The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: This week's offerings including my birthday wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: This week's offerings including my birthday wines

by David Lole » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Earlier in the week I cracked a 2006 Cape Mentelle Chardonnay that looked particularly youthful with a perfect balance of fruit, acid and oak, subtle secondary barrel complexities, lovely mouthfeel and a zesty, dry and crisp lingering finish. 92 points.

Thursday night was my birthday dinner with my family and best friend at a nearby restaurant that was good enough for the occasion without breaking any records for quality or the budget. We opened the following -

Vincert Girardin 2004 Mersault 1er Cru "Les Perrieres" - a marvellous fusion of terroir, fruit and oak - one could almost smell and taste the stony soil in this wine. Stunning aromatics of ripe green melon, nectarine and guava with complex meal and stony/mineral notes followed by a palate with gorgeous pear/melon/guava fruit flavour/quality, a subtle earthy/stony accompaniment, perfectly-judged minerally acids and a whopping long departure. A beautiful thing. Drink now - 2014. 93 points.

Bruno Clair 1993 Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru "La Dominode" - I'm prepared to give this wine the benefit of the doubt and quantify it's less than stellar performance as a case of several years too late. The colour was enticing as was the nose - redolent with juicy red cherries, mushrooms, sap and spice. The palate had dropped it's fruit. There were no staleness or oxidation - just an abundance of virtual "nothingness", stripped of its fruit, a lot of astringent dryness on the inside of the mouth and not much length. Passed it. Bummer. 65 points for colour and nose!. A one-off recent "chance" purchase. This wine could have been very good indeed 5-7 years ago.

As this above wine was met by strange looks and the occasional set of rolling eyes, I decided to open my reserve red, Wynns 1992 John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon. As befits one disaster, another is sure to follow, and the cork, even with careful extraction with a trusty screwpull, crumbled into several thousand small pieces leaving a significant amount of fine cork in the first few pours. The wine was sound with a deep colour, typically weedy/cedary nose underscored with deepset curranty fruit and suggestions of capsicum and dried herbs. The palate revealed plenty "more of the same", firmly structured but just a tad green and astringent to my taste. There's still plenty of "oomph" here and perhaps it needs the statutory minimun 20 years of bottle age before it hits its best drinking window. My guess is it will never be great. 86 points on a good day from me.

We skipped desserts and my 1982 "sweet" Loire, so I opened my final offering for the evening - a Seabrook bottling of Chambers 1971 Vintage Port. Made from "Port varieties" this exceptional fortified represents one of the finest wines of its type I've tried for some considerable time. Saturated dark ruby/deep blood red colour. Massively concentrated but hauntingly beautiful nose full of lavish aniseed licquer, licorice, lantana, Asian spices, sweet earth, treacle, creosote, blackberry jam, wonderfully clean lifted spirit and a subtle rancio top note. The palate no less impressive with an identical bevy of nuance, incredible density, wonderful flavour profile, still so fresh and vibrant with that rare quality of seeming immortality. Immaculate structure with mountains of cleansing acid/astringency matching/counterbalancing the wealth of fruit with a gorgeous, integrated fine-grained tannin structure holding through to an almost perfect conclusion. Rates up there with some of the all-time greats of Australian fortified wine production. 97 points. Drink now- 2021+.
Last edited by David Lole on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN - This week's offerings including my birthday wines

by Lou Kessler » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:18 pm

The overall 2003 vintage in Europe produced a great many weak wines. Actually in our store we've had a great many 03s offered on big discounts from the original wholesale prices from various companies.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:The overall 2003 vintage in Europe produced a great many weak wines. Actually in our store we've had a great many 03s offered on big discounts from the original wholesale prices from various companies.

Can't fathom the relevance of your post to mine, Lou, but thanks for the information. :wink: :?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:33 pm

David Lole wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:The overall 2003 vintage in Europe produced a great many weak wines. Actually in our store we've had a great many 03s offered on big discounts from the original wholesale prices from various companies.

Can't fathom the relevance of your post to mine, Lou, but thanks for the information. :wink: :?

I can't either. I got your 93 Burg confused with an email and a friend who I was comparing some other notes on wine with at the same time. Obviously I'm not up to multi tasking at this point in time. Sorry :roll:
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: This week's offerings including my birthday wines

by Salil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Happy birthday David - although sorry to hear about those two reds disappointing.

That Chambers does sound amazing. The sweet wines from Victoria are truly brilliant and IMO underappreciated beauties - we find very few of them here, and normally the selection is restricted to only the fortified Tokays and Muscats (I refuse to use the crazy new names they've come up with) from Chambers and RL Buller, with the 'Ports' and other stickies staying down under.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:58 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Happy birthday David - although sorry to hear about those two reds disappointing.

That Chambers does sound amazing. The sweet wines from Victoria are truly brilliant and IMO underappreciated beauties - we find very few of them here, and normally the selection is restricted to only the fortified Tokays and Muscats (I refuse to use the crazy new names they've come up with) from Chambers and RL Buller, with the 'Ports' and other stickies staying down under.

Salil

If you haven't tried them yet, the Rare fortified Muscats out of Rutherglen are an amazing wine. Incredible concentration of flavour and pair superbly with a chocolate desert.

Mark
PS David happy birthday. I have been tempted to open one of the 98 JR. Is it a complete waste of a good bottle of wine?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 am

Mark, I've had the RL Buller Rare Calliope Muscat and Tokay in the past - both are truly amazing wines, although I prefer buying the 'basic' entry level Muscat/Tokays which go at a fraction of the price here for more casual drinking.

