The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Shea hey!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Shea hey!

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 pm

2006 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Yamhill County (4/15/2009)
This is nice - balanced red fruit, not too tannic, acidity for structure, good persistence, just a hint of warm earth. There's a bit of vanilla on the finish that I hope resolves over time, but overall a very good wine that is clearly Pinot Noir & also clearly Oregon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: WTN: Shea hey!

by Doug Surplus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 pm

I haven't opened my 06 yet, but last week had the 05, which was very nice and did not have any vanilla hints at all. Red berries, earth and a clean, tart finish.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 am

I opened a 2002 St. Innocent Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir last week and found it to be undrinkable. I've got another 1-2 bottles in storage; hopefully they will be better. All in all, I had a poor 2-week period for OR Pinot Noir of that vintage; a bottle from A-Z and from Torii Mor were both drinkable but had not held up very well.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 am

Clark,

What made the '02 Shea undrinkable? I've had that same wine in the not so distant past & it's been wonderful.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

David,

There was minimal aroma, and the wine was dominated by a downright ugly finish, like a mixture of tobacco and burnt rubber. I wish I could pinpoint it better for you.

I opened another bottle tonight and it was much better. Not a knock-out great wine, but otherwise fine. However, it was a bit too dark much for the entree pairing, a piece of baked halibut with panko served with mashed yukon gold potatoes.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:15 am

Sounds like your first bottle was mildly corked.

As to the pairing - I don't think I would head in that direction. Now a St. Innocent Pinot Gris could have been a fantastic match with that course. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2006 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Yamhill County (4/15/2009)
This is nice - balanced red fruit, not too tannic, acidity for structure, good persistence, just a hint of warm earth. There's a bit of vanilla on the finish that I hope resolves over time, but overall a very good wine that is clearly Pinot Noir & also clearly Oregon.

David, what is the going rate for this wine in your part of the country? It seems that here, St I wines have jumped in price in recent vintages.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Prices have gone up, but gradually over the last several years. The wine is now about $42 in my area, but the 2002s were in the mid-$30s.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:51 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Sounds like your first bottle was mildly corked.

As to the pairing - I don't think I would head in that direction. Now a St. Innocent Pinot Gris could have been a fantastic match with that course.

I always associate a musty smell with a corked wine, and that wine did not smell musty. I will have to read up a bit more on how to characterize damaged wines more accurately.

I agree that particular Pinot was much too heavy for the halibut. Honestly ... I really wanted to open another bottle of that 2002 St. Innocent to see how it tasted. :oops:

Prices have gone up, but gradually over the last several years. The wine is now about $42 in my area, but the 2002s were in the mid-$30s.

At the time I purchased these wines, they were selling for $30/bottle at Oregon retailers; slightly higher here in Washington. I paid $25+/bottle after discount. OUCH, considering I already dumped most of one bottle. :(

-- Clark