The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: misc. wiens and a nice excellent QPR Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: misc. wiens and a nice excellent QPR Bordeaux

by Jim Grow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 pm

2003 Armida RRV Gewurztraminer: Very ncie wine with medium deep straw color. Lots of good acidity with some spicey pear. Cloudy appearance, must be unfiltered. 13.9% abv. Good long finish with nice depth of fruit. $17

2007 Helfrich Gewurztraminer: from Marlenheim Alsace. Closed with a screw cap, this Gew. for $10 was an excellent example of the varietal and I'm glad I have a lot more. Very perfumed but light on the rose petal, decent acidity and fine depth of fruit flavors with spicey pear and some apple dominating. abv of 12.5% not viscous.

2006 Chateau La Gaborie: A simple Bordeaux, not even a Bordeaux Superiore, but with medium deep cherry flavors, mellow tannins, some earthyness Very quaffable and complex enough to contemplate. Bought and brought to Easter dinner by another from Toledo. For $11 I will look for some of this.

I also bought but have yet to try a 2006 Athena Dionysus Les Vignes de Marcoux from Natalies Estate Winery.
I can find no notes on this one from Newberg Oregon so anyone who knows or has tried this wine, the info will be appreciated. abv is %14.9 and it is a Bordeaux blend. $27 with case discount.