As for the '98 John Riddoch - while I'm not David, I'll chime in and add that I did open a bottle last spring - absolutely wonderful wine but still incredibly young with a ton of primary fruit and structure still there. Certainly not a waste (if you like a young Cab every now and then), but that is an amazing wine with a very long life ahead.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:45 am

Mark Kogos wrote:PS David happy birthday. I have been tempted to open one of the 98 JR. Is it a complete waste of a good bottle of wine?

Thanks Mark and I'm not opening one of mine until 2018. I'd say you can try one but remember I'm still drinking all my Riddoch's from the 'eighties, let alone any from the 'nineties. '98 was a seriously good year. I'd try one in 2013 if you can wait that long, Mark. If you go for it now, open/decant it early and give it some breathing time and monitor how it looks as the air gets to it. When you find it's in a good place, back into the clean/dry bottle and cork back in.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 am

Many happy returns of the day, David. :D

David Lole wrote:
Bruno Clair 1993 Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru "La Dominode" - I'm prepared to give this wine the benefit of the doubt and quantify it's less than stellar performance as a case of several years too late. The colour was enticing as was the nose - redolent with juicy red cherries, mushrooms, sap and spice. The palate had dropped it's fruit. There were no staleness or oxidation - just an abundance of virtual "nothingness", stripped of its fruit, a lot of astringent dryness on the inside of the mouth and not much length. Passed it. Bummer. 65 points for colour and nose!. A one-off recent "chance" purchase. This wine could have been very good indeed 5-7 years ago.

This sounds odd; I wonder if it was an "off" bottle, though the fine colour and nose argue against that. 1993 was a fine structured vintage in Burgundy and Clair's La Dominode is more structured than many in Savigny. I had some 1992s, a much weaker vintage for red Burgundy, which were excellent and quite sturdy but were drunk up before their 10th birthday.

We skipped desserts and my 1982 "sweet" Loire, so I opened my final offering for the evening - a Seabrook bottling of Chambers 1971 Vintage Port. Made from "Port varieties" this exceptional fortified represents one of the finest wines of its type I've tried for some considerable time. Saturated dark ruby/deep blood red colour. Massively concentrated but hauntingly beautiful nose full of lavish aniseed licquer, licorice, lantana, Asian spices, sweet earth, treacle, creosote, blackberry jam, wonderfully clean lifted spirit and a subtle rancio top note. The palate no less impressive with an identical bevy of nuance, incredible density, wonderful flavour profile, still so fresh and vibrant with that rare quality of seeming immortality. Immaculate structure with mountains of cleansing acid/astringency matching/counterbalancing the wealth of fruit with a gorgeous, integrated fine-grained tannin structure holding through to an almost perfect conclusion. Rates up there with some of the all-time greats of Australian fortified wine production. 97 points. Drink now- 2021+.

It sounds great. I've never seen an Aussie port. But we wouldn't be allowed to call it that here.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm

David Lole wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:PS David happy birthday. I have been tempted to open one of the 98 JR. Is it a complete waste of a good bottle of wine?

Thanks Mark and I'm not opening one of mine until 2018. I'd say you can try one but remember I'm still drinking all my Riddoch's from the 'eighties, let alone any from the 'nineties. '98 was a seriously good year. I'd try one in 2013 if you can wait that long, Mark. If you go for it now, open/decant it early and give it some breathing time and monitor how it looks as the air gets to it. When you find it's in a good place, back into the clean/dry bottle and cork back in.

David

I figure I can wait until 2013. I will just have to find something else to drink. Having returned to Australia in 2000, 1998 was the first real year I started collecting again. (The place also known as Fortess Australia has horrendous taxes on wine. Trying to bring a cellar into the country would result in an outlay roughly equal to 40% of the market value of the imported wines.) Trouble is, it was such as big year that the gems are still some time off being ready to drink. Even the 98 Wynns BL still seems some distance off.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Mark, I've had the RL Buller Rare Calliope Muscat and Tokay in the past - both are truly amazing wines, although I prefer buying the 'basic' entry level Muscat/Tokays which go at a fraction of the price here for more casual drinking.

As for the '98 John Riddoch - while I'm not David, I'll chime in and add that I did open a bottle last spring - absolutely wonderful wine but still incredibly young with a ton of primary fruit and structure still there. Certainly not a waste (if you like a young Cab every now and then), but that is an amazing wine with a very long life ahead.

Salil

I agree the Rare are pricey. As a "house" alternative, I normally keep a bottle of the Stanton and Killeen Classic Muscat. With an average of 12 years in the bottle I find its flavours are more developed than the base entry alternatives. Locally it is around $30 so a bottle will last ages.

http://www.stantonandkilleenwines.com.a ... &Itemid=38
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Tim York wrote:Many happy returns of the day, David. :D

David Lole wrote:

This sounds odd; I wonder if it was an "off" bottle, though the fine colour and nose argue against that. 1993 was a fine structured vintage in Burgundy and Clair's La Dominode is more structured than many in Savigny. I had some 1992s, a much weaker vintage for red Burgundy, which were excellent and quite sturdy but were drunk up before their 10th birthday.

It sounds great. I've never seen an Aussie port. But we wouldn't be allowed to call it that here.

Tim,

Thanks for your input. I took a large remainder of the Clair home and tried it over three days. It oxidised extremely quickly (as a lot of red burgs do) and deteriorated every day to be an undrinkable mess by last night. Tom Blach suggested the wine had just shut down but I'm not so sure he was right on that one.

Australians now call their various Ports, Muscats and Tokays by other quite strange names these days!
Last edited by David Lole on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 pm

David Lole wrote:Bruno Clair 1993 Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru "La Dominode"...a case of several years too late..

Or several years too early. :wink:

One never knows with this stuff!