The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

May is Riesling Month in the Finger Lakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

May is Riesling Month in the Finger Lakes

by Ed Draves » Sat May 02, 2009 5:41 am

Great time to explore the world class Rieslings of NY's Finger Lake regions. Many wineries are offering special tastings and events as well as (in some cases) free shipping.
http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/A-Riesling-To-Visit.aspx
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: May is Riesling Month in the Finger Lakes

by Carl Eppig » Sat May 02, 2009 10:23 am

Wouldn't you guess we are not getting up that way until early June. :cry:
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat May 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Website looks interesting., thanks for the headsup.we too will probably not get there until June
Jon
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Sat May 02, 2009 1:20 pm

no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Sat May 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Coupla questions for ya, Ed

Have you tasted the red Newt Circle reisling yet? If yes, your impressions?
Is it available at retail? or just at the winery?

price?
Jon
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm

I have not tasted it yet but look forward to it. I believe it will be available retail (huge production) and Dave was trying to hit the $10-11 price point.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat May 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Coupla questions for ya, Ed

Have you tasted the red Newt Circle reisling yet? If yes, your impressions?
Is it available at retail? or just at the winery?

price?

Jon,

Make your way over to Lenndevours blog: http://lennthompson.typepad.com/lenndevours/. Red Newt's new Riesling concept is discussed there. I haven't tasted it either. But I understand that the wine is intended to and will have noticeable RS.

I applaud Red Newt's new direction, which is to remove a few varietal wines from the list, pare down and focus on what they do best. Whenever asked, I advise wineries either to develop the Red Newt attitude or create second and third labels.
Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 02, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Sat May 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Thomas ..good to hear from ya..how are you?

thanks for the headsup..and the info
another interesting website, learn something new every day
Jon
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat May 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Thomas ..good to hear from ya..how are you?

thanks for the headsup..and the info
another interesting website, learn something new every day

Yep, learning is good.

Say hello to Dana Decker for me. One day I have to pop in on him.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 03, 2009 10:04 am

Thomas..You have been promising to drop in on Dana for years now..Whattya say the next time you are in our area, ya give me a buzz and you and I will get together..ok?
Jon
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun May 03, 2009 10:58 am

Jon Leifer wrote:Thomas..You have been promising to drop in on Dana for years now..Whattya say the next time you are in our area, ya give me a buzz and you and I will get together..ok?

Yes, I know.

The next time I will be in the area is to judge at the State Fair Wine Competition on June 6. I get in Friday, June 5. That evening is possible for a get together, and maybe you can corral Dana for me.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Will give Dana a buzz and get back to you
Jon
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Mon May 04, 2009 12:17 am

Jon Leifer wrote:Have you tasted the red Newt Circle reisling yet? If yes, your impressions?

I'm not Ed, but I stopped by Red Newt for lunch today (had gnocchi with a tasty roasted garlic cream sauce with pine nuts, kale, and sausage). Afterwards I tasted the Circle Riesling. I was told it's 3.2% rs, but the wine has a lot of acidity and the overall effect is of less sweetness than some other Finger Lakes Rieslings labeled as dry. The nose has herbal and citrus rind notes on the nose and lemon/lemon rind flavors on the palate. The overall effect is nice, and it's reasonably priced at $12 or so. I thought it a very good, balanced, everyday wine.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks Steve..sounds like a wine i will be looking for..The gnocchi sounds good too..very pretty dining room at Red Newt
Jon
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Mon May 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Steve, did you get to try the single vineyard Gewurtz?
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon May 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Steve Guattery wrote:
Jon Leifer wrote:Have you tasted the red Newt Circle reisling yet? If yes, your impressions?

I'm not Ed, but I stopped by Red Newt for lunch today (had gnocchi with a tasty roasted garlic cream sauce with pine nuts, kale, and sausage). Afterwards I tasted the Circle Riesling. I was told it's 3.2% rs, but the wine has a lot of acidity and the overall effect is of less sweetness than some other Finger Lakes Rieslings labeled as dry. The nose has herbal and citrus rind notes on the nose and lemon/lemon rind flavors on the palate. The overall effect is nice, and it's reasonably priced at $12 or so. I thought it a very good, balanced, everyday wine.

