The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Blends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

William Foster

Rank

Just got here

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Danville, Ca

Blends

by William Foster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 am

Is anyone aware of any Red Varietal that when blended with a white varietal, produces a marketable wine?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: Blends

by Salil » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am

Pinot Noir with Chardonnay usually tends to sell quite well.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 am

Cote Rotie is made from syrah that sometimes has viognier in the blend. The amount of viognier is usually quite small, but it is often there.

Of course there's also Champagne - typically a blend of pinot noir, pinot meunier (both red) and chardonnay.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07 am

William Foster wrote:Is anyone aware of any Red Varietal that when blended with a white varietal, produces a marketable wine?

Yes, it is the practice in the region of the Northern Rhone Valley known as Cote-Rotie to blend in up to (I think) 15% Viognier in the Syrah made there. This is done as a cofermentation, so the grapes are combined in the fermenter and fermented together. Various Australian wineries (D'Arenberg is one that I'm aware of) follow the same practice with Viognier/Shiraz blends. Also, in the Southern Rhone region of France, the rules of Chateauneuf-du-Pape permit the inclusion of up to 13 varieties in their "red" wines, five of which are white. Two producers that I know of, Chateau Beaucastel and Domaine du Pegau, make a point of using all thirteen grape varieties in one of their wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am

Oddly, rosés as a blend of red/white grapes seem very rare and IIRC some regions specifically forbid such a blend. It's a funny world!

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 am

It is still permissable to blend trebbiano with sangiovese in Chianti DOCG. Scandalous, but true.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Various Australian wineries (D'Arenberg is one that I'm aware of) follow the same practice with Viognier/Shiraz blends.

Torbreck's also done some experimenting with Shiraz/Marsanne and Shiraz/Roussanne blends. Had one of them about a year ago, and it was quite awful. Smelled and tasted like melting plastic.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:25 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Oddly, rosés as a blend of red/white grapes seem very rare and IIRC some regions specifically forbid such a blend.

Schillerwein is a pretty common weissherbst/rosé in Württemberg, Germany, that blends red and white.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:45 am

Dave Erickson wrote:It is still permissable to blend trebbiano with sangiovese in Chianti DOCG. Scandalous, but true.

It was obligatory until about 10 years ago. Pure Sangiovese could not be labeled "Chianti." The restrictive rules helped lead to the whole phenomenon of Supertuscans, which originally carried the cheapest designation, "Vino di Tavola." Chianti had to follow the original formula and that included some white grapes.

F
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Oddly, rosés as a blend of red/white grapes seem very rare and IIRC some regions specifically forbid such a blend. It's a funny world!

regards

Ian

Tavel, however, is a wine that fosters the blending of red and white.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Indeed, this thread is timely as the EU have recently proposed allowing wider use of blended red/white grapes to make rosé - and are meeting stiff resistance from France & Italy it would seem.

quote:

Italians to form coalition against EU rosé proposals
April 21, 2009

Suzannah Ramsdale

Rosé producers in Italy have joined forces to fight EU proposals to allow the mixing of red and white wines to make rosé.

Two Lake Garda rosé associations – Bardolino and Garda Classico – are working together for the first time since they were created in 1968.

'We must be against a European law that allows the mixing of red and white wines to produce rosé,' Sante Bonomo, president of the Garda Classico consortium, told decanter.com.

'It would be a complete humiliation for rosé producers and those who drink it. This new way of producing wine would be damaging for the entire wine world. Not only would the European Community be legalising a false product, they would be standardising low quality products.'

Bonomo and Giorgio Tommasi, president of the Bardolino consortium, have signed and sent a letter to the Italian Minister for Agriculture, Luca Zaia, and the President of the EU Commission, José Manuel Barroso, asking them not approve the new regulations.
The associations also have collected 1,500 signatures from wine journalists, producers, politicians and wine lovers for a public petition.

The producers are not only concerned about the market being flooded with cheaply made 'pink-coloured' wine but also about the effect a proposed labelling system – indicating whether rosé wines have been made with traditional methods - would have.

The groups hope to attract producers from Apulia and Abruzzo to form a larger Italian coalition to oppose the reforms.

The EU wine reform management committee was due to vote on the proposed regulations on 27 April, but will now meet on 19 June, after the World Trade Organisation requested more time to scrutinise the proposals.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Pinot Noir with Chardonnay usually tends to sell quite well.

