The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Scholium Project and lots of Cote-Rotie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Scholium Project and lots of Cote-Rotie

by Salil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:44 am

From a fun casual dinner Jay Hack put together at Il Corso. Theme was Cote-Rotie (mostly from this decade but some of us stretched the rules a bit), although Robert Dentice brought a pair of Scholium Project whites that stole the evening. Great company (nice to meet Ramon from this board as well at the dinner!) and some really interesting, at times heavily debated wines. The '03 Cote Roties were quite polarizing over the table with a few people really liking the trio - I was at the other extreme as I really struggled with the Jamet and Guigal Brune et Blonde in particular, finding both to have a very roasted/stewed character that was for me quite offputting and dominated the other nuances and complexity.

Scholium whites:
2008 Scholium Project Riquewihr Lost Slough Vineyards
Gewurztraminer, 15.8% alcohol. Light yellow colour with explosive aromatics showing flowers, tropical fruits, spices, musky perfumed notes and an interesting metallic element. Medium bodied on the palate with bright pineapple, guava and green mango flavours over metal and minerals. With time this really opens out with both the fruit and mineral elements gaining in weight and intensity. Finishes with good length. A really fascinating wine to sit down with and follow over the evening.
2008 Scholium Project Naucratis Lost Slough Vineyards
Verdelho, 16.3% alcohol, and by far the craziest wine I've ever tasted in my life. I love this! This is just absurd. Absolutely crazy nose with a ton of honeydew melon, tropical fruit and bright floral notes with an intense minerality that makes you wonder whether a rock quarry somehow got put through the press along with the grapes. Explosive fruit flavours on the palate with an intensity and power that brings Zind-Humbrecht to mind and an incredible dynamic mouthfeel that's liquid velvet for the first few sips before the minerality suddenly kicks in to the point that it feels more solid than liquid with shards of metal and rocks grinding in the back of the mouth. Finishes very long with perfect balance - a shock to see the label and find out this is 16.3% alcohol! A really amazing, unique experience (and my WOTN).

Cote Roties:
First flight
2005 Yves Cuilleron Cote-Rotie La Madiniere
Bright ruby red colour and incredibly fragrant with gorgeous aromas of smoke, violets, meat, some pepper and red and dark fruits. Elegant and medium bodied in the mouth with gentle fruit, smoky and meaty flavours that build up with each sip and a spine of good acidity and grainy tannins. This isn't a powerhouse by any means, but there's a sense of real freshness and brightness to the flavours here that makes it very pleasant to sit down with and explore over an evening with food.
2001 Saint Cosme Cote-Rotie
Strange funky nose showing aromas of earth, leather, raspberries and bell pepper with a blue cheese note that's faint at first but picks up and dominates the aromatics with time. Medium bodied in the mouth with a silky mouthfeel and flavours of dark berries, leather and some greenish notes. Finishes a little short.
1999 Pierre Gaillard Cote-Rotie
Clear bright red colour with a beautiful, complex nose that's a little reticent at first but opens with air to show leather, earth, smoked meat, briary red fruits and faint violet notes. Silken in texture in the mouth with seamless fruit, leather and smoky flavours, grainy tannins at the back and bright acidity underneath. Very well structured, giving the impression that this should last and keep developing a good while - but already delicious now.

Second flight
1995 Guigal Cote-Rotie Brune et Blonde
Corked. Debated a bit at the table as there was some bright red fruit, smoke and leather clearly perceptible, but a few of us found the dreaded cardboard/newspaper aroma in there as well.
2003 Guigal Cote-Rotie Brune et Blonde
Dark purple colour with a huge nose of dark fruits, vanilla, lavender and a roasted/caramelized flavour element that I found offputting. Dense and chewy-textured in the mouth with lots of blueberry and blackberry fruit with a slightly roasted flavour component over vanilla and faintly earthy notes. Feels heavy and soft, lacking the elegance and structure that I look for in Cote-Rotie.

Third flight
2003 Jamet Cote-Rotie
Dark purple-red colour with a huge nose showing stewed black fruits, raspberry compote, apricot, bacon fat and floral notes. Dense and concentrated on the palate showing intense fruit and smoky flavours, but with a stewed/roasted character I found tiring and low acidity. Not my style, although others at the table liked this a lot more.
2003 Bonnefond Cote-Rotie
Shows a rich dark fruited flavour profile with faintly meaty, floral and roasted coffee notes underneath, but with time the roasted flavour elements start to disappear and this gains a sense of freshness and brightness on the palate. Full bodied and plush in texture but showing a little more definition and structure underneath than the other '03s. I'd have liked to spend more time exploring this one as it seemed to really improve with air.

Fourth flight
1997 Guigal Cote-Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis
Fabulous nose - starts out reticent and musty to the point some of us wondered if it was mildly corked, but with 15 minutes of air this opened out incredibly to show ash, meat, old leather, smoke and perfumed notes over a core of bright red and dark fruits. Spectacular in the mouth with a seamless array of fruits and smoky, meaty flavours echoing the nose, good acidity and fine tannins underneath, finishing long and savoury. Outstanding.
2001 Guigal Cote-Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis
Full bodied and intense with ripe blackberry and olive flavours mingled with meat, earth, pepper and faint smoky notes on the nose and palate. Rich and silky in texture, but with good acidity and tannic structure underneath all the fruit. Finishes with good length and power with the savoury fruit and meaty flavours lasting a good while.

