The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 Van Duzer Estate Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

2005 Van Duzer Estate Pinot Noir

by Patti L » Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 pm

2005 Van Duzer Estate Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Oregon

Deep dark red in the glass. A lovely aroma of ripe red and black fruits with a hint of cocoa and leather. A lush wine, soft and smooth. It’s opened nicely over the 2 hours I’ve been drinking it, revealing floral and spicy notes. I like to find a wine I can drink without food, and this is definitely one of those wines. Although I suspect it would be a nice accompaniment to pork or lamb. Or chicken. Or fish. Or…well, you get the picture.

This wine cost me $29.99 at Woodman’s in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. I’m glad I bought them out. Now I have plenty!
Patti
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2005 Van Duzer Estate Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 am

The black fruit you mention is one of the puzzling things about Van Duzer's pinots. They love their extraction there and, at least with the 05 vintage I tasted, it was much more prominent on the single vineyard wines which were bold and shiraz-y. This wine was the only wine in their lineup that had balance and nuance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Tue May 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Patti, your TN inspired me to pull out a bottle of 2002 Van Duzer estate PN. Black cherries are most evident with a hint of persimmon, though the finish is just moderate. Last time I tasted this I was put off by the oak, but it’s fully integrated now and the wine is drinking very well. How’s the ’05 for oak? And I get what you mean about drinking it without necessarily having food—it goes along with that great, libation inducing label!
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 am

I didn't find it over oaky at all. I thought it was nicely integrated. But I do think I'll put some aside and try them over a period of time.
Patti