The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Maryland Wine Recommendations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Maryland Wine Recommendations

by David Mc » Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am

Maryland has about 30 wineries and my goal is to visit all of them this summer. Can someone provide an overall ranking on the wineries (e.g., "these are the best", "these are the worst") as well as specific varieties in which Maryland excels. I've watched the Virginia wine industry grow over the last 15 years and I'm hopeful Maryland sees the same. [Now only if Maryland / Montgomery County would change their laws so I don't have to buy all my wine in Virginia].

Thanks,

Dave
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Maryland Wine Recommendations

by David Creighton » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 pm

kevin atticks really knows his stuff. contact him as follows:

http://www.marylandwine.com/mwa/contact/index.shtml
david creighton
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri May 08, 2009 12:56 pm

No idea how one would rank the wineries considering the differences between them. However, the one that has interest of most of the geeks that hope Maryland may someday be able to compete with Virginia is Black Ankle http://www.blackankle.com/.

As for which grapes are best suited, it is really too early to tell. Maryland viticulture is way behind Virginia. In my part of the state, the southern coastal plains, the experimentation has really just begun within the past decade. What looks like it may do the best in Sothern Maryland is Barbera and Petit Verdot. Whites are not looked on as favorably.

In case you are not aware, Maryland has a significant shortage of grapes. Most of the wineries need to import grapes from out of state. I only mention it because if you are going to try to make it to all the wineries, you need to be aware that the wine you are drinking may not actually be from Maryland grapes or at a minimum blended with grapes from out of state.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri May 08, 2009 1:25 pm

I've heard good things about Black Ankle and Sugarloaf Mountain but I've never tasted the wines so consider this a low quality input.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Fri May 08, 2009 4:54 pm

I have a brother who lives in Maryland and who brings me the local wines on occasion. He's brought some decent wines from Boordy and occasionally a drinkable wine from Basignani. But the one that really impressed me was Black Ankle's 2006 Bedlam. It's a blend of several different white grapes that varies from year to year; the version I had included Gruner Veltliner, Chardonnay, Albarino, Viognier, and Muscat. Sounds really odd, but it was very well made and we enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

by David Mc » Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Black Ankle is about 30 minutes from my house (along with 4 others) so I think I'll start there.

Dave
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue May 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Black Ankle is highly reccommended by some ITB types I know in Montgomery Co.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Kyle Whitney

Rank

Just got here

Thu May 14, 2009 1:08 pm

by Kyle Whitney » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I just heard about this event yesterday. It seems like a perfect way to explore Maryland wines:

http://www.wineinthewoods.com/
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Just this past weekend, I was involved in a blind tasting and several wines from Boordy Vineyards did very well. They have a light pinot noir and a light cab that would be great on a hot afternoon, their Riesling wasn't too bad either. I was surprised, to tell you the truth. See: http://www.boordy.com/wines.html. Black Ankle is pretty new and, although they won the 'Governor’s Cup', at $40 is a little hard to buy. Black Ankle is in Mount Airy which has 3 other wineries: Linganore, Elk Run and Loew. You can go to all four in an afternoon. I would not spend too much time at Linganore Winecellars but do take the tour and visit the tasting room - really nice. Elk Run has a nice ice wine (They do use a freezer.) See also http://www.marylandwine.com.
If you come to Mount Airy - drop me a PM.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu May 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Good to hear about Bordy. I have had the opportunity to talk with their vineyard manager and he seems to have a good handle on things but have yet to try their wine. Must correct that situation.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Elk Run has a nice ice wine (They do use a freezer.)

In the past we've enjoyed their Cab Franc and Gewurz. Can't vouch for current vintages.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:In the past we've enjoyed their Cab Franc and Gewurz.

Carl - I was volunteering to pour at a big event a year or so ago. When it was over and the volunteers were picking through the left over bottles, I mentioned MD wines. One guy stopped what he was doing and just slammed MD wines, (and VA, too, for that matter) and said they weren't worth his time to even learn about, let alone taste. I thought - "How closed minded this guy is.". Your comment says it all - thay can be enjoyable, even very good, and deserve recognition.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri May 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Jon, that guy was a moron IMHO.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?