The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Latour, Riojas, Beringer, Lindemans, Fox, Barbaresco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Latour, Riojas, Beringer, Lindemans, Fox, Barbaresco

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:25 am

Notes from a blind tasting dinner.

2004 Alvear Fino en Rama PX Sherry (Montilla) – vintage dating sherry is unusual, but so is making a Fino out of Pedro Jimenez, normally used in the very sweetest Sherries. Light in colour and light and well defined in tast with a definite saltiness and a lengthy finish that work well with the usual tapas – olives, sausages, nuts.

2007 Albert Mann Riesling Cuvee Albert – an early drinking wine that showed the usual Riesling petrol hints in the nose, but soft with a little remaining RS and a tad hollow in the middle, probably from lack of acidity, at first, although with time in the glass it seemed to attain a better balance, which makes no sense, but there you are.

1997 Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet – slightly minty in the nose, balanced and fairly rich with sweet fruit on palate. Nice and ready.

1967 Ch. Latour – this one had us really working as it seemed like a 1985 in many ways – colour, balance, tannin. We could hardly believe it when told it was from the 60s and thought that it must be a big year, 1961, 1966, maybe right bank 1964, but no one came up with 1967. When told that, we quickly narrowd down on about the oly wine of that vintage that it could possibly be. The other first growths were mentally ruled out – most having long ago lost fruit (I have never tasted 67 Petrus, which I believe is quite decent, mind you). I got decent fruit (probably, in retrospect, insufficient to have supported my initial guess of 1985), some walnut notes and cedar in the nose, good but not excessive acidity and no tannins left at all. Elegant, over the hill, but a magnificent carcass!

1996 Faustino I Rioja Gran Riserva – yes, the one with the frosted bottle. It had a slightly funky nose that had me thinking Rhone at first and lots of wood (a definite Rioja hint). Smooth, though and fairly pleasant.

1996 Produtorri del Barbaresco Ovello – nice typical nose with a hint of rubber added, integrated and fairly together now, but still carrying reasonable tannin, so should last a long time. I haven’t got into my 96s yet so it was nice to get a peek.

1999 Fox Creek JSM – a blend of shiraz, cab and cab franc, this vintage is not nearly as long lived as the marvellous 1998 nor the also excellent 1997 (both of which I have stashed in some volume, as I like them mature) but it was showing well with a nice sweet nose, tolerable levels of oak, nice nuttiness in the nose, and the obligatory mint, smooth and with soft tannin. Drinking well now and no particular rush.

1993 Lindemans Pyrus – I stuck my wine in when I saw another Aussie example. It had a warm cab nose (the use a Bordeaux blend of cab, CF, merlot and Malbec in this). It was very extracted with red currant notes, and again, the hint f mint, smooth and well developed , the only shortcoming being that the nose was a bit reticent.

2000 Ch. de Pibarnon Bandol – a good one to stump us. This Mourvedre based wine had a hint of pine in the nose, unusual but pleasant. The wine was another extracted example with a hint of anise coming out. It finishes quite dry.

1997 Finca Valpiedra Rioja Reserva – slightly hot nose with some band aid, little tannin at this point, and a straight ahead rather one dimensional wine that ends sweet but chops off short. Disappointing (particularly as I have 3 in my cellar!)

1985 Rocha Port – I came across this while rambling about in my cellar hunting for a Port to finish things off with. Last bottle, and I thought it time to drink up. If you judge this wine as a typical vintage Port, you would be disappointed and very critical, but when tasted blind, not knowing what it supposedly should be, the wine fares far better. It showed garnet colour, quite a lot of heat in the nose and a lengthy finish where the flavours holed well. It is really like a rather feisty tawny without the elegance, if that makes sense, and with cheese it was very nice.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Latour, Riojas, Beringer, Lindemans, Fox, Barbaresco

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:33 am

I've also had the '67 Latour, and it is definitely a good one. Sure it would have been better 10 years ago, but it's still amazing that it can still hold so much interest.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:14 pm

I enjoyed the '94 Faustino I very much - very, very mature at the time, but really a lovely wine.

Do I take from your comment about the 'frosted' bottle that the label is not well-regarded?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:I enjoyed the '94 Faustino I very much - very, very mature at the time, but really a lovely wine.

Do I take from your comment about the 'frosted' bottle that the label is not well-regarded?

I have often enjoyed the wines (usually early maturing) but the gimmick of the frosted bottles does earn it a raised eyebrow here and there. No worse than the tapered cab bottles that won't stack or the Californian bottles with the flat rim that defies use of a normal corkscrew (did Mondavi start those?).
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:39 pm

The 96 Barolo & Barbaresco wines may make us wait a long time for them! Wait we will though 8)
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster