The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 01 ESJ Bassetti, 98 Bernard CDP, D. Chandon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

WTN: 01 ESJ Bassetti, 98 Bernard CDP, D. Chandon

by Frank Deis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 am

We have a Greek friend who celebrates "real" Easter today -- and last night we invited him and others over for a pre-Easter dinner.

We started out on our neighbor's deck with an appetizer involving shrimp and fresh mozzarella in a tasty salad. I buy more French Champagne than CA bubbly but in the informal setting, with food, I thought the Chandon Brut would be good. It's a little sweeter than a French Brut to my palate but otherwise it was refreshing and good and went very well with the dish (the recipe was in an old Wine Spectator from about 10 years ago).

Then we came back to our dining room for the main course -- butterflied leg of lamb which had been marinated for a few hours, recipe from Julia Child, and then grilled to tender perfection by our neighbor (while we were on his deck) -- served with asparagus, rice pilaff, and my wife's version of ratatouille. Naturally I thought of Syrah and my first thought went to Chateauneuf du Pâpe. I brought up the 1998 Louis Bernard CDP and at first I was rather pleased with how it tasted. But it was oddly "out of focus" and as the meal progressed, more and more I realized that the wine was corked, it became very clear after a few minutes. So I brought out a dump bucket and explained the situation and dumped my glass and the glasses of those next to me. Some people thought it was fine and continued with the CDP.

But I had also brought up the 2001 Edmunds St. John Bassetti Syrah, and I was glad to have the excuse to open it. ESJ wines have been hard to find in New Jersey, and I think I ordered my bottles from a shop in California that was willing to ship. This wine was a "wow!" wine, walking a fine line between the rich fruit of a California Syrah and the stylistic elegance of a good Syrah from the south of France. I was very impressed, it is a delicious wine. I think I have noticed ESJ in a few more local wine shops and I will be looking to pick up some more after tasting this one.

Anyway, a nice meal, and a really good wine.

Frank
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 01 ESJ Bassetti, 98 Bernard CDP, D. Chandon

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am

The 2001 Bassetti is an amazing wine. It's so good that I have polished off all but one of my bottles. :(
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2001 Bassetti is an amazing wine. It's so good that I have polished off all but one of my bottles. :(

How typical is the 2001? If I buy more recent vintages are they likely to live up to the 2001 or is it a really special vintage?

Frank
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:24 pm

I think the 2003 is not quite as good as the 2001, but the 2005 is better than 2001 & destined to be long lived.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I think the 2003 is not quite as good as the 2001, but the 2005 is better than 2001 & destined to be long lived.

I agree with that analysis. I still have 3 or 4 bottles of the 01 and it's still improving. I rarely do but I put a full case of the 05 in my cellar.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Not to mention the fact that 01, 03, and 05 were the only 3 vintages ever made.

Special editions!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I think the 2003 is not quite as good as the 2001, but the 2005 is better than 2001 & destined to be long lived.

I agree with that analysis. I still have 3 or 4 bottles of the 01 and it's still improving. I rarely do but I put a full case of the 05 in my cellar.

After you've been thrown off the wild firehose, the '03 is perfect!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...