The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What ever happened to....??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

What ever happened to....??

by John F » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Reading the Parker feud thread got me thinking (always dangerous....)

When I first joined this forum there used to be a whole crowd of "regulars" who posted actively and were a real mainstay of the forum. I'm thinking Iversons, Manuel and especially Chris Coad who I thought wrote some of the funniest and most creative posts of all time.

Then they all just disappeared.......what happened??
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: What ever happened to....??

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Old story, long story, none of it very good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:47 pm

John F wrote:Reading the Parker feud thread got me thinking (always dangerous....)

When I first joined this forum there used to be a whole crowd of "regulars" who posted actively and were a real mainstay of the forum. I'm thinking Iversons, Manuel and especially Chris Coad who I thought wrote some of the funniest and most creative posts of all time.

John, the simple, but true story is that they were driven away by the personnel who are supposed to oversee the forum. We have a philosophy much like Wal-Mart. which is "If we don;t have it, you don't need it". That may get me banned, and if it does........
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
John F wrote:Reading the Parker feud thread got me thinking (always dangerous....)

John, the simple, but true story is that they were driven away by the personnel who are supposed to oversee the forum. We have a philosophy much like Wal-Mart. which is "If we don;t have it, you don't need it". That may get me banned, and if it does........

wakarimashita ("got it" in Japanese)

I'm not trying to light a fire here for anyone - I was just wondering. I can tell from the 2 responses that there was a "break" of some sort and looks like some hard feelings - no need for me to know anymore

Thanks
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:24 am

To put it another way, those people can now be found... elsewhere.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:34 am

Bob,

Your response will not do much good for anyone. The vast majority of the "old guard" left as part of a change in the old WLDG. The "Basement" over there has some issues and sometimes resulted in hurt feelings (much like the F&F forum here). A group of folks chose to leave & start their own forum. No one was banned/pushed out. In fact the old software could not do that.

I will mention that one of the old guard was so kind to me when I first came to the WLDG (early 1999) as to call me an "idiot" and ask "what the **** are you doing" about a wine flight I asked about. So it wasn't all roses back in the day.

Times change. Many of the departed don't post much of anything anywhere anymore.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:53 am

I don't know this history, so I don't get it. I haven't been here long, and know that there have been unsavory bust-ups in the past (something about a P*nicky sock), but I have always found the "personnel who are supposed to oversee the forum" extremely civil and, at most (and, even so, rarely), testy when under duress, or dry as a way to control emotion (both of which I have no problem with as long as we remain polite and agree to disagree).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 am

I started out on the internet in various fora dealing with the "debate" between biological evolution and creationism. You probably cannot think up name that I had not been called in that setting (e.g. "anti-Christ evilutionist Nazi"). On its worst day the tone in this discussion group is almost unimaginably civil by comparison. Even the cork v. screw cap threads are relatively tame. I've done my level best to start threads heaping scorn and ridicule on those who like Sancerre, but they never take hold for some strange reason. :) It seems to me that one may have to be looking to be offended/disrespected to be driven from the WLDG.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 am

Sam Platt wrote:It seems to me that one may have to be looking to be offended/disrespected to be driven from the WLDG.

I haven't been here long, but have the same impression. Wine forums evolve over time, just like anything else, and the occasional departure of certain posters into electronic oblivion also occurs on other forums. Besides which when all is said and done, I am happy to trade problems and frustrations with anybody whose biggest problem in life is getting agitated about discussions of fermented grape juice...

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 pm

You should see the discussions on a typical college football fan forum - comments will curl your hair sometimes. :shock: I got banned from an opposing team's forum once for calling the moderators out on their tightfisted censorship of dissenting views, even when given civilly and backed up by facts. Of course, my team slaughtered their team on the field of play... :twisted:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I don't know this history, so I don't get it. I haven't been here long, and know that there have been unsavory bust-ups in the past (something about a P*nicky sock), but I have always found the "personnel who are supposed to oversee the forum" extremely civil and, at most (and, even so, rarely), testy when under duress, or dry as a way to control emotion (both of which I have no problem with as long as we remain polite and agree to disagree).

