The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What ever happened to....??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: What ever happened to....??

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
And in Basketball too! Both games! :evil: :twisted:

Well that at least seems more likely now that Vito Corleone is coming in as coach. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 am

Sam Platt wrote:I've done my level best to start threads heaping scorn and ridicule on those who like Sancerre.

WARNING: THREAD-JACK

Curious to hear your thoughts on that, Sam.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Sam Platt :
I've done my level best to start threads heaping scorn and ridicule on those who like Sancerre.

Ryan,

It all began innocently enough. I was given two bottles of Sancerre as a gift from a well intentioned friend. I tasted the wine and felt that it must have been an off bottle since I could not differentiate it from water with a tiny lemon wedge tossed in. So I opened the other bottle only to find the same “flaw”. I assumed that the wine came from a bad producer. I tried another producer with the same disappointing result. What started as passing fancy became a quest. I tried numerous Sancerre vintages, and producers always with the same result – weak lemon water. In my wisdom I came to realize that I was right and it was Sancerre that was wrong; if I couldn’t appreciate the wine then it was not to be appreciated! That is when I began my campaign against Sancerre. I assumed that I would be joined by a throng of closet Sancerre haters from across the country and around the world. Unfortunately, no one paid any attention to me and my movement fizzled in its infancy. But that’s okay! I rest assured in my largely uniformed, overly strident opinion that someday I will be vindicated and Sancerre will vanish from the face of the planet.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Sam Platt wrote:It all began innocently enough. I was given two bottles of Sancerre as a gift from a well intentioned friend. I tasted the wine and felt that it must have been an off bottle since I could not differentiate it from water with a tiny lemon wedge tossed in. [snip] That is when I began my campaign against Sancerre. I assumed that I would be joined by a throng of closet Sancerre haters from across the country and around the world. Unfortunately, no one paid any attention to me and my movement fizzled in its infancy.

It seems there are some fellow travelers for you . . .
from White Lies: Why sauvignon blanc is overrated. By Mike Steinberger

slate.com wrote:But this excitement is reserved for the nose; all the mouth gets is a limp, lemony liquid that grows progressively more boring with each sip. Sauvignon blancs almost never evolve in the glass—they simply fill the space.
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Sam Platt :
I've done my level best to start threads heaping scorn and ridicule on those who like Sancerre.

Ryan,

It all began innocently enough. I was given two bottles of Sancerre as a gift from a well intentioned friend. I tasted the wine and felt that it must have been an off bottle since I could not differentiate it from water with a tiny lemon wedge tossed in. So I opened the other bottle only to find the same “flaw”. I assumed that the wine came from a bad producer. I tried another producer with the same disappointing result. What started as passing fancy became a quest. I tried numerous Sancerre vintages, and producers always with the same result – weak lemon water. In my wisdom I came to realize that I was right and it was Sancerre that was wrong; if I couldn’t appreciate the wine then it was not to be appreciated! That is when I began my campaign against Sancerre. I assumed that I would be joined by a throng of closet Sancerre haters from across the country and around the world. Unfortunately, no one paid any attention to me and my movement fizzled in its infancy. But that’s okay! I rest assured in my largely uniformed, overly strident opinion that someday I will be vindicated and Sancerre will vanish from the face of the planet.

Perhaps I am in a splinter group as Sancerre is just about my least favorite version of SB...
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Sam et al.,

I must say I'm a bit surprised by the fierceness of Steinberger's attack. As varietal whites go, Sauv Blanc is my favorite grape (although Chardonnay as represented by white Burgs has been gaining on it). I love their purity and focus. Although, I can see what Steinberger is getting at: outside of the Loire, where they don't often get the mineral depth, they can be no more than a refreshing drink, although I am very fond, with no apologies, of Marlborough SB, and also of Chilean SB. However, I don't believe that SB is capable of greatness; but I also don't feel (as some seem to), that the potential for greatness is requisite for enjoying a grape thoroughly and evening preferring it. There is after all a difference between a grape being a favorite with respect to your personal preferences, and thinking that because it is a favorite it's wines are the best, or the greatest. Like I said, no apologies from me. All that said, give me a lifetime supply of Puligny 1er Cru, and I'll promise never to touch SB from outside the Loire or Bordeaux again.