Sounds like a blend I might like! Perhaps I will try it sometime.. ;)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 pm

I saw a syrah/mouvedre/viognier blend out of South Africa the other day. And several Washington producers are doing Rhone-like co-ferments, like McCrea and Kestler, just to name two I'm aware of.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:36 pm

It's interesting to note that sometimes, blending a white into a red can actually yield a darker wine, especially if the red is low acid and the white is high acid. The greater acidity seems to preserve the pigments that often fall out of solution in lower acid wines.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
William Foster wrote:Is anyone aware of any Red Varietal that when blended with a white varietal, produces a marketable wine?

Yes, it is the practice in the region of the Northern Rhone Valley known as Cote-Rotie to blend in up to (I think) 15% Viognier in the Syrah made there. This is done as a cofermentation, so the grapes are combined in the fermenter and fermented together. Various Australian wineries (D'Arenberg is one that I'm aware of) follow the same practice with Viognier/Shiraz blends. Also, in the Southern Rhone region of France, the rules of Chateauneuf-du-Pape permit the inclusion of up to 13 varieties in their "red" wines, five of which are white. Two producers that I know of, Chateau Beaucastel and Domaine du Pegau, make a point of using all thirteen grape varieties in one of their wines.

Mark Lipton

Mark

The Shiraz Viognier blend has become a major fad down here. Almost every major house is doing one at present. It is generally agreed however that the benchmark version is produced by Clonakilla. I see from WS that a small quantity is imported into the US although I am surprised given most vintages are sold out as soon as they hit the market.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Haven't tried the Clonakilla Shiraz/Viognier - which bottling is that Mark?
Best example of that style I've had so far from down under is the Torbreck Descendant - the '03 was an absolute stunner. Bilancia in New Zealand is also doing some amazing stuff with that blend - their Gimblett Gravels Syrahs are really lovely, and the La Collina - while a bit too pricey for me to ever buy it again - is a real knockout.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Haven't tried the Clonakilla Shiraz/Viognier - which bottling is that Mark?
Best example of that style I've had so far from down under is the Torbreck Descendant - the '03 was an absolute stunner. Bilancia in New Zealand is also doing some amazing stuff with that blend - their Gimblett Gravels Syrahs are really lovely, and the La Collina - while a bit too pricey for me to ever buy it again - is a real knockout.

Salil

Here is the website. Go down to the SV. I have a vertical from 2007 back to 2001. If I ever get back up that way, I am more than happy to bring one with me. Good friend of mine used to live in your neck of the woods but unfortunately I never managed to get up there whilst he was in town.
http://www.clonakilla.com.au/ourwines.html

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Storybook Mountain Vineyards has blended 5 - 10% viognier into zin for their Eastern Exposures blend (or at least, I think that was the one). Worked pretty well when I had it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 pm

I believe Chateauneuf du Pape is allowed to use 13 different grapes, and IIRC at least 2 are white wine grapes. Of course, not all producers use all the grapes.
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Here is an obscure one: Quinta de Encotro, in Bairrada (Portugal), makes a wine called Preto Branco which is a blend of Baga (fiercely tannic red), Touriga Nacional (perhaps the finest red grape of Portugal) and Bical (a native white grape). Have no idea how sucessful this is, as it is not imported into the US, AFIK.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:01 am

As Côte Rôtie has already been mentioned (max 20% Viognier), we should also add Hermitage (max 15% Roussane and/or Marsanne).

Even more astonishing is how many Burgundy growers still add Pinot gris, known locally as Beurot, as a sugar booster or to produce "fat" (gras).

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:15 am

Fredrik L wrote:Even more astonishing is how many Burgundy growers still add Pinot gris, known locally as Beurot, as a sugar booster or to produce "fat" (gras).

Not nearly as astonishing as the fact that nobody is ever willing to name and provide confirmation of those who do.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 am

Tim Kirk, the winemaker at Clonakilla, is one of the most congenial and gracious human being's on planet earth. Apart from that, he is an astute viticulturalist and a brilliant winemaker. His cellar door tastings, winery tour and barrel tastings are one of the great experiences of the Australian wine industry. If anyone from the board intends to visit there, please contact me well in advance and I'll try to set up the appointment with Tim.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Not nearly as astonishing as the fact that nobody is ever willing to name and provide confirmation of those who do.

Kind of like the petite sirah some pinot-only producers buy in California whose presence never shows up on the bottles?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Next