Capping the night off with an amazing sticky
2002 Alois Kracher Chardonnay Trockenbeerenauslese #2 Nouvelle Vague
Bright yellow-gold colour with an intoxicating nose of honey, pineapples, coconut, sweet limes and spices. Full bodied and slightly viscous in the mouth yet showing no sensation of heaviness, mouthcoating tropical fruit and honeyed flavours and an incredibly long finish. Wow!
Last edited by Salil on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Scholium Project and lots of Cote-Rotie

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 am

Too bad about the '95 Guigal Brune et Blonde. I'm opening one tonight & will report back.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Hope that one shows well! There was enough going on to give the impression that a pristine bottle would have been really great (and my couple of other experiences with older Brune et Blonde have been very enjoyable, particularly an '85 a year ago that was quite spectacular).
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Salil - I was interested in reading these notes, as I was at the offline last month and would have attended this one if I didn't have other plans. I own a few of these Cote Roties. One, the 2003 Jamet I opened a couple of years ago seemed to appeal to the New World wine lovers, as opposed to a 1998 Jamet at the same dinner which appealed to us Old World drinkers.

What do you think about the 2001 St. Cosme? I pulled a bottle out of my Eurocave for drinking within the next couple of months. Should I hold onto it a little longer? Your note does not sound too enticing. Although, the 2001 D'Ampuis sounds lovely and those are stuffed way in the back of my Eurocave.

I have yet to have a Scholium Project that I've liked or could make sense of. Maybe last night would have changed that. Sorry I missed out.
Diane
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks for the detailed descriptions of the Scholium Project wines. I've never sampled any from that producer, but your descriptions give me a good idea of what their wines might be like.

The Chardonnay TBA sounded fascinating as well, and, perhaps surprisingly drinkable . . . interesting stuff all around.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Salil - I was interested in reading these notes, as I was at the offline last month and would have attended this one if I didn't have other plans. I own a few of these Cote Roties. One, the 2003 Jamet I opened a couple of years ago seemed to appeal to the New World wine lovers, as opposed to a 1998 Jamet at the same dinner which appealed to us Old World drinkers.

What do you think about the 2001 St. Cosme? I pulled a bottle out of my Eurocave for drinking within the next couple of months. Should I hold onto it a little longer? Your note does not sound too enticing. Although, the 2001 D'Ampuis sounds lovely and those are stuffed way in the back of my Eurocave.

I have yet to have a Scholium Project that I've liked or could make sense of. Maybe last night would have changed that. Sorry I missed out.

Diane - see if you can make the next one (Cabs from anywhere, I think) then! Always a chance Jay or Robert might bring another Scholium along (I'm threatening Jay with low alcohol Riesling otherwise :D).
Re. the Cote-Roties - not surprised at your thoughts on the Jamets. I found all the 03s to be very New World-ish, and not in a good way - I like a lot of cooler climate Aussie, NZ and Californian Syrah/Shiraz, but if I had been served the 03 Jamet or Guigal B-et-B blind I might have easily guessed either to be a brute from the Barossa Valley or Paso Robles. Those wines did polarize the table - I managed a few sips of the Jamet and Guigal, but loved the more classical and elegant Gaillard, Cuilleron and Ampuis wines.

The Saint Cosme was a strange wine although with a bit more funk than I normally like in Syrahs - not even sure how representative a bottle it was (as that blue cheese element was something I don't expect at all in Cote Rotie), but don't think there's any harm in checking in on a bottle now (as there's plenty of fruit as well as other flavours and it's not too young and tannic right now).

Keith - I thought the Kracher TBA was really stunning. I was a bit wary beforehand as my experience with the Kracher-Krankl "Mr. K" from Sine Qua Non wasn't particularly enjoyable - I found their Chardonnay too heavy, syrupy and cloying, but this was really outstanding and beautifully balanced.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:16 am

Salil - the '95 Guigal was fantastic last night. Notes to follow later or over the weekend.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:59 am

Somehow, I have missed this post on one of my favourite wine types for 3 days. :?

Very interesting notes, Salil. There are very few references to oak based flavours, even on the Cuilleron, Gaillard and Château d'Ampuis, which are all places where I would have expected to find some. Were they so well integrated that you felt that no comment was called for?

The Guigal B&B 03 does sound oaky, however, as well as typically 03 and therefore not much to my taste.
Tim York
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Tim York wrote:The Guigal B&B 03 does sound oaky, however, as well as typically 03 and therefore not much to my taste.

My notes on the tasting included the presence of wood and oak on the Guigal B&B 2003. In spite of that, I liked this wine's structure, with it's ripe black fruit without the so-called 2003 vintage heat. Among the 03's, I thought this performed the best, better than the Jamet Cote Rotie which really showed it's level of alcohol.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera