The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grèzeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grèzeaux

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am

2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grèzeaux 13.5%
Inky purple, surprisingly dark, almost opaque. The berry part of the aroma is a bit indeterminate, somewhere between ripe cherry and blackberry, but the sous bois and green twigs are very clear, with a bit of brett that eventually blows off. Both more tannic and more acid than the 07 Les Granges and Domaine, this really puckers the tongue and overwhelms the fruit; clearly needs food. Becomes balanced after some cheese, revealing additional notes of pepper, leather and a musky sort of saline sweat. Remains powerful, more serious and less fresh than the lighter 07s. Gauging from the speed of disappearance, both Marcia and I preferred the latter.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grèzeaux

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grèzeaux 13.5%Remains powerful, more serious and less fresh than the lighter 07s. Gauging from the speed of disappearance, both Marcia and I preferred the latter.

I think with some age you might think differently. Grezeaux is a nice terroir and 2005 is a big structured year. Should be a very elegant wine in about 10-12 years. (Judging from experiences with the 89). Not that there is anything wrong with the Granges and Domaine cuvees. I know exactly what you mean about speed of disappearance :wink:

FWIW, if you have any 05 Croix Boissee you might want to hold off opening that. As it should be even more tannic than this one. Unless of course you are truly devoted to scientific exploration :wink:
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 am

Rahsaan wrote:FWIW, if you have any 05 Croix Boissee you might want to hold off opening that. As it should be even more tannic than this one. Unless of course you are truly devoted to scientific exploration :wink:

Funny you should say that, I almost picked up a bottle of 07 Croix Boisee last month but thought it would be just too sacrificial.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 am

I have 3 bottles of this wine sitting in my cellar. The only Baudry wine available in Alberta.
Earlier this month in London I purchased the `05 Le Clos Guillot. Thoughts anyone?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have 3 bottles of this wine sitting in my cellar. The only Baudry wine available in Alberta.
Earlier this month in London I purchased the `05 Le Clos Guillot. Thoughts anyone?

Check out http://www.thewinedoctor.com/loire/baudry.shtml
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks Oswaldo!! It is usually me that posts that link, LOL.
My new wine would appear to have potential eh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:28 am

Rahsaan wrote:I think with some age you might think differently. Grezeaux is a nice terroir and 2005 is a big structured year. Should be a very elegant wine in about 10-12 years.

Same advice to holders of the 2004, like me?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:30 am

2004 and 2007 are very different years from 2005. I would definitely open the 2007 Grezeaux now given that it is younger and likely to not yet have 'shut down.' I don't have recent experience with the 2004, but it was not as tannic a year as 2005 so depending on your preference for aging Chinon and what type of a priority it is in your cellar, I could see a very easy argument being made for opening a 2004. Unless someone else has recent data points to the contrary?
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:06 am

I have a few of these deeply buried. I once read a note on it calling it an "angry wine". May have been Jim Cowen, but it sounds about right.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Gregg, I am paying $25 Cdn for the `05 and happy!