. Eberle PasoRobles Barbera 64% SteinbeckVnyd/36% Christian-LazoVnyd (14.5%) 2007: Very dark color; very straong spicy/salami/Italian sausage/dried herbs/peppery/gamey/fennel seed some toasty/oak nose; very tart spicy/salami/dried fennel/Barbera some toasty/Am.oak bit tannic flavor; very long rather tannic/hard tart spicy/salami/peppery/Barbera finish; needs 2-5 yrs; wonderful example of Calif Barbera.
1. DueVigne: After I had my sox knocked off by the Viog and Nebb last Fri, I couldn't wait to try their Dolcetto. Another one outta the park. It has a profile very/very similar to Piedmonte Dolcetto, but the richness & texture of the DueVigne obscure the agressive tannins & acids that give the Italian versions that hard/bitey edge. This is easily the best Calif Dolcetto I've had and maybe as good as anything from Italy. Terrific wine.
2. Eberle: GaryEberle came to NewMexico a few weeks ago to reintroduce his wines to our market, after they'd been absent for 10 yrs or so. The three I tried (Chard, Zin, Syrah) were solid/4-square/commercial wines that left me a bit underwhelmed. Gary wanted me to try this new Barbera, which had just won a DoubleGold or a TripleTin or some such at a SanDiego competition, so he sent me a couple of btls. This was wine like I used to know & love from Eberle. An absolutely first-rate example of Calif Barbera. This is how they'd make Barbera in Piedmonte if'n they could.
Tom