The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2005 Clément-Pichon, Haut-Médoc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rudi Finkler

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:06 pm

Saarland, Germany

TN: 2005 Clément-Pichon, Haut-Médoc

by Rudi Finkler » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:28 pm

This Cru Bourgeois first came under my radar seven or eight years ago when I bought a few bottles of 1999 Clément-Pichon at a very good price in a wine store in Wiesbaden. Surprisingly elegant and fruity it offered the seductive charm of southern Margaux and southern Médoc. Not quite as complex as the splendid 1999 from the neighbouring Château d’Agassac -one of the best wines I’ve enjoyed from this vintage- but nevertheless an excellent wine...

Not surprisingly, the 2005 Clément-Pichon is outstanding. The dense nose is a little closed but very promising. Dark coloured, with the full range of black and red fruits, this is a very elegant and opulent wine. After an hour pure cherry fruit dominates on the palate. Tannin and acidity are nicely integrated, and the finish is impressive. A wine of finesse. I think Château Clément-Pichon certainly deserves more attention. BTW, owner Clément Fayat is also the man behind La Dominique in Saint-Emilion.
Rudi
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2005 Clément-Pichon, Haut-Médoc

by Jenise » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Rudi Finkler wrote: this is a very elegant and opulent wine. After an hour pure cherry fruit dominates on the palate. Tannin and acidity are nicely integrated, and the finish is impressive. A wine of finesse. I think Château Clément-Pichon certainly deserves more attention.

Indeed, judging by your praise and the paucity of tasting notes in our archives about this wine (yours is the first). Wonder if it's not imported outside of Europe?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:01 pm

One of the frustrating things about buying Bordeaux in the USA is the sad lack of good Cru Bourgeois.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rudi Finkler

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:06 pm

Saarland, Germany

by Rudi Finkler » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am

Since at least a decade, incompetent winemaking is now the exception rather than the rule in Bordeaux... and the time is over for the old classifications, these superfluous relics of feudalism, especially for the completely outdated Médoc Classification of 1855... Meanwhile there are an awful lot of Crus Bourgeois, châteaux from the so called lesser-known appellations, and even producers of generic Bordeaux that constantly produce excellent and outstanding wines...hundreds…
Sorry to hear that many Crus Bourgeois aren’t available in the States. Fortunately, I live on the French Border, and most of the really interesting Bordeaux wines are available in our region. :P
Rudi
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Rudi, you're right about the joys of Cru Bourgeois. In fact, I'm about to post a TN on another 2005.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov