The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Paschal pleasures

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Paschal pleasures

by Mark S » Fri May 01, 2009 3:26 pm

A feast! A feast i say!

Emrich-Schönleber, Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen, riesling-S, 2006
Pale watery light gold color, with some greenish cast. A restrained nose of hops, linden, and green herbs. Light lemon-ginger-quince notes and a (very) small touch of the effervescence. Taut for the vintage. Some lemon-apple mint on the finish. 9.5% Quite good. A-/B+

Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou, Saint Julien, 1999
Beautiful aromatics here and nuanced drinking. Clearly not a powerhouse year, but this suavely made wine has years to go and is drinking extremely well now. A-

Domaine Tempier, Bandol, 'la Migoua', 1999
Initially, a stinkpot of brett nose that takes awhile to lift off, but later, with vigorous airing, becomes more floral and includes aged steak-meat aromas.Cherry bark tannins, licorice root, and aged mouldy cheese rind. There's a healthy blend of earth and fruits, and warm baked fruit compote, finished by very chewy tannins. Not quite as good as I had hoped this would be, but I won't say I was disappointed either. B+

Chateau Nairac, Barsac, 2001
My second bottle of this. Acting more mature than the first one, which was all about potential, this one seems fully mature and possibly waning. Color is much darker: already a medium-walnut gold. Burnt sugar, toffee aromas, which echo on the palate along with burnt caramelized orange and old coffee sitting around that has milk mixed in it. Should hold, but I'm tempted to put the rest of these in the drink que. A-
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Paschal pleasures

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 pm

I am always interested in Tempier notes from others. My file updated, thanks!