The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner w/daffodils (Etna,Languedoc,Alsace,Barsac, Burg)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Dinner w/daffodils (Etna,Languedoc,Alsace,Barsac, Burg)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Our friend Joe has been dating Donna for a while now, and mentioning they would like to have us up to dinner at her place in CT. Finally we settled on Saturday, and Betsy and I drove to Wilton. I hadn't understood Joe's invite title (Dinner with Daffodils) until we pulled into the driveway of the incredible 18th century house and spied the pasture filled with thousands of beautiful daffodils.

Joe was cooking madly, stirring the polenta for later. The other couple arrived (a bass player colleague of Betsy and Joe , plus her cellist husband), and we headed out (gorgeous June day in April!) for some Adirondack chairs with platter of charcuterie and some great tapenade and bread. First wine up was the 1996 Klein "aux Vieux Remparts" Riesling Burgreben. Light petrol notes,dry, a bit austere, yellow fruits. Pleasant enough, but without the minerality or length of a great dry Riesling. B-

A tour of the house (part dated back to 1714, majority late 1700s) and we settled on the porch with the 2007 Domaine de la Rochette Sauvignon (Touraine). Good balance of crispness and fruit, clear SB characteristics, some gooseberry and grass. Nice clean wine. B

We moved to dining room for dinner, first sitdown course was a lovely sea bass with ramps. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the ramps were divine. Wine was my offering, the 2000 Carillon "Les Combettes" Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru. Whew, no oxidation. Pears and lemon, a bit lower in acidity than my preference, but good length and lots of soil/stone notes. B+, could have moved into A territory with a little more crispness.

With a lovely endive salad, we tried my backup bottle (why carry it home), the 2006 Biondi "Outis" Etna Bianco. Floral nose with a hint of fennel seed, clean fresh lemony fruit, good acidity. Some mineral notes, light herbs. Pretty fun little wine. B+/B

Main course was an incredible lamb navarin, from a Thomas Keller recipe, served with the creamy polenta. Wine was a magnum of the 1994 Prieure Saint-Jean de Bebian (Coteaux du Languedoc). This would make a great ringer in a lineup of Chateauneuf, it reminded me of Beaucastel in a less explosive vintage. Red and dark fruits, lots of leather, good dose of herbs and garrigue. Mostly resolved tannins, good fruit, not too Grenache-jammy. B++

Dinner was followed by a cheese course - an Ossau-Iraty was my fave, but I liked all of the cheeses (there was a tomme de Savoie, a Roquefort-ish blue, a chevre, and a washed rind cheese whose name I missed). Then the dessert eaters enjoyed Donna's offerings- a flan/custard with prunes and raisins soaked in Armagnac, a apple tart, and some cookies. Finishing wine was the 2001 Doisy Vedrines from a half bottle. Infanticide, maybe, but actually showing beautifully. Full bodied but with a sprightly/nervy acid backbone, tropical fruit and apricots, good length. 2001 Sauternes/Barsacs are amazing. A-

Really an extraordinary meal, with great company in a great setting. I was grateful that Betsy was doing the driving!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Dinner w/daffodils (Etna,Languedoc,Alsace,Barsac, Burg)

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Sounds fun! The wines must have had a lot of bass notes...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

by David Z » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Dale Williams wrote: Finishing wine was the 2001 Doisy Vedrines from a half bottle. Infanticide, maybe, but actually showing beautifully. Full bodied but with a sprightly/nervy acid backbone, tropical fruit and apricots, good length. 2001 Sauternes/Barsacs are amazing. A-

Oooh. I've had a few of the '01 Doisy-Vedrines: one of my local crappy wine stores got a whole bunch of these and never moved them from their original $20 offer price over 2 years. It is so, so, SO good. I've never had Climens or Yquem so I don't have a full frame of reference but that is plenty good enough for me.
no avatar
User

Michel Beauchamp

Rank

Just got here

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:20 pm

by Michel Beauchamp » Fri May 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Wine was a magnum of the 1994 Prieure Saint-Jean de Bebian (Coteaux du Languedoc). This would make a great ringer in a lineup of Chateauneuf, it reminded me of Beaucastel in a less explosive vintage. Red and dark fruits, lots of leather, good dose of herbs and garrigue. Mostly resolved tannins, good fruit, not too Grenache-jammy. B++

Still have 2 bottles of the 1994, 3 of the 1995 and 2 of the 1996. So I guess there's still hope? :mrgreen:

PS: Have to confess I opened my last bottle (of 6) of the 1994 Chapelle de Bébian just three months ago. And I still wonder why my wine friends call me the "Necrophiliac"... :lol:
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Great notes, but this is the second thread I've read today with great cheeses and I've got nothing in the house. I may need to take a road trip this weekend.

Dale, are you still buying white burgs? I was at an off-line last weekend and a few of us (somewhat sheepishly) admitted to buying again as our cellars deplete. I don't feel too confident, but I miss the good ones. The '98 PM 1er--I forget the producer--starter was not poxed. It was, however, corked.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Michel, this was a mag, but I can't imagine a well stored 750 would be tired

Dan, mostly now I buy lesser wines and intend to drink them early. I buy Pernot and Matrot Bourgognes, occasional village wines from Niellon, Sauzet, etc, cheap 1ers like Clair's St Aubin MdDentsdChiens. I've splurged on a couple things (when Posner had a Leflaive blowout), but mostly under $30 and drink now.