The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Under $15 wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Under $15 wines

by Dale Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm

My local (extremely casual, more about hanging with the guys than serious geekery) local group was meeting at Dave's house. Theme was "Under $15 Value Wines. " I arrived in time to enjoy the last of the sunset over the Palisades and the Hudson from Dave's porch. While we were waiting for others to arrive, I tried a couple of samples that Fred had brought along:

2006 Binner "Saveurs Printanieres" (Alsace)
This is a Edelswicker blend. Good acidity, Gewurzty nose, fairly dry, kind of short, but quite a decent wine. B

2007 Senechaliere "La Boheme" VdT
(melon de Bourgogne) Chalky/flinty, citrus fruits, light body. OK but not Pepiere. B-

Dave also had a bottle of 2007 Kris Pinot Noir (Venezie). Sharp, cough syrupy flavors, short. Others liked more than I. C+/C

On to the main event, blind bottles:
#1- low acids, red fruit with a caramelly edge. Seems old and possibly damaged to me. My guess is Dolcetto, wrong. I'm shocked it's Pinot Noir, the 2002 Borgo Magredo "Pra Dei Fiori" Pinot Nero ( Friuli). Turns out it was bought (yesterday) at a store where I've been on 90 degree days to find door open and fan blowing. No rating.

#2 - juicy, ripe, some acids, a little herb. I'm guessing South of France, but it's US. The NV Marietta Lot 43. Not complex, but I could drink this without a problem. B/B-

#3 No guess from me, it's my bottle, the 2007 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois. Blackberries, earth, surprising tannins, pretty good length. B+

#4 I call Loire Cab Franc pretty fast, but part is knowing who brought it. But this was pretty clear, several people got a bit of bell pepper over the raspberry fruit. There's a bit of barnyard here, not enough brett to really bother me, but some couldn't stand it. Room evenly split. 2006 Olivier Cousin Anjou. B+/B

#5 OK, here's the difference between my more serious groups and this one. This was one seriously corked bottle. I could not get past the wet cardboard laced with mildew. Others didn't get it. I'm not particularly sensitive, but I had no doubt on this one. Most people didn't know what corked meant (Roger said "but I got it from a good store"). Fred did, but said he'd opened hundreds of bottles without any corked ones. I'd guess he's insensitive. Dave said it had no smell (sounds like just under his threshold). Anyway, a few people liked the 2006 Bonterra Cabernet Sauvignon. NR

#6 (and 6.5) Marc brought 2 half bottles. Turns out they were $6 each, so did qualify. Black plums, a little leather, quite ripe. Easy to guess Bordeaux, Fred said Cab dominant, I said Merlot (I think label said 40%M, 30% CS, 20%CF, 10%Malbec). 2003 Duplessy (1er Cotes de Bordeaux) B/B-

#7 Very ripe, somewhat tannic. There's some VA on the nose, this has that "dry port" edge. I think the grapes have passed ripe and edged into overripe. I think maybe a ripsasso wine. Nope, it's the 2005 Feudi di San Gregorio "Rubrato" Aglianico. C+/B-

#8 Ripe red fruit, lighter body, some herb and smoke. Quickly go Rhone. 2007 Perrin Cotes du Rhone (I think Alex said Villages, but can't swear to it). B

Fun night with the guys, even if no wine shone and some wines were not so tasty.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Under $15 wines

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:00 pm

It's always good to have wine with friends, even if the bottles don't shine. Had a similar experience last week. I had a lot of fun, even if the wines were mostly not my style.
Decisions are made by those who show up