The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Washington DC - where to buy wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ehud W

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:57 am

Washington DC - where to buy wine?

by Ehud W » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 am

Hi to all,

When visiting Washington DC, where are the best (variety and price wise, of course) places to shop for wine?

Thanks in advance,
Ehud
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Washington DC - where to buy wine?

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am

Macarthurs, Schneider's, Bell's on M street may be convenient.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:26 am

Calvert Woodley still good?
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 am

I think MacArthur is the best, but there are other decent places, depending on where you are, whether you have a car, etc. As Rahsaan notes, Bell's is not bad and is right downtown, same with Schneider's which is on the Senate side of Capitol Hill near Union Station. I think Calvert-Woodley is decent and it's right by the Van Ness-UDC metro stop, but its selection tends more to the Parker side of the wine spectrum. I also like Cleveland Park Liquors, right across the street from the Uptown theater by the Cleveland Park metro stop; its prices aren't great but it has a nice eclectic selection for a smaller store.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:50 pm

There's also a new place called Zola Wine and Kitchen at 505 9th Street, NW very near the FBI building. They have many wines that are hard to find but are worth checking out. Often, Elli Benchimol, the sommelier at Zola Restaurant (great restaurant, BTW) is in the wine shop. She's working on her Master of Wine, I believe. The only thing I don't like is that once is a while I'll see a tag on a string that says only "94 points - Parker" around the neck of a bottle - without reference to the wine or the year on the tag couldn't be more meaningless to me.

My first choice is Schneider's on Capitol Hill without question. I'd love to join you there if you'll be there on a weekday so drop me a PM if your interested.
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am

The two I like: Wide World of Wine (in the 2200 block of Wisconsin Ave., NW) and MacArthurs (Bassin's), on MacArthur Blvd., NW. Not too far away in Virginia: Arrowine in Arlington, and Vineyard Virginia, in McLean.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:05 pm

I like Calvert Woodley for sales and MacArthurs for overal selection. In the Maryland suburbs Corridor in Laurel (a Total Wine outpost) is your best bet, but you really need to head up to Bawlmer to get a good shop in our backwards state. If you are in Rockville try Kings Farm Wine. the manager is a friend of mine and he has a much better selection than the County stores.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.