The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fourcas Dupré 2005; Amirault La Mine 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Fourcas Dupré 2005; Amirault La Mine 2006

by Saina » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I got to try two recent releases in our Monopoly tonight. I found both very enjoyable and I think I might buy a bit of both for mid-term drinking!

Château Fourcas Dupré 2005 - Listrac-Médoc
13% abv; 24,10€; c. half and half Cab Sauv and Merlot with a dash of Cab Franc and Petit Verdot; Cru Bourgeois Superieur. This was a lighter bodied style, though it did show some of the flesh I have come to expect from the year. It has an attractively open and forward scent of dark fruit, wet clay and a pleasant Cabernet lift. The occasional sniff seems to have a tiny hint of dung, too (which I love in these small amounts!). About a third of the wine sees new oak, and, indeed, the oak could use more time to calm down. The palate has good, ripe but refreshing tannins, low acidity - sadly - but it is still refreshing and, within its context with other '05s, a lighter style (which I am quite happy about). The ripe, juicy fruit coupled to the lighter body almost brought Loire Cabernet Franc to my mind except the flavour profile, of course, is a bit different. Curiously attractive already in a very primary way; I'm not certain this will go for decades but should improve in the medium term.

Yannick Amirault Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil La Mine 2006 - Touraine, Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil
13%; 24,60€ in the special order selection. It starts out very primary with a bit of sucrosity to the lovely Cab Franc perfume. With an hour or so of air, the savoury, leafy, tobacco aspects gladly overwhelm the sweetness and the result is fantastically drinkable and enjoyable. It is sweetly fruity, but has a lovely, juicy lightness about it that makes it extremely refreshing and moreish. Nice stuff!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.