The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: "24"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: "24"

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 15, 2009 8:01 pm

As in hours later.

Yesterday I opened a bottle of 2000 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée Carnot, and while decent, I didn't find it to be anything worth talking about or even lingering over. The fruit was dry, the finishing tannins were dry, and I had some regrets over leaving the wine in the cellar too long (and a lot of regrets about the other bottle still down there). Alas. I put a rubber stopper in the bottle & casually tossed it in the fridge overnight.

Fast forward to tonight, and I poured a small glass of post work decompression fluid, and what do you know but that the fruit is back, the drying tannins have become supple, and the wine is balanced, significantly more complex and tasty both with food and without. I don't think I would age it much longer, but drinking it now with air gives quite a lot of pleasure.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: "24"

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri May 15, 2009 8:26 pm

And such are the vagaries that the other bottle will probably be quite different...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Well at least it will be less predictable than the (admittedly fun) show.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri May 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Good to hear. I love it when wines suddenly turn around after air like that and surprise you when you have no expectations.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Had a similar experience recently, with an '07 "Mas Las Cabes" red from Domaine Gardiés. Upon opening, it wasn't much at all. 20 minutes later, a really radical transformation, as it became quite lush and fleshy.