The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasty Napa cab. and cheap

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Tasty Napa cab. and cheap

by Jim Grow » Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm

This 2006 Canard Napa Cabernet, for $8.00 was worth every penny. Deep purple in color, the nose was full of sweet cherry and the flavors followed with a bit of black currant and plenty of smooth tannins to balance. I'll buy more when next up in Ft. Wayne. This could easily be my house red for the future. Probably not an ager but who knows.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Tasty Napa cab. and cheap

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Never heard of Canard. Any more info on the producer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 pm

I think you got some kind of steal of a deal. Quick googling finds the wine at $18, not $8. :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 pm

"Canard"

Given the price & appellation, I love the name; even if there happens to be a picture of a duck on the label!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Marco Raimondi wrote:"Canard"

Given the price & appellation, I love the name; even if there happens to be a picture of a duck on the label!

Spose it could be a new wine from the Duckhorn stable?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

According to the back label, the Canard Winery is located in the NW corner of Napa Valley on the Silverado Trail. The owners are Rich and Carolyn Czapleski and their wine maker is Brian Graham. They grow Cabernet Sauvignon and 120 year old Zinfandel with a bit of Merlot and Cab. Franc. Their stated combined goal is to produce a Napa valley estate Cabernet for under $30 that rivals their neighbors. I just checked my reciepts and it did cost $19 from the Wine Exchange. How it got a price sticker of $7.99 on it is a mystery but there are plenty of price stickers on the floor of my cellar so that is probably how it happened. Sooo disappointing!!!