The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Blends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Blends

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:56 am

The rumors run rampant, but I never actually hear the names, nor see any proof.

Had a bunch of Copain wines last night & some of the older ones tasted like they had seen some Cotes du Rhone in their past.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:44 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Indeed, this thread is timely as the EU have recently proposed allowing wider use of blended red/white grapes to make rosé - and are meeting stiff resistance from France & Italy it would seem.

What absolutely nobody — neither Italian and French winegrowing lobbies nor journalists — seem to have realized is that the EU proposal concerns the category of table wines only. Nothing whatsoever would change for AOC, VDQS, DOC, DO, QbA or Prädikat wines.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 pm

David Lole wrote:Tim Kirk, the winemaker at Clonakilla, is one of the most congenial and gracious human being's on planet earth. Apart from that, he is an astute viticulturalist and a brilliant winemaker. His cellar door tastings, winery tour and barrel tastings are one of the great experiences of the Australian wine industry. If anyone from the board intends to visit there, please contact me well in advance and I'll try to set up the appointment with Tim.

David,

Any idea when the 08 SV comes out and the reaction to it? I have managed to string together a vertical from 01 to 07 and am keen to continue it. I was thinking of opening one of the 01 quite soon. Have you tried any recently. As I only have a couple, I am keen not to open it too early.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:57 am

I haven't spoke to Tim for a while now but the last report on the 2008 SV on his website was most encouraging and unlike 2007 there will be plenty made. IIRC, release is usually about September, sometimes a little later.

Haven't tried the 2001 for several years. Loved it as a youngster. The best I've tried thus was the 2005. A surreal, silky wine. I gave it 95 points.

Here are Campbell Mattinson's 2008 reviews of the Clonakilla SV's from 1997 - 2007

1997:
Once it had relaxed in the glass it drank beautifully in a herbal, peppery, floral manner. Drink: Now-2012.
88 points.

1998:
In great shape. Just starting to hit its straps. Bright fruit, smoke, meat, juicy acidity, balance, will live for another ten years at least. Drink: 2009-2017.
93 points.

1999:
Green, stemmy, peppery. Nice wine, pulls a little short but hanging in well. Drink: 2007-2013.
87 points.

2000:
Nice tannin, huge stalky perfume, attractive in a 2002 Victorian pinot manner – but on the night, this just wasn't to my taste. Drink: 2009-2016.
86 points.

2001:
Massively better than anything that has come before. Textural, lengthy, spicy, sweet-fruited, floral, irresistible. Great wine. Drink: 2012-2022.
96 points.

2002:
Gorgeously aromatic, gamey, lengthy, textural – this should be phenomenal in seven to ten years. Drink: 2012-2020.
94 points.

2003:
In great form, with a great future ahead. Combination of spicy interest and slippery-smooth mid- palate texture is glorious. Drink: 2013-2022.
94 points.

2004:
This is great, textural, floral, delicious shiraz viognier. On the night, it seemed fruity and glossy - like the viognier was sticking out a touch more than on the others. Drink: 2010-2022.
95 points.

2005:
A superlative wine. A step up. Pretty, structural, complex, super-persistent, pure, light on its feet and yet powerful. This is the one. Drink: 2014-2025.
98 points.

2006:
Seems sweet, young, raspberried, fruit driven. Very musky, floral, pure and raw. Hedonistic – cop a load of this. Will be outstanding in time. Drink: 2007-2020.
95 points.

2007 (sneak preview):
Black pepper, stalks, cherries, plums. A great one – another 2005, though spicier. Really complex, highly structural, highly textural. Wow. Drink: 2008-2028.
97 points.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 am

David, I just edited your words above to add the name 'Clonakilla' so any future searches on the winery will find your post easily. Looks like good information.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

David

Thanks for that. Prior to 2005, I didn't manage to pick up 6 packs so the wines are on tight ration. With only 2 of the 2001, I think I will wait a bit more time and concentrate on some other wines. Out of interest, how do you find Winefront compared to JO?

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
Previous