Thank you for that, Oswaldo.

And Sam's right. Bob H has been, unfortunately, singing that same song for years, long before the Iversons left--every time a regular moves on he blames management. IF he were privy to more details he'd know how wrong he is, but as it is I can only assure you that his characterization is grossly incorrect and unfair. And like someone else said, things change, people move on. For lots of reasons.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:24 pm

I remember Chris Coad and Manuel..I go back even further than David..I left for technology reasons, the board format was changed and I cd barely read it..Was too hard on my eyes..I came back several years ago after corresponding with Robin...

I find this format easier to read..
This board, like all boards, had its share of characters..The current version is however populated by very civil participants who are quite polite..There are a number of Garrites who also post on the EBob site as well which shd come as no surprise.

As to why anyone left, I'm sure there are all sorts of stories and reasons..Not something I ever dwelled on
Jon
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I started out on the internet in various fora dealing with the "debate" between biological evolution and creationism. You probably cannot think up name that I had not been called in that setting (e.g. "anti-Christ evilutionist Nazi"). On its worst day the tone in this discussion group is almost unimaginably civil by comparison.

I can't even start to imagine what those forums would be like, except for suspecting there would be no middle ground or 'floating voters' whatsoever.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:38 pm

I guess the challenge in this is for us ALL to make sure we don't cross the boundary, or if we do, that we have the humility to say sorry.

In general the wine/food side of the forum is about as supportive and friendly as any forum I've encountered. The level of positive feedback is exceptional.

With friends and fun, I did get some very reassuring comments from the keen debaters that they maintain a healthy mutual respect to those they tussle with. Long may this mutual respect remain, because perhaps in the past we can see what happens when we lose this...

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwww, Man....

by TomHill » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:
This board, like all boards, had its share of characters.......

Awwww, man....say it isn't so, Jon. Characters on WLDG??? I simply can't imagine any around this here part of CyberSpace!!

People move on. Sometimes they leave because of real or imagined slights inflicted upon them by management or other board members. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they have a new kid and real life intrudes. Fortunately, many of us refuse to let real life intrude on out CyberSpace life.
Tom
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:54 pm

As a minor player with both the old guard and the new one. I guess I missed the fun. Our break betweem the two was technology (read Netscape), and a state to state move with a six month break in internet. I do appreciate all the nice treatment both old and new that I've received.

Carl
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 pm

I've been around this board and a few others for about 10 to 12 years. I think my first post was on Robin's board in 1998. People come and go for numerous reasons, verbal wars are just built into this kind of forum. Robin does a good job overall but you'll never make everybody happy. Some of the arguements and blowups are legendary among wine people. All of us at times take our selves too seriously. Over the years you could just about write a book about wine sites on the internet. The book would defintely fall into the category of humor. :lol: :roll:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:You should see the discussions on a typical college football fan forum - comments will curl your hair sometimes. :shock: I got banned from an opposing team's forum once for calling the moderators out on their tightfisted censorship of dissenting views, even when given civilly and backed up by facts. Of course, my team slaughtered their team on the field of play... :twisted:

Georgia Sucks! :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 pm

As Groucho said, I wouldn't be part of a club that would have me as a member. If there was anything sinister, I'd be long gone with the rest of 'em.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:You should see the discussions on a typical college football fan forum - comments will curl your hair sometimes. :shock: I got banned from an opposing team's forum once for calling the moderators out on their tightfisted censorship of dissenting views, even when given civilly and backed up by facts. Of course, my team slaughtered their team on the field of play... :twisted:

Georgia Sucks! :mrgreen:

Not as bad as Kentucky. :wink: :mrgreen:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:34 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Not as bad as Kentucky. :wink: :mrgreen:

Kentucky will beat Georgia in FOOTBALL in Athens, this season!
:) <...ME :( <....YOU
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 am

Hope springs eternal Bob. Glad to see you have goals. :D
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

Bullsh!t. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Bullsh!t. :wink:

And in Basketball too! Both games! :evil: :twisted:
Bob Henrick
Next