The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

These last 2 weeks I have been a corked magnet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

These last 2 weeks I have been a corked magnet

by michael dietrich » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:12 pm

These last 2 weeks I have had more than my share of corked wines. Between work and home I amn over 15%. Tonight it was a bottle of 2003 Charvin Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Luckily I also opened a bottle of Sang des Cailloux Vacqueyras Cuvee Floreto 2001 that is amazing. It has a very dense core of dark, spicy fruit that goes on and on.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: These last 2 weeks I have been a corked magnet

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 am

michael dietrich wrote:These last 2 weeks I have had more than my share of corked wines. Between work and home I amn over 15%..

On the positive side, you are laying the statistical groundwork for fewer incidences of corked wines in your future!
no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

by Liz Gray » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 am

Well if we are lying statistical groundwork here, I should never find another corked bottle in my life! I recently came across an entire *case* of corked chardonnay at my work. The customers were not very happy. My manager's response was "It's barely noticeable. Serve it anyway." Between me and the head chef we finally over ruled her and had the case returned.
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Good on you Liz - it's good to stand your ground when you know it's the common-sense thing to do... and indeed better for the company in the long-run.

regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Liz Gray wrote:Well if we are lying statistical groundwork here, I should never find another corked bottle in my life! I recently came across an entire *case* of corked chardonnay at my work..

Depends on how slowly you drink!

If roughly 5% of bottles are corked, that case should give you a roughly 240 bottle free pass. Although of course probability doesn't work that way..

Another confounding problem is that an entire case of corked wine is an outlier, most likely due to a special problem with the winery that year.

Regardless, nice that you stood up for all that is Just and True!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 pm

I was at a wedding reception recently and was pleased to see an open bar. Several people at my table were drinking a white wine so I had a glass, too. Immediately my nose told me it was corked - one of the few times I've experienced a corked wine in a venue of this type. I mentioned it to the table and few knew what I was talking about. I walked over to the bar and, not expecting much from the hired server, I said, "This wine is corked." I was pleasantly surprised when, very professionally, the server, poured a sample, smelled it and agreed without hesitation. The bottle was set down in the back of the room and a new bottle was opened and tested to be fine.