I hope he keeps the quality up for this line. Keenly priced FL riesling is a good idea - something that might compete with a dryish German QbA in value. There are producers that have kept their regular riesling prices in the $12 range: Hosmer, Lamoreaux Landing, Glenora spring to mind, so this isn't exactly paradigm breaking.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Tue May 05, 2009 12:45 am

Ed Draves wrote:Steve, did you get to try the single vineyard Gewurtz?

Nope, I didn't know about it, and I only stopped quickly on my way out to taste the Circle, which I'd heard about. There was a large group from a bus filling much of the tasting room, so I didn't linger.

I did get to try the 2008 Damiani Gewurztraminer from tank, though. I thought it very good, it's nicely scented but not overbearingly perfumed as some Gewurzes are, and it was well-balanced as well. I don't think it will change when bottled, but I don't have a lot of experience with that.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Damiani is one of my new FL favorites, Only discovered them about 2 years ago..They do a very nice job,both whites and reds..They were also very nice and accomodating when I needed some wine for Christmas gifts
Jon
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Thomas ....just got off the phone with Dana..He will do his best to get together with us that Friday night..I wd be delighted to host and pour from my cellar..Dana said he wd happy to host as well and we cd drink some goodies from his back room..Dana said it has been a looooong time since he has seen you..

Jon
Jon
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Damiani is one of my new FL favorites, Only discovered them about 2 years ago..They do a very nice job,both whites and reds..They were also very nice and accomodating when I needed some wine for Christmas gifts

I think that they've only been selling wine since the 2004 vintage; at least the earliest wine I had from them was the 2004 Cab Franc back in September 2007. I've liked their reds, and am less familiar with their whites. The reds are early drinkers and have broad appeal both to regular and to infrequent wine drinkers. When I stopped the other day, the 2006 reds struck me as ready to drink now. I particularly liked the 2006 Meritage. The 2007 reds they were pouring (Pinot Noir, Merlot, Reserve Merlot, and Meritage) all need some time [edited to add: maybe a year or so - I don't think these are long-term agers]. Consistent with the vintage, there's more tannic structure to them. They were sold out of 2007 Cab Franc and the 2007 Cab Sauvignon isn't out yet.
Last edited by Steve Guattery on Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Steve..I think Damiani's strength lies in their reds but their whites shd not be overlooked..I have liked their Sauv blanc and chards and my duaghter, who has a sweet tooth , likes their Dolce Bianco

I have their 2005 Cab Franc in the cellar, bought in 2007 on our first visit to Damiani..Wasn't looking for any reds the last time I stopped in there, was guiding my daughter Samantha through the minefields of FL whites. I preferred the Cab Franc to their Cab Sauv back in 07..didn't taste any reds in 08..will probably hit Seneca again this summer when Sam come in for a visit..will probably also stop at Lamoreaux Landing and see John Z and his wife at Silver Springs, a little south of Damiani on the east side of Seneca before heading up the west side to visit Hermann Weimer.
Jon
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Steve..I think Damiani's strength lies in their reds but their whites shd not be overlooked..I have liked their Sauv blanc and chards and my duaghter, who has a sweet tooth , likes their Dolce Bianco

Jon,

Thanks. I'll definitely keep them in mind in the future, especially after trying the Gewurz.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Steve..I think Damiani's strength lies in their reds but their whites shd not be overlooked..I have liked their Sauv blanc and chards and my duaghter, who has a sweet tooth , likes their Dolce Bianco

I have their 2005 Cab Franc in the cellar, bought in 2007 on our first visit to Damiani..Wasn't looking for any reds the last time I stopped in there, was guiding my daughter Samantha through the minefields of FL whites. I preferred the Cab Franc to their Cab Sauv back in 07..didn't taste any reds in 08..will probably hit Seneca again this summer when Sam come in for a visit..will probably also stop at Lamoreaux Landing and see John Z and his wife at Silver Springs, a little south of Damiani on the east side of Seneca before heading up the west side to visit Hermann Weimer.

John: check out the '07 T23 Cab Franc at Lamoreaux Landing. No wood, very drinkable and well priced. They usually do a nice gewurztraminer, too.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Joe..Last time I tasted LL's Cab Franc, I was underwhelmed but will try it again this Summer..Their Gewurtz is an annual buy for me
Jon
Next