The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Champagne, Leyda, S. Australia, Puglia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Champagne, Leyda, S. Australia, Puglia

by Saina » Fri May 08, 2009 3:41 pm

• N.V. Deutz Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (5/7/2009)
    I have enjoyed quite a few Deutzs, and though this was very drinkable, I didn't find it special or memorable. 23,70€/half bottle is not good value at all. Quite a dark pink. The scent has aromas of red berries, earth and figs - exactly what one expects of Pinot Noir. Nice, elegant mousse, good structure. It isn't bad at all; but neither is it memorable.
  • N.V. Vranken Champagne Demoiselle Tete de Cuvée EO Brut - France, Champagne (5/7/2009)
    A perfectly decent bottle of fizz: 60% Chardonnay, 30%PN, 10% PM; 19,26€/0,375. It smells of minerals and red apples. It isn't a hugely complex scent, but it is enjoyable. Lovely crispness, some red fruit suggestive of the Pinots, but the Chardonnay crispness is to the fore. Nice enough, but not special. It is, however, one of the few half-bottles available here.
  • 2007 Viña Leyda Sauvignon Blanc Garuma Vineyard - Chile, Aconcagua, Casablanca Valley, Leyda Valley (5/8/2009)
    9,84€; 13,5% abv. Green colour and deliciously green scent of peas and gooseberry, minerals, too. It seems like unadulterated Sauvignon, more of the Loire style than the NZ despite being very open and forward and lacking the elegance of the best Loires. Full body for the grape, deliciously high acidity with an attractive tart quality to the otherwise forward fruit. It isn't a profound wine but it is nice. I was surprised that I liked this, since I usually dislike the grape. Good value, too at under 10€.
  • 2007 Heartland Dolcetto/Lagrein - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, Langhorne Creek (5/8/2009)
    Langhorne Creek, Limestone Coast; 15,30€; 14,5% abv. Purple. Who knew these two grapes could make a Barossa Shiraz? ;-) This is big and burly, a bruiser with aromas of tar and mulberry with a layer of oak that smells of Christmas spices. Full bodied, sweet, oaky - I can easily see the appeal in this, though it isn't really to my tastes. My guests loved it. I also found positive that it had slight vegetal aromas once it had a few hours' air - it moved from a jammy wine to a more savoury style. Also, it wasn't so monolithically massive as some Barossas are, but rather it was quite lively on the palate. The massive alcohol wasn't evident at all. So it wasn't a wine to my taste, but it was one that I can easily understand why almost everyone else loves it!
  • 2004 Cooperativa Agricola Santa Barbara Barbaglio Salento IGT - Italy, Puglia, Salento IGT (5/7/2009)
    13,17€; 13,5%. Since tasting the 2000 this has been one of my favourite cheaper wines available in Finland. I think the 2004 might just be the most successful of them all, however! Like with all the vintages, my first sniff causes an immediate association with Musar: bright red fruit, some VA, a rather rustic style. Full body, wonderful liveliness, cherry; great structure so it is very moreish - a naughty wine! :) Lovely stuff!
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: WTN: Champagne, Leyda, S. Australia, Puglia

by David Z » Fri May 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Someone is growing f---ing Lagrein in f---ing Australia and getting an f----ing fruit bomb out of it? That's amazing, on so many levels.