The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dalwhinnie and Neil Ellis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Dalwhinnie and Neil Ellis

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:12 pm

2004 Neil Ellis Cabernet Sauvignon, South Africa
Popped and poured. Dark wine with blackcurrant, blackberry and plum fruit on the nose and palate. Very open and drinkable; fruit is sweet and plenty ripe, so it seems incongruous (though not atypical of South African wines) when a green bell pepper streak not unlike what I associate with underripeness develops. Otherwise, soft tannins with trademark South African acidity are present; could cellar another five years, perhaps longer. Good but not great at $22.

2001 Dalwhinnie Shiraz, Pyrenees (Moonambel region), Victoria, Australia
Very un-Australian restrained red fruit on the nose and palate. Fills out just a bit with time in the glass and adds some green olive notes and other Croze Hermitage-ish complexities; it could pass for a cooler-year Rhone in fact but for the dilly quality I presume is coming from American oak. As such its probably welcome in neither place, but on my table it was quite good with grilled burgers and a bargain at the $15 that I paid for it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Dalwhinnie and Neil Ellis

by Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Jenise
A good choice with the Dalwhinnie - but a no-brainer at that price (did you give them their wallet back after mugging them? :wink: :lol: ). Arguably more mainstream in Aussie circles, but compared to the Aussie fruit bomb fad in the US, yes definitely untypical.
I suspect you're right on the dill (oak influence)
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Dalwhinnie at $15 - how and where? :shock:

Those wines are AWESOME - really gorgeous cool climate Aussies (their Cab is also fantastic), but I've never seen them even close to that price. (Yes, I'm very jealous...)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Dalwhinnie at $15 - how and where? :shock:

Those wines are AWESOME - really gorgeous cool climate Aussies (their Cab is also fantastic), but I've never seen them even close to that price. (Yes, I'm very jealous...)

Auction, maybe six-nine months ago. I've actually visited the winery and was therefore familiar with the wines, but I presume most Americans (except you) know nothing/little about them. After all, it's not located in the Barossa or McClaren Vale, so it couldn't be good. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Jenise
A good choice with the Dalwhinnie - but a no-brainer at that price (did you give them their wallet back after mugging them? :wink: :lol: ). Arguably more mainstream in Aussie circles, but compared to the Aussie fruit bomb fad in the US, yes definitely untypical.
regards
Ian

I thought this was pretty restrained even to the Australian palate, Ian. That said, what I'm really judging this by is a year 2000 winery visit and the two bottles of '98 I brought back. Riper than usual, I guess, though I don't think the pendulum swings that far over there from vintage to vintage.

But heck yes on the price, eh? As I told Salil, I'm sure this went begging because your average American buyer thinks the sun rises and sets by the Barossa and McClaren Vale gobsters.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Jenise
regards
Ian

Ian

You are correct, it is more mainstream. The sad truth is that most of the "fruit bombs" that are produced for the offshore, and the US in particular, never see the light of day in Australia (thankfully). I used to grab the annual Winespectator review of Australian wines but stopped a few years ago when I realised that a vast majority of the wine I have simply never seen here on the shelves. Regretably this approach to marketing is now backfiring on the industry in general as they struggle to drop the fruitbomb perception.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm

I have a bottle of the 2003 Neil Ellis Cab in the cellar. Guess I will open it whenever with moderate expectations.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm

David, you'll probably enjoy it well enough. I liked it, it just wasn't the amazing value I hoped it would be. And if that green streak had been any meaner I'd have had to seriously mark it down for that and most people (particularly anyone who hates green bell pepper) would object to it more than I did.