The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: constabulary notes from all over

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: constabulary notes from all over

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:25 am

2007 Vila Francioni Chardonnay Santa Catarina (Brazil)
Some consider this Brazil’s best chardonnay. White flower and mineral aromas overwhelmed by excessive oak. A bit too sweet from insufficient acidity. Good body, discreet bitter finish. A stab at Meursault, but on steroids.

2006 Viña Aquitania Sol de Sol Chardonnay Malleco Valley
Some consider this Chile’s Best chardonnay. Less oaky but still too much. Exotic spice nose with mineral accents. Good acid/sweet balance, quite pleasant.

2006 Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir Marlborough
Attractive raspberry and floral nose. Light, spicy (cloves), smooth, quite nice, though a little too spicy.

2006 Cono Sur 20 Barrels Pinot Noir Casablanca Valley
Subdued nose of ripe fruit. Light to medium bodied, with some dried meats, generic red fruit and sous bois. Pleasant but too new world.

2007 Saint Clair Pioneer Block No. 5 Wood Block Pinot Noir
Lovely pinot nose with red fruit, sous bois and the slightest edge of dishrag providing a welcome note of authenticity. Good weight and balance, the most Burgundian among this group of new world pinots, easily my favorite.

2007 Bodegas Chacra Pinot Noir Barda Rio Negro (Patagonia)
A biodynamic estate. Pleasant and elegant red fruit and spice nose but sweet edge from over ripe fruit. A bit too spicy. Needs more acidity, surprising given the latitude.

2004 Viña Quebrada de Macul Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley Domus Aurea
Very ripe plum and red berry nose slathered in oak. Puckering tannins, powerful fruit, but way too hot and international for my taste. Pass.

2003 Seña Aconcagua Valley
A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenère and Cabernet Franc. Nose shows molasses, red berries, sous bois and oak. Silky mouth feel, classy fruit, good acid/sweet balance, but still too ripe for my taste. Much finer than the preceding.

2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin
No nose, must be closed for the weekend. Mouth feel is silky and smooth, red fruit is simple but lovely. Needs more time to develop.

2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Savigny-les-Beaune
Again no nose. Similar to the Fixin, except with more structure, promising more for sometime down the road.

2003 Chateau La Grave Fronsac 13.5%
A blend of 85% merlot and 15% cabernet franc from a biodynamic Bordeaux estate, something less than common (see http://www.wineterroirs.com/2008/06/la_grave.html). Served at the recommended 16C, no nose to speak of. Mouth shows pleasant merlot chocolate/espresso with somewhat generic red fruit. Some tannins, good acidity, despite the vintage. As it gradually edges towards 21C, it becomes more generous on the nose, with tannins becoming dusky and lots of chocolate with some mint (think After Eight). I think I don’t "get" this, though I enjoyed the 2003 d’Aiguilhe, with a similar blend.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs: constabulary notes from all over

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 am

I confess the title puzzles me. Were you drinking with cops? :)
Sena is a nice wine, but pretty pricey here for what it is IMHO
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am

You had better luck with Domus Aurea than I did. My 2000 bottle may be the strangest "non-flawed?" wine I have ever tried-overwhelming eucalyptus with harsh metallic flavors and tons of oak. :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 am

Dale Williams wrote:I confess the title puzzles me. Were you drinking with cops? :)
Sena is a nice wine, but pretty pricey here for what it is IMHO

It's obscure to anyone who didn't read The New Yorker from cover to cover during a certain period. There used to sometimes be a section under that name with a clip from some local paper in which the writer made some grammar mistake that led to a funny or absurd double meaning. I loved the title, and though there was nothing constabulary about my company, the wine notes were definitely from all over...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 am

Brian K Miller wrote:You had better luck with Domus Aurea than I did. My 2000 bottle may be the strangest "non-flawed?" wine I have ever tried-overwhelming eucalyptus with harsh metallic flavors and tons of oak. :?

Maybe they were shooting to win a medal in some competition, or get high points from critics! :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm

A little too spicy...a pinot? Sir, this is not possible!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Jenise wrote:A little too spicy...a pinot? Sir, this is not possible!

Blame the new world. Forgive them, for they know not what they do...