The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Pomerol

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 1998 Pomerol

by Bill Spohn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 pm

1998 Pomerol horizontal notes, aka the ‘Fowl’ dinner (all courses were bird based) from a Commanderie de Bordeaux event in Vancouver.
I tend to buy far less right bank than left, and more St. Emilion than Pomerol, and I think this is a common tendency as Pomerols are both a bit more arcane and a lot more expensive. That made this survey tasting all the more interesting.

Gobillard Champagne N.V. – OK, but didn’t get in the way of the pre-dinner chat. Nothing special.

With quail and sweetbreads with porcini mushrooms:

La Croix du Gay – medium light colour, spicy plummy fruit in the nose, medium tannins, quite decent length, pleasant wine drinking well now.

Clinet – dark wine with a briary pudding sort of nose, more tannin, good fruit, still a little obscured by the tannins, but overall a very good impression, needing more time to smooth out. Best of flight.

Certan de May – this one disappointed me. Colour much like the first wine, but significant green in the nose, and a leaner fairly tannic wine that doesn’t have the fruit to balance it. Narrows down on the finish. Too bad.

With Pheasant with foie gras sauce, pancetta and pommes anna:

La Conseillante – excellent spiced nose with a hint of dill, good colour, still carrying some soft tannin, good length, and a nice hit of sweetness in the finish. Ready now. Delightful.

La Grave a Pomerol – darker wine, some dust in the nose, and dark cherries. On palate, a mellow balanced wine with good concentration and length, and an elegance that was welcome.

La Fleur Petrus – sweeter nose, with more dark cherry and vanilla. Mellow balanced wine, also elegant with very good flavour concentration and excellent length. Would love the chance to taste this along side the 1995. No losers in this flight, but I’d call this the best.

With roasted moulard duck breast served thinly sliced with cassis sauce and braised turnips (which did an excellent job of lightening what would have been a too concentrated sauce otherwise).

Gazin – good colour, ripe leathery nose (I usually look up others notes after the tastings, just to see if there is any commonality with what I experienced. Often there ios not, as the reviewers may have sampled the wines 5 – 10 years before, but in this instance RP notes a ‘new saddle leather’ element in the noise that struck a chord. It is still there and it is a great descriptor.) The nose was also nicely perfumed with berry fruit. Good structure, still some softening tannins, and decent length, except that it was blunt, not complex and didn’t taper off smoothly, it rather chopped off abruptly. Don’t know what further ageing will do for this.

Clos l’Eglise – this was a controversial wine. Albert Givton (quite correctly) pointed out that this was an atypical wine influenced by wine reviewers, possibly the CIA and possibly the military industrial complex. Most of the rest of us were unrepentant and responded –“But it is GOOD!” Lovely sweet fruit nose with cocoa, long sweet fruit in the midpalate, not tannic, but I doubt there is any rush. Excellent wine, but I agree about there being close to zero typicity while the sybarite in me whispered ‘So what? Enjoy!’ It is an international but very seductive style, and in my view accomplishes this without going over the top in a new world way as Pavie, for instance, often does. When we did the equivalent St. Emilion event last Fall, that wine stood out and offended my sense of place it was so out of place. Maybe I was weaker willed last night, but the Clos l’Eglise sucked me in.

Lafleur – was interested to see if this wine would merit its hefty price tag. I believe that there was bottle variation as some tables rated this quite highly, while all at my table were more moderate in our praise. Cocoa and fruit salad (I use that term because it was a melange with no one note dominant) nose, really good concentration level, but a tad edgy. Decent length, but not sure where iot is going from here. Over all a bit disappointing.

With a very nice pear and blue cheese tart:

1983 Lafaurie Peyraguey – mid straw colour, pleasant lightly botrycized nose of pear and apricot with a little honey, and some underlying caramel, good concentration and good length. Holding well, but won’t improve from here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1998 Pomerol

by Jenise » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Great notes! I own several of those and am pleased to have your guidance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Looks like a fantastic tasting/dinner. Pomerol has always been a hole in my Bordeaux buying, mainly due to pricing. It was either that or the big black hole of St. Julien sucking up all of my Bordeaux-buying bucks.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm

The problem with right bank is that many Pomerols are expensive, and many (most?) St. Emilions are small producers that don't even ping on the sonar of most consumers unless some critic 'discovers' them, at which point see problem #1 above.

I probably have twice as many St. Emilions as Pomerols. This tasting almost makes me wish that I hadn't all but stopped buying Bordeaux after the 1996 vintage. Some very attractive wines. OTOH, I did save myself a whack of money......