Now, my initial curiosity, Sam, was fueled by the fact that I love Loire SB, particularly Pouilly-Fume, although I haven't had many of the later. But, I've never had a Sancerre that I've been particularly enthusiastic about, and I can certainly see your perspective there. Now, some say that P-F is very similar, but to me P-F has greater focus, but also greater depth. So my question is, is your crusade just against Sancerre, or against P-F and/or the other Loire SB as well? Now, as Pouilly-Fume goes, it is in particular Cuvee Silex bottlings that are the source of my enthusiasm - you can almost ignore the fruit and loose yourself in the mineral depth of those, and I think on that basis that P-F deserves more than a passing nod by Steinberger. But like I said, I make no apologies for my palate.

Best Wishes,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 pm

I find it hard to believe that people cannot appreciate Sancerre from Cotat or Vatan.

That said, I never get around to buying much of the stuff myself.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 am

Rahsaan wrote:I find it hard to believe that people cannot appreciate Sancerre from Cotat or Vatan.

Haven't tried any yet, although I've heard a lot of good things. Then again while I'm in the US I've focused my white buying on my narrow-minded range of only Germans, Austrians and Alsace whites, and right now am trying to restrain myself from not buying a whole lot more from other producers I love/am interested in from those areas and have neither the space or budget for - so buying/trying any of those Sancerres isn't planned any time soon.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Then again while I'm in the US I've focused my white buying on my narrow-minded range of only Germans, Austrians and Alsace whites...

In recent years I have more or less the same strategy. Except with Western Loire whites instead of Alsace.

So much wine and not enough time!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:06 am

Four words: I hate Sauvignon Blanc.

Four more: unless it has botrytis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Four words: I hate Sauvignon Blanc.

Such strong words!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Such strong words!

Tried & tested. I have no problem if other folks want to drink the stuff, but I've been through the mill on this one (Europe, USA, New Zealand...).
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Four more: unless it has botrytis

They say everyone has at least one flaw in their palate. So yours has been exposed. :roll:
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:Not as bad as Kentucky. :wink: :mrgreen:

Kentucky will beat Georgia in FOOTBALL in Athens, this season!
:) <...ME :( <....YOU

I didn't know UK had a football team. :wink:
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 pm

MikeH wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

The CMU grad needs to keep his nerdy nose out of this fight! :wink:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:21 pm

Kentucky always starts off strong, bottom-feeding on weaklings until the Wildcats are 4-0 or 5-0, then usually struggle to win another as they reach the UGA-FLA-TN-and-SC part of the schedule. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm

MikeH wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Mike, tickets to the Miami (of Ohio) and UK in the house of the Bungles, are available. Spend some money, and go see some real football! :-) I mean, STEELERS? Really? GO COWBOYS!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 pm

BOB!!!! The Cowboys? Really? The Cowboys are in the lowest circle of hell. White zin comes before the Cowboys! Never let me see that in print again or you are banned! :evil:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Guys, can you please take this elsewhere?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

James Roscoe wrote:BOB!!!! The Cowboys? Really? The Cowboys are in the lowest circle of hell. White zin comes before the Cowboys! Never let me see that in print again or you are banned! :evil:

James, obviously my old buddy Bob has gone off the deep end. :shock: This calls for an extreme measure. I'm calling for an INTERVENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you and every sane person join me?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:44 pm

C'mon Oswaldo - a little football talk is a problem? Forget Man U (losers) and Chelsea, this is real football talk. :wink:

Indeed we have drifted off course, but it's good to have some fun.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Ryan wrote:So my question is, is your crusade just against Sancerre, or against P-F and/or the other Loire SB as well?

Ryan,

Though I can't say that I am a huge fan of SB in general I do have a particular disdain for Sancerre. I think that "focus" is the right word. Sancerre seems to lack any real wine character that I can get my arms around. I have had some passable P-F's and I do like some SB's from the southern hemisphere. Cloudy Bay and Kim Crawford are among my favorites. I want to like Sancerre. I really do. It seems like a wine that I should like... but I don't like it. Not any of it. I wasn't even excited by the Cotat, which was my last, best hope. So I continue on my journey, now joined by David and SteveG, to alert the world to the disappointment that awaits their next sip of Sancerre.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:it's good to have some fun.

I hate fun. I'm into pleasure. :twisted:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Then there was the lead guitarist for Aerosmith.

Or someone like that...

F
PreviousNext