The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: De Loach California Series Zinfandel 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: De Loach California Series Zinfandel 2006

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:19 pm

De Loach Vineyards
California.

Medium cherry red in the glass.

Raspberry, cinnamon, spicy, fresh on the nose.

Medium weight, raspberry and cherry, creamy, round in the mouth, smoky, spicy, sort of a cherry cough drop thing going on, moderate acidity.

With time, the wine became a bit sharper and took on more of an edge.

Tangy, smoky and cherry on the finish.

More restrained, in a good way, than many "smash-you-over-the-head" Zinfandels. Quite nice. I can see this working well during the summer BBQ season.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: De Loach California Series Zinfandel 2006

by John Treder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Sounds like my feelings about the "new" DeLoach. I'm sure you know that DeLoach went Tango Uniform a couple of years ago, and it's a new outfit that bought the building and name. They're getting a lot of their grapes from Green Valley, just outside Sebastopol. They're trying to be organic.
I haven't quite made up my mind about them yet - I'll be going up there next Tuesday and they're on my list.

Cecil DeLoach has opened a new store just up the street, across from Pellegrini, called Hook & Ladder. Their wines are in the original DeLoach style, a little more exuberant, you might say.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:52 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:Sounds like my feelings about the "new" DeLoach. I'm sure you know that DeLoach went Tango Uniform a couple of years ago, and it's a new outfit that bought the building and name. They're getting a lot of their grapes from Green Valley, just outside Sebastopol. They're trying to be organic.
I haven't quite made up my mind about them yet - I'll be going up there next Tuesday and they're on my list.

Cecil DeLoach has opened a new store just up the street, across from Pellegrini, called Hook & Ladder. Their wines are in the original DeLoach style, a little more exuberant, you might say.

John

I've had a couple of dull, dilute non-Cecil De Loach pinots in recent years and didn't have the impression that anyone was trying to make serious wine there. That's not the case?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:58 pm

The Zin was much as Bruce noted. I wasn't impressed with their PN at the tasting room, either.
I think they're serious about trying to make a business, and looking for tags such as "organic" to sell, but I'm not convinced that they're trying to make wines that have individuality.
I'll be going up to Sonoma County next week and if I don't run out of time I may stop there again, but they're not on the top of my list.
I want to give Wellington and Loxton, next door to each other between Glen Ellen and Kenwood, another visit, and I have to check out the barrels at Coffaro and order some futures.

John
John in the wine county