The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Powers Cab. Reserve

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2005 Powers Cab. Reserve

by Jim Grow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:46 pm

This cab. from Wash state and Champoux Vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills was quite nice with med. deep cassis flavors and nose with a dark pruple color. I let it breath in a decanter for an hour which probably helped but the wine was NOT tannic and very approachable. ABV was %14.5 I'll let my other bottle rest for a few years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Powers Cab. Reserve

by Jenise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:25 am

Powers' goal is to make very approachable wines, they're typically good value if not standouts. Haven't had any of their reserve bottlings--was in fact unaware that they made a reserve. Can't resist (proudly) pointing out though to anyone who may not know, that in Washington state the word 'Reserve' has legal connotations. You can't just call any wine Reserve like Kendall Jackson does--if you produce a reserve, it can be no more than something like 15% of your total production.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov