The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is your top "off-beat" grape?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What is your top "off-beat" grape?

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:50 pm

I don't know if they are really 'off-beat' but two grapes that I don't usually drink but wish I could drink more of are lagrein and mondeuse. From my limited experience they have intriguing characters but I haven't had enough opportunity to explore them in-depth. Hence they remain 'off beat' from my usual routine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Those are pretty off-beat Rahsaan.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:42 pm

No one top grape for me, but the following less common grapes would have a welcome regular place in my lineup of wines: hondarrabi zuri, lagrein, mencía, plavac mali, silvaner (from Franken in Germany), and verdejo (not really offbeat there--I just don't drink enough of them).

I have had some experiences with other wines that would make me very favorably disposed to exploring wines made from the following grapes further: baco noir, catawba, chambourcin, charbono, coda di volpe, dolcetto, erbaluce, fumin, garganega, grignolino, humagne rouge, moschofilero, norton, petite arvine, petit rouge, pineau d'aunis, poulsard, and teroldego.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 pm

Keith M wrote:No one top grape for me, but the following less common grapes would have a welcome regular place in my lineup of wines: hondarrabi zuri, lagrein, mencía, plavac mali, silvaner (from Franken in Germany), and verdejo (not really offbeat there--I just don't drink enough of them).

I have had some experiences with other wines that would make me very favorably disposed to exploring wines made from the following grapes further: baco noir, catawba, chambourcin, charbono, coda di volpe, dolcetto, erbaluce, fumin, garganega, grignolino, humagne rouge, moschofilero, norton, petite arvine, petit rouge, pineau d'aunis, poulsard, and teroldego.

Not a bad list.

I think one reason I am less likely to explore 'off-beat' grapes in general is because I am such a fan of mono-cepage wines and 'purity'. There are relatively few grapes that can handle that spotlight and the reason many 'off-beat' grapes are not in that spotlight is because they have traditionally been used as relatively-minor blending grapes. (Not that many of the grapes in your list don't make fabulous mono-cepage wines).

But, I guess geography also plays a big role because right now we are most familiar with the grapes from France and to some extent Italy, Spain, and Germany. But, as more winemaking traditions from around the world receive more attention, all of this is sure to change.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:I just find the living in the midwest arguement when it comes to Chambourcin somewhat hard to accept.

Hey Brian,

"Hard to accept" is a surprisingly strong statement. Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what 'living in the Midwest' has to do with it, though. Chambourcin was not an acquired taste for me - it was 'love at first site.' And it wasn't through acclimation to hybrids: that was early enough in my wine drinking life that I'd only been exposed to a few, and to this day, I still dislike most of the hybrids I didn't like when I first tasted them (i.e., living in the midwest and being exposed to them has not changed my tastes, although it has allowed me to experience about the best that most of the hybrids are capable of - which often isn't much, I should note). Perhaps I don't entirely understand what you're getting at. But I will say this: I like Chambourcin because I like Chambourcin - it has a delightful charm for me, and it 'resonates' with my personality somehow. And I don't find that particular kind of charm it delivers in any other grape - and for that I seek it out. In short, I make no apologies for my tastes.

Incidentally, I've heard good things about Cab Franc from the Ohio River Valley, and had been meaning to try one, but just hadn't gotten around to it (and not for lack of wanting mind you - damn my grad student salary).

Best Wishes,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:"Hard to accept" is a surprisingly strong statement. Could you elaborate?

I am sure I could have worded that better. When I was in the midwest, I found that many folks believed that vinifera could not successfully, or at least profitably, be grown. Hybrids were considered the way to go, predominately for winter hardiness. There were the few crazy folks who would bury their vinifera vines each fall but the extra work required did not make this acceptable to most people. Of all the red hybrids out there, I find that Chambourcin makes the wine that I appreciate the most and it seems that many felt the same as it seemed that almost everyone was making one. Only thing is Chambourcin is one of the most cold tender hybrids out there. It also requires a long growing season. Such that once one looks closely at it Chambourcin does not offer the same benefits as the other hybrids and behaves more like Cabernet Franc.

