The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Planeta Cerasuolo and J Lohr

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Planeta Cerasuolo and J Lohr

by Jay Labrador » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Short notes from Wednesday night dinner with Nico, Arnie and Johnny.

Planeta Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2007 - Verysweet nose. Cherry and coffee. Smells like a Starbucks Frapuccino. Medium bodied with lots of Cherry and raspberry fruit. Although there's a lot of fruit, it's a dryish wine. Quirky and fun wine for me but some of the others didn't like it.

J Lohr Seven Oaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 - Rather oaky with faded fruit. I think this should have been opened a few years back.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Re: WTN: Planeta Cerasuolo and J Lohr

by Agostino Berti » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:06 am

"Smells like a Starbucks Frapuccino" doesn't sound too flattering, lol.

It's a shame most people know Cerasuolo di Vittoria only through Planeta or some other big concerns.
It can actually be a fantastic wine if made seriously. I find that the 40% Frappato blended in with the Nero D'Avola makes a really nice marriage making a sturdy, ripe, balanced wine which has a wonderful floreality to it. There's a funness to the wine that I really enjoy.

One producer I discovered who is pretty cheap and good is Giordano Calo' - or Calo' Giordano with the last name first as the Italians frustratingly do. He has a website.

What is strange is that Italy has a lot of D.O.C.G. wines - the highest designation for Italian wines, above the lower, but still "quality controlled" D.O.C.. Cerasuolo di Vittoria, only in 2005, became the first D.O.C.G. in Sicily. Not only does it seem kind of late, there are 36 already in the rest of Italy, but you would think some other better known area there would have "won" this distinction first.

Anyways, I like the stuff. Too bad I had to visit Sicily to find some that wasn't made by Planeta or Cos. Luckily, Giordano, who I met in person at Vinitaly and is a pleasant old fox, sent me some up to Milan by courier from his headquarters in Tuscany for a very reasonable rate.

I am preparing to post a TN that includes an older Cerasuolo di V. which had aged quite well. So look out for it.
(too bad nobody cares for this practically unknown wine, but I post nonetheless!)

Cheers, Ago
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus