The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is your top "off-beat" grape?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What is your top "off-beat" grape?

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:But have you had a really good Chambourcin?

As an Eastern US wine writer and wine judge for 25 years or more, I've had several hundred Chambourcins in the US, a few in Canada and a handful in Australia. And maybe some unlabeled stuff in France.

I do not consider it a "noble" wine grape. At best a compromise for use in places where it's not economically feasible to grow vinifera ... but they should probably just give it up and plant blackberries in those places instead.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Savagnin; it's the grape used to make vin jaune in the Jura.

Also fer servadou, which is usually a bit player in Madiran and Cabardes, but is also bottled on its own by Domaine Genouillac.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 pm

The new one for me (before I went into this current can't drink phase) was vermentino and the whites from Sardina. I had just started to notice a flurry of these charming whites turning up around town.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:
Joe Moryl wrote:Oh, you can keep your red hybrids, but I have a weakness for a good Vignoles (aka Ravat 51).

But have you had a really good Chambourcin?

I've had some that other people consider good, but I didn't care for them. As red hybrids go it is one of the better ones, but what Robin says....
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Hoke wrote;
……. Marzemino doesn't suck.

Mozart will agree with that.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 am

Has anyone mentioned Symphony? Had a glass tonight with coconut chicken breast, very nice. Bravo Ironstone.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ryan Maderak wrote:But have you had a really good Chambourcin?

As an Eastern US wine writer and wine judge for 25 years or more, I've had several hundred Chambourcins in the US, a few in Canada and a handful in Australia. And maybe some unlabeled stuff in France.

I do not consider it a "noble" wine grape. At best a compromise for use in places where it's not economically feasible to grow vinifera ... but they should probably just give it up and plant blackberries in those places instead.

I wasn't claiming that its a 'noble' grape, but I believe 1. that it has its own merits, even in the company of vinifera, and 2. it gives regions like the Midwest a quality grape with uniqueness, identity, and the chance to make wines with more than just curiosity value. The Midwest, for example, will never be able to compete even with that small amount of vinifera it grows, and much of the rest of the world would not even consider planting Chambourcin - which means the Midwest, e.g., has the chance to make something of the grape, and of the region itself in the process.

And if any of you doubt the charms of Chambourcin, go here: http://www.pirtlewinery.com/ and order some. I've had Chambourcin from around the Midwest, and in my humble opinion, you haven't truly experienced Chambourcin until you've had Pirtle's Chambourcin. And their Mead is excellent as well; and their Apple wine (aged in used brandy barrels from the nearby McCormick distillery). I admit I love this winery and am somewhat biased, but rest assured I have no vested interest, and nothing to gain from recommending it, except to spread the love!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: Not Dan...

by Dan Donahue » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 am

TomHill wrote:
Keith M wrote:Wow, really? From where? The only still dry Pinot Meuniers I've had were from Germany and they offered little of interest to make me want to explore the grape further. Good to hear there is promise after all . . .

Keith,
Not Dan, but only play him in the movies!!
AdamLee makes about the best one I've had at Siduri. Much like his Pinots, but a little more earthy, a little more
clunky. But pretty tasty.
Tom

Tom hit it right on the head. Adam Lee's PM Van der Kamp bottled under the Novy label is an excellent value, which reminds me that I need to order some of the '07. I'm interested to see how his Nebbiolo turns out. That would be a real rarity: a good Nebbiolo not from Piedmont.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:30 am

Oh, how could I forget? Durella, the grape that makes Durello, which would be a serious competitor to prosecco, except I don't think there's very much of it made. The region is Lessini, to the northeast of Soave. Dama del Rovere (the Pra family of Soave fame) and Marcato both make really nice, crisp, aromatic sparklers. I'm sure there are others, just haven't run across them yet...
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Oh, how could I forget? Durella, the grape that makes Durello, which would be a serious competitor to prosecco, except I don't think there's very much of it made. The region is Lessini, to the northeast of Soave. Dama del Rovere (the Pra family of Soave fame) and Marcato both make really nice, crisp, aromatic sparklers. I'm sure there are others, just haven't run across them yet...

I really liked the Durello I had from Cantina di Montecchia di Crosara, but I don't believe I've encountered any others. Very crisp indeed.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwww, Dan...

by TomHill » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:Tom hit it right on the head. Adam Lee's PM Van der Kamp bottled under the Novy label is an excellent value, which reminds me that I need to order some of the '07. I'm interested to see how his Nebbiolo turns out. That would be a real rarity: a good Nebbiolo not from Piedmont.

Awww, Dan... there's a lot of good Nebbs not from the Piedmonte. Some come from Gattinara/Gehmme. My favorites are from the Valtelline. And some tasty ones from Calif. Adam's is one of the best,,,but speaks a lot of Siduri/Novy winemaking..but still definitely Nebb. Palmina makes some good ones. And one of the best is DueVigne...worth tracking down. Granted, some of the greatest Nebbs come from Piedmonte...and some of the most ugly ones as well.
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 pm

I can't believe this thread has gotten to three pages with nobody mentioning chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, or zinfandel.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 am

Rahsaan wrote:I can't believe this thread has gotten to three pages with nobody mentioning chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, or zinfandel.

You did. :?

A lot of what happens in threads like this is that we get into whether or not a grape is "worthy" (see the brief Chambourcin discussion) versus peoples' personal favorites (which I think is more the point). The key test for me in this kind of dicussion is whether or not I have to use the "master qualifier" in descibing the wine. When I drink Chambourcin (and I have had more than a few) I normally have to say: "that's pretty good for a Chambourcin."

I am not trying to pick on Chambourcin here (I like the ones from Chaddsford in PA), but rather express why I consider Scheurebe to be my "top" offbeat grape - I virtually never have to use the "pretty good for a scheurebe" statement.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

by win_fried » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

Hi,

if it is not clear whether Scheurebe is an off-grape, how about Huxelrebe. I have had very nice Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese from that (Pfalz and Rheinhessen) :roll: .

Regards Winfried
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:55 am

I like Huxelrebe, but only as an auslese or higher wine. I have never had a Huxelrebe that I thought was worth drinking at the kabinett or spatlese level, whereas Scheurebe does very well across the spectrum.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 am

David M. Bueker wrote:When I drink Chambourcin (and I have had more than a few) I normally have to say: "that's pretty good for a Chambourcin."

[Sigh] . . . .Where's the love? I have occasional said "Chambourcin can do better than this," but I've certainly never used the 'master qualifier.' Like I said, I like Chambourcin for its own merits - I think it's a good grape, not merely 'good for a hybrid.' 'Fantastic for a hybrid' would be more like it. But you know, I think the reason I appreciate it so much is because the first one I was introduced to was an excellent one (Pirtle Winery, see above), and having seen what the grape is capable of, I more often than not find charm in the various ones I've tried. Mind you, my intent is not to start a debate to establish its merits, or defend my opinion - I like it, and that's all that matters to me. But it is certainly 'off-beat,' and there wasn't a vinifera/non-vinifera qualifier to the thread.

Mind you, I'm not generally speaking all that fond of hybrids, but having lived my life in various parts of the Midwest, I've been exposed to them, and learned to appreciate the better ones. But my special affection is reserved only for Chambourcin, although I am fond of good Traminette (the good ones are like super-spicy GT), and I've had enough good Vignoles to appreciate it as well. OTOH, Foch always gets the 'master qualifier' from me, and I do sometimes question why it exists. Same for Chardonnel, although my principle complaint there is not so much that it's bad, but simply that it's boring. I once had some hope for Seyval Blanc, but now I'm not so sure about it.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 am

I started my wine journey in Virginia in the '80s, so I was exposed to more than my fair share of hybrid wines. Back then there was a lot more focus on hybrids than there is now.

I was just never all that impressed, even when I was totally new to the hobby.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:but having lived my life in various parts of the Midwest, I've been exposed to them, and learned to appreciate the better ones. But my special affection is reserved only for Chambourcin

Ryan, I think you and I have been here before. I am glad that you like Chambourcin and I must admit that Chambourcin is my favorite red hybrid. It also has potential to be made in other styles as some work was done in Maryland on drying it and making it in an Amarone has proven. My problem is that I just don't like Chambourcin as much as I do Cabernet Franc. In the midwest, if you have a site that can grow good Chambourcin then you most likely have a site that can grow good Cabernet Franc. Every time I taste a Chambourcin, even a good one, I find myself thinking why did they not grow Cabernet Franc.

Understand that I am not challenging what you like, I just find the living in the midwest arguement when it comes to Chambourcin somewhat hard to accept.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Awwww, Dan...

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 pm

TomHill wrote:
Dan Donahue wrote:Tom hit it right on the head. Adam Lee's PM Van der Kamp bottled under the Novy label is an excellent value, which reminds me that I need to order some of the '07. I'm interested to see how his Nebbiolo turns out. That would be a real rarity: a good Nebbiolo not from Piedmont.

Awww, Dan... there's a lot of good Nebbs not from the Piedmonte. Some come from Gattinara/Gehmme. My favorites are from the Valtelline. And some tasty ones from Calif. Adam's is one of the best,,,but speaks a lot of Siduri/Novy winemaking..but still definitely Nebb. Palmina makes some good ones. And one of the best is DueVigne...worth tracking down. Granted, some of the greatest Nebbs come from Piedmonte...and some of the most ugly ones as well.
Tom

Tom,

Gattinara and Ghemme are still in Piedmont, just a lot further north than Barolo.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:19 pm

My new unusual favorite is Fumin, from the Valle d'Aosta. Deep color, spicy/meaty/berryish/herbal aroma, exciting.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Tom,
Gattinara and Ghemme are still in Piedmont, just a lot further north than Barolo.

Yup....correct. But when I think most people mention Piedmonte Nebb, they're thinking Barolo/Barbaresco. That was the assumption I was making.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Savagnin; it's the grape used to make vin jaune in the Jura.

Also fer servadou, which is usually a bit player in Madiran and Cabardes, but is also bottled on its own by Domaine Genouillac.

Had an outstanding blend with a heavy dose of fer servadou from Gaillac. Labortain, or something like thAt.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:My new unusual favorite is Fumin, from the Valle d'Aosta. Deep color, spicy/meaty/berryish/herbal aroma, exciting.

Is this any relation to the Furmint found in Hungary and other E. European countries?
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Fumin is believed to be an indigenous grape of the Aosta Valley of Northern Italy. IMHO the wine produced from Fumin could be very much “Syrah-like”

Salute
PreviousNext