The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

That Old Black Magic has me wondering..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

That Old Black Magic has me wondering..

by JuliaB » Fri May 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I just arrived home with my mixed case of ESJ wines (one of the few benefits of living in Ohio..they are available here). I have 6 Bone-Jolly 08..I know what to do with those: drink now, drink often. But the other half case is "That Old Black Magic". What is the prevailing wisdom..drink now? Let it continue to develop it's mystical magic for ..?

Thanks in advance,
JuliaB
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: That Old Black Magic has me wondering..

by ChefJCarey » Fri May 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Send me half the case and I'll conduct a study for you.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri May 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Damn Chef, you beat me to it! We are so selfless in the pursuit of scientific research! :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 09, 2009 9:45 am

JuliaB wrote:I just arrived home with my mixed case of ESJ wines (one of the few benefits of living in Ohio..they are available here). I have 6 Bone-Jolly 08..I know what to do with those: drink now, drink often. But the other half case is "That Old Black Magic". What is the prevailing wisdom..drink now? Let it continue to develop it's mystical magic for ..?

We opened That Old Black Magic (06) last night, JB, and it's certainly drinking beautifully. Lots of structure, and there are some tannins there, but it's food-friendly. The Stelvin and all that Wylie and Fenaughty fruit make me think it'll last and last, but I'm wondering what the story is, and whether Steve's bottling it under a proprietary title like that means it's meant to guzzle while we wait for the regular Wylie-Fenaughty to come around. Hope Steve will jump in and inform us.

The 08 Bone-Jolly Rosé is mighty fine, but you already knew this.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Send me half the case and I'll conduct a study for you.

James Roscoe wrote:Damn Chef, you beat me to it! We are so selfless in the pursuit of scientific research! :roll:

You two are nothing if not chivalrous!
(Well, you're something else..but we won't go into that here).

8)
JB
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 am

Robin Garr wrote:We opened That Old Black Magic (06) last night, JB, and it's certainly drinking beautifully. Lots of structure, and there are some tannins there, but it's food-friendly. The Stelvin and all that Wylie and Fenaughty fruit make me think it'll last and last, but I'm wondering what the story is, and whether Steve's bottling it under a proprietary title like that means it's meant to guzzle while we wait for the regular Wylie-Fenaughty to come around. Hope Steve will jump in and inform us.

The 08 Bone-Jolly Rosé is mighty fine, but you already knew this.

Ah, thanks Robin, sounds like another notch on my love-belt for ESJ. May I ask what food you paired it with? I planned to open the trial bottle this weekend.

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 09, 2009 11:03 am

JuliaB wrote:Ah, thanks Robin, sounds like another notch on my love-belt for ESJ. May I ask what food you paired it with? I planned to open the trial bottle this weekend.

JB, we finished it over two nights, just leaving the re-capped half-bottle on the counter overnight with no real change in character that I could discern in the first 24 hours.

As you'd expect of Steve, it's not a spoofulated blockbuster, but at 14.3% alcohol it's a hefty boy, and needs robust foods with plenty of flavors.

First night: Natural local grass-fed beef from Dreamcatcher Farm turned into a sort of Barbacoa with ground New Mexico chiles, cumin, onions and cilantro, served over baked potatoes rather than tortillas. Hey, you go with what you got.

Second night: natural, pasture-raised pork chop pan-seared with onions, then braised with Asian flavors; served with rice and fresh spinach from the garden.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat May 09, 2009 12:55 pm

That Old Black Magic also includes Grenache from Fenaughty Vineyard, and Grenache and Syrah from Eaglepoint Ranch. I co-fermented Grenache and Syrah from Fenaughty, Grenache and Syrah from Eaglepoint, And Syrah and Syrah from Wylie and Fenaughty. Not originally intending to blend, but in the Summer of '07 I did a trial blend using all the three lots, and the result seemed more dynamic and compelling than any of the separate lots, and certainly seemed to be greater than the sum of the parts. Magic! The wine seems to me to be very tightly wound, yet not at all rough. There's a full page of details on the ESJ website.
Julia, I think you'll really enjoy the '08 pink. And I think you'll find the '07 red steamy and x-rated! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sat May 09, 2009 1:39 pm

and its aging potential?
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Just guessing, I'd say six to ten years. Three or four ought to be sufficient for it to loosen up nicely.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Do a search & you'll find a note I put up a few weeks ago. It's great stuff that was better on night two.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:JB, we finished it over two nights, just leaving the re-capped half-bottle on the counter overnight with no real change in character that I could discern in the first 24 hours.

As you'd expect of Steve, it's not a spoofulated blockbuster, but at 14.3% alcohol it's a hefty boy, and needs robust foods with plenty of flavors.

First night: Natural local grass-fed beef from Dreamcatcher Farm turned into a sort of Barbacoa with ground New Mexico chiles, cumin, onions and cilantro, served over baked potatoes rather than tortillas. Hey, you go with what you got.

Second night: natural, pasture-raised pork chop pan-seared with onions, then braised with Asian flavors; served with rice and fresh spinach from the garden.

Those dishes sound mighty tasty to me. I was thinking of just a nice rare steak right off the grill, topped with some fresh sauteed morels my husband picked recently. Makes me hungry just to think of it. 8)
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun May 10, 2009 9:48 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:
Julia, I think you'll really enjoy the '08 pink. And I think you'll find the '07 red steamy and x-rated! :D

Mmm just the way I like 'em! :wink:

Thanks, Steve!
JB
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun May 10, 2009 9:59 am

David, thanks, I did read your post before I posted this, and I read Steve's website about it..both siren songs to me! My query, as Bob Hower put more succinctly, was about the aging potential.

"Steve Edmunds"]Just guessing, I'd say six to ten years. Three or four ought to be sufficient for it to loosen up nicely

Now, my conundrum..if it is drinking so well now, but will hold for possibly 10 years, have I purchased enough? :?

JB