The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Bubbles:

2005 Marques de Monistrol, Cava Winemaker’s Select:
Even better than their non-vintage brut, this is quite dry, spicy, focused and elegant with a continuous bead and a clean finish. ‘Hard to beat at $15.

Whites:

2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:
Beautiful wine; bright, charming, flavorful and so clean; as balanced and precise a Muscadet as one can find and drinking well now.

2008 Bedrock, Cuvée Caritas:
55% old vine semillon and 45% sauvignon blanc in 100% new French oak; powerfully scented with white fruit, spice and vanilla tones; an almost lyrical presentation in the mouth with semillon flavors emphasized and a touch of butterscotch oak; long finish. Needs 3-5 years to integrate the wood (although its not intrusive now) and was delicious with chicken Caesar salad.
Day two: much the same; this either has too much oak or it needs time to integrate.

2007 Quinto de Ventozelo, Douro Cisterda da Ribeira:
A Portuguese white made from 30% códega, 30% gouveio, 20% viosinho and 20% rabigato; 13% alcohol; aromas of cream soda, citrus skin and white pepper; similar in the mouth with some unripe apricot and a light saline component added, spicy, smoothly textured but crackling acidity; a touch bitter on a very long finish. This wine is all about its acidity – it carries it and drives it but does not overwhelm it. Very good with a white bean and chard dish, pretty good on its own and well worth buying again at $7.

Pinks:

2008 Bedrock, Rosé Ode to Lulu:
Mourvèdre based wine with a lovely fragrance, a dry, mineral driven palate, and a dry finish. In the Bandol style and quite nice with summer grilled veggies.

Reds:

2002 Clos Roche Blanche, Gamay:
I’ve had a few bad bottles of this but this one is quintessential gamay – charming, complete, moderate weight and good sustain. A really lovely bottle – after all these years.

2005 Georges Vigouroux, Cahors Pigmentum:
Malbec that is blurry, earthy/dirty, unfocused and just not very good. If there’s nothing else . . . 12.5% and about $10.

2007 Lurton, Malbec:
Industrial grade – not objectionable but no better than something to drink if you’ve nothing else. About $9.

2008 Maipe, Malbec:
So much better that the last two malbecs that one might think it was a different grape; this shows the darker side of the variety but with balance and some finesse; drinking well now and very good with a bean, chard, turkey and quinoa stew. 14% alcohol and about $12.
(Aside: it seems the feminine, aromatic, elegant side of this variety is rare. And honestly, going up in price usually just gets me more wood or more power, neither of which I find attractive. The potential of this grape is considerable in that I have tasted occasional wines that reminded me of great pinot – light, pure, scented and such beautiful textures – ah, where are they when you need them?)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Recent tastes

by James Roscoe » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Jim,
Would you say the Lurton is okay at under $10 for a weeknight quaff? It sounds like the Maipe may be a steal at $12. Have you seen these around? Great post as usual. :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Jim,

Was Clos Roche Blanche under plastic cork back in 2002? If so I am shocked that it's even drinkable, though I suppose miracles can and do happen.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri May 15, 2009 6:24 am

Your observation about what happens to malbec when price rises jives with my experience too. I prefer most regulars to their corresponding reservas.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri May 15, 2009 7:47 am

Jim, bought a box of the 2008 Maipe, Malbec on your recommendation at $10 per bottle which included shipping. My wife and I find it to be as you described being a lovely Malbec with deep notes but showing a freshness that's very soothing. We'll be buying more, thanks.

Drew
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri May 15, 2009 8:09 am

James Roscoe wrote:Jim,
Would you say the Lurton is okay at under $10 for a weeknight quaff? It sounds like the Maipe may be a steal at $12. Have you seen these around? Great post as usual.

Both of these are in my market (central Florida),
I'll not buy the Lurton again.
I will buy the Maipe again and may even try their reserve for two dollars more.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri May 15, 2009 5:57 pm

No Lurton at any price? (I'm a cheap date I suppose.)

I think I've seen the Maipe around. I will be seeking it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat May 16, 2009 6:00 pm

I bought the Maipe Malbec for $11.99 at my BAWS today. I will let you know what I think of it. There is also a Maipe CS at $10.99 that tempted me very much. Has anyone tried that?