The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '70 Ducru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: '70 Ducru

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm

For various reasons, we decided to have our Easter dinner a day early, so on Saturday cooked a leg of lamb in a vaguely Basque style and served it with oven-roasted Peruvian purple fingerling potatoes and asparagus (I gave the morels in the store a long, hard look but passed as they were $40 a carton and not locally sourced yet). With this repast, we brought forth from the cellar:

1970 Ducru-Beaucaillou
color: dark red-purple center going orange at the rim
nose: modest cedary overtones to dark fruit, becoming herbal later
palate: medium body, fruity mid-palate, lovely secondary nuances, fully resolved tannins, harmonious, balanced

This was the last of a cache purchased jointly with Dale last year or so, and probably the best of the lot. Its most impressive aspect was its balance and harmony. It retained a freshness to its fruit and seemed quite primary initially upon opening, but later took on subtle but distinct secondary elements of an herbal-tobacco nature. Just lovely with the lamb, despite the liberal use of garlic, thyme and oregano in the marinade.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

Re: WTN: '70 Ducru

by Jim Brennan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 am

Glad to hear it's drinking well Mark. I have a bottle of this stashed away, and will probably drink a bit more than a year from now for my 40th.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: '70 Ducru

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 am

thanks for note. I took one of mine to Apiary last night, showed fairly well (we were doing blind, and ended up with an accidental vertical- 70, 75, 82). I've got one left. Will write up notes this afternoon.