The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Oregon Winery Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Oregon Winery Question

by Jim Grow » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I recently bought a bottle of 2006 Athena "Dionysus Les Vignes de Marcous", a Bordeaux blend from Natalies Estate Winery in Newberg Oregon. Their website isn't very helpful. Has anyone out there tried it ( How about you Linda L.)? Alcohol by volume is 14.9 which seems a bit high for Oregon but may reflect the vintage.
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Oregon Winery Question

by Linda L » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:10 am

Hey Jim
I know Natalies estate well, it's a small world out here. The owners are Boydd & Cassandra Teegarden, and of course thier adorable daughter - Natalie. They are located in Newberg, with a driveway that wont allow for large trucks, so they have thier new barrels delivered each year to my place. They specialize in the warmer varietals (not typical for the valley and grown in other parts of the state, or Washington). Boydd worked for my distributor for a number of years and we probably met maybe 10 years or so ago... great folks.
I have had a few of the thier wines and found them lovely, but can't give you any specifics, except if they made it, it is likely yummy.
If you want more information, let me know and I will call them
Let us know your thoughts when you pop it.
Cheers !
Linda
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 am

Jim Grow wrote:I recently bought a bottle of 2006 Athena "Dionysus Les Vignes de Marcous", a Bordeaux blend from Natalies Estate Winery in Newberg Oregon. Their website isn't very helpful. Has anyone out there tried it ( How about you Linda L.)? Alcohol by volume is 14.9 which seems a bit high for Oregon but may reflect the vintage.

I'm not familiar with this winery, but their web site lists the following vineyard sources for Bordeaux grape varieties in their latest releases:
Red Willow Vineyard (Yakima Valley), Elephant Mountain Vineyard (Yakima Valley), Pines Vineyard Merlot (Columbia Valley), and Hillside Vineyard (Columbia Valley). They specifically call out their 2007 Athena Dionysus as a Yakima Valley blend.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 am

I got to taste through his wines about 9 months ago when Boyd brought them by. I had gotten to know Boyd when he worked for that wine distributor as well. They also have a label called Rock Horse. I feel that across the board they are very solid wines and fairly priced.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks to all for your response. I will probably pop the singleton soon and post on it.