My issue is really more with the growers and winemakers who seem to have accepted that vinifera can not be grown yet continue to grow/make Chambourcin. Or worse, they want to keep the consumers believing that hybrids are the grapes of the midwest so they can continue to sell there "home grown" wines while importing vinifera from out of state. I know only a few folks that would be willing to drink Chambourcin over Cabernet Franc if both wines were made properly, reasonably priced and came from within the state. But if the vinifera cost substantially more and comes from out of state, well then things look different to the consumer.

Ryan Maderak wrote:In short, I make no apologies for my tastes.

Nor should you.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 am

Ah, okay Brian, got it. Personally I'd be thrilled to see the Midwest have success with vinifera, and you know, I think I agree that if a winery in the Midwest offered both a Chambourcin and a Cab Franc at the same price, I'd be more likely to try the Cab Franc. The problem for me is that, whether its true or not, wineries in the Midwest that grow vinifera seem to act like it's expensive to produce, and they price it accordingly. Although, Huber Winery in southern Indiana seems to have consistent success with their Cab Franc, which is only $20 - 25, and now available here in Bloomington. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend that much on a single bottle often, and when I do, I have so many other things I want to try, and don't want to blow it on something that might only be curiosity value (I am so glad the end of grad school is in sight).

But, even if inexpensive vinifera were available from the Midwest, I would still want a nice Chambourcin here and there.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Some Austrians and a Friuli

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 am

I haven't read all the previous postings here so forgive me if any of these are repetitious: Zierfandler, Rotgipfler, Gelber Muskateller, Schilcher and Friulano.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Incidentally, I've heard good things about Cab Franc from the Ohio River Valley, and had been meaning to try one, but just hadn't gotten around to it (and not for lack of wanting mind you - damn my grad student salary).

Ryan, Huber Orchard & Winery in Starlight, Ind., on the Knobs just about Louisville, makes a small amount of a surprisingly good Cab Franc (100% estate grown), and they want $19.99 for the 2005, which isn't an awful deal.

Here's what I wrote about it after a Huber tasting dinner at the (sadly defunct) Rockwall Bistro in Floyds Knobs, Indiana, last year:

Braised lamb - inch-thick rib chop, on the bone - was long-braised, served with roasted shallots and red-skin potatoes on a plate decorated with thick, sweet dots of 10-year-old balsamic vinegar. It married well with Huber’s Cabernet Franc, an Indiana-grown red European-style grape variety. The wine is relatively light in color with peppery and “herbaceous” aromas over fresh red-berry fruit, dry and tart, not unlike a Chinon or other sought-after Cabernet Franc from France’s Loire Valley.

Full restaurant review including wine notes
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ryan Maderak wrote:Incidentally, I've heard good things about Cab Franc from the Ohio River Valley, and had been meaning to try one, but just hadn't gotten around to it (and not for lack of wanting mind you - damn my grad student salary).

Ryan, Huber Orchard & Winery in Starlight, Ind., on the Knobs just about Louisville, makes a small amount of a surprisingly good Cab Franc (100% estate grown), and they want $19.99 for the 2005, which isn't an awful deal.

Here's what I wrote about it after a Huber tasting dinner at the (sadly defunct) Rockwall Bistro in Floyds Knobs, Indiana, last year:

Braised lamb - inch-thick rib chop, on the bone - was long-braised, served with roasted shallots and red-skin potatoes on a plate decorated with thick, sweet dots of 10-year-old balsamic vinegar. It married well with Huber’s Cabernet Franc, an Indiana-grown red European-style grape variety. The wine is relatively light in color with peppery and “herbaceous” aromas over fresh red-berry fruit, dry and tart, not unlike a Chinon or other sought-after Cabernet Franc from France’s Loire Valley.

