The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Txakoli, it has happened to me . . .

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Txakoli, it has happened to me . . .

by Keith M » Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 pm

2008 Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina Rubentis [50% Hondarrabi Beltza and 50% Hondarrabi Zuri] (Getariako Txakolina DO, País Vasco, northern central Spain) synthetic stopper, 11% - imported to USA by De Maison Selections, Chapel Hill, North Carolina - I did my best to pour it from afar without making a huge mess (unsuccessful) as I was told the Basque folk have special oilcan decanters for a long pour of this wine to get the fizz started. The wine itself is a lot of fun. Fizzy, pink, fresh, very, very acidic, tastes like the rind of a watermelon, incredibly refreshing and wow-wow-wow food friendly. I had it with kale, potatoes and hard-boiled egg as I shucked some fava beans—but this wine clearly goes with about everything. The most food friendly wine – though $22 is hefty for a rosado, I'd say that all's fair here. This wine was killer.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: WTN: Txakoli, it has happened to me . . .

by Frank Deis » Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 pm

I've had Ameztoi Txakoli but never the pink stuff. Brisk and happy wine.

It was recommended as a match for "real" Paella but IMO the dish is way more serious than this wine.

Still I like drinking it. What it needs is a deck, some sunshine, a flower garden, and "Scoops" with salsa...