The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Cave de Saumur Lieu-dit Les Epinats

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: 2007 Cave de Saumur Lieu-dit Les Epinats

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:37 am

Picked this one up for $9.99 this evening. 12.5% alcohol. 100% chenin blanc.

Very pale yellow color. Expressive nose that comes off as citrus blossoms. Very bright lemony-citrus flavor with a waxy undertone.Bracing acidity that is evident on attack and through the finish. Not harsh, but very much leaning towards the tart side of the balance scale. Finishes clean, with a chalky texture and just a bit of the citrus fruit character hanging in there.

Overall, this was a delightful wine. Nothing that you'll want to sit and meditate over but a delicious wine for quaffing on a Friday night when you're stuck alone in charge of three 10 year old girls. For $9.99, it's a QPR star.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: 2007 Cave de Saumur Lieu-dit Les Epinats

by David Creighton » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:38 am

i picked up a bottle of this in Saumur and didn't realize it was available in the US. does it come from that importer in Iowa?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Overall, this was a delightful wine. Nothing that you'll want to sit and meditate over but a delicious wine for quaffing on a Friday night when you're stuck alone in charge of three 10 year old girls. For $9.99, it's a QPR star.

I guess those cirucmstances could make this fun. I have found previous vintages of this to be quite dismal and not even worth $9.99 (which is not the far off from the pricing for great Muscadet).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:07 am

David - This was brought in by Grape Expectations in Richmond, CA.

Rahsaan - I am surprised that your experience with this has been so bad. I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Definitely worth the money, although not a lot more than that.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Rahsaan - I am surprised that your experience with this has been so bad. I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Definitely worth the money, although not a lot more than that.

I wouldn't say 'bad'. I'm just very strict and for my money it paled in comparison to what I could get from Loire chenin for just a few dollars more. But, maybe I should give it another taste.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:
I wouldn't say 'bad'. I'm just very strict and for my money it paled in comparison to what I could get from Loire chenin for just a few dollars more. But, maybe I should give it another taste.

Either that or maybe I need to try a few more in the $15 range. It's a task I should be up to....

- Julia Child