Full restaurant review including wine notes

Huber's Cab Franc recently became available at a shop here in Bloomington - at some point, I am going to try it.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:01 pm

The list of recovered Spanish varieties is now very long and pretty fascinating, from marmajuelo to albarín, but I'll stick to two very good red ones I grow myself: bobal and garnacha tintorera (yes, that's alicante bouschet – but it's still pretty offbeat.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:05 pm

I like Alicante very much.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Looks like we can all have fun on Wine Focus this coming month! Off-beat whites!
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm a little late to the party but one more vote for Vignoles and a thank you to Joe Moryl who pointed me in this direction many moons ago..
Jenise..I have been enjoying the last 2 vintages of the Arneis from Seghesio, in Sonoma..First discovered Arneis via Ceretto's version

Looks like one man's offbeat grape is another man's favorite..I wd vote for Falanghina ..very tasty white, lots of minerality....and besides, Robin called it offbeat back in 2005..(4/6/2005) good enough for me
Jon
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

My choice would be the red variety de chaunac. It is a hybrid grown in Ontario and it has a unique taste profile. Waupoos winery from Prince Edward County offers it.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 am

All of my oddball offbeat grape varieties have been "discovered" by wine hipdom, so I am left to nurse my scuppernog as the only one they won't touch 8)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 am

Mark S wrote:All of my oddball offbeat grape varieties have been "discovered" by wine hipdom, so I am left to nurse my scuppernog as the only one they won't touch 8)

Damned internet wine hipsters! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm

How offbeat does Ehrenfelser count (hey it is summer and a well made Ehrenfelser tastes great while on a sunny deck)?
For the reds, I have had some yummy Marechal Foch.

Can you say 'spot the Canadian' ?(since these wines are not uncommon here!)

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Croatina baby!

Stinky, tannic, awesome. Frequently vinified frothy.

Also, I was recently in a town in Tuscany called Montecarlo (there's a Montecarlo DOC) and picked up a bottle of Alicante Bouchet (elsewhere spelled Bouschet).
It was good stuff! Apparently that grape used to be big in California during prohibition. The grapeskin was thick enough that they could send the grapes cross country to NYC where Italian immigrants would make wine at home with it. Apparently hundreds of thousands of bottles of the stuff!
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

by David Mc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Müller-Thurgau

I had a fantastic bottle of Weingut Schweinhardt 2007 Rivaner Qualitätswein. Very light, dry and flowery. I was surprised that the MT was a major grape in Germany.

I also had a nice Pinot Noir from Germany: Weingut Losen Bockstanz 2007 Pinot Noir Spätburgunder. It was a bit sweet but very light and hints of black cherries.

I think it's time to look at Germany again!

Dave
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am

Agostino Berti wrote:...picked up a bottle of Alicante Bouchet (elsewhere spelled Bouschet).
It was good stuff! Apparently that grape used to be big in California during prohibition. The grapeskin was thick enough that they could send the grapes cross country to NYC where Italian immigrants would make wine at home with it. Apparently hundreds of thousands of bottles of the stuff!

Italian immigrants STILL make thousands of bottles of wine from Alicante Bouschet grapes. Here in western Canada, the grapes are shipped up to Italian grocery stores by the truckload. They come from Lodi to eager home winemakers. We used to get grapes and make wine ourselves and used the Alicante as a tint.
It is hard to grow grapes when you live at 53 degrees north latitude!

:)

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Beautiful to hear that Ruth! Glad there are still some good traditions around. Its not just that its cold, with the price of wine these days its way more economical to make your own I'm sure. If you let the grapes sit around long enough you could make Amarone!!
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 am

Only just zoomed in here as haven't visited for a while.

Some fantastic off-beat grapes already mentioned especially from Jura, Friuli, Aosta, Valais and Savoie (Mondeuse), but there's a white that's no-one's mentioned from Savoie that I'd put in a vote for - it's their most under-rated white grape - Altesse - used to make Roussette de Savoie (and in some older books the grape is incorrectly named Roussette). And also for reds, I like the crossing that you can find in Geneva, Switzerland - Gamaret.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
Previous