The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

More help requested: good matches for tannic wines.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

More help requested: good matches for tannic wines.

by Bob Ross » Sat May 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Attached is a summary of the tannic wines kindly suggested by readers here, including an excellent approach suggested by Dale Williams.

The South Beach nutritionist suggests that I eat food strong in proteins with tannic wines -- several of which are already in my cellar (probably softened a bit over time now). I'm thinking hard cheeses, particularly from the different areas where the different grapes were grown.

Any suggestions folks?

Many thanks, Bob

Tannic Red Wine Suggestions from WLDG

Cahors! Lower level 2005 Bordeaux might also work well.

Madiran (tannat) might be another option.

A current vintage of a Petite Sirah such as EOS.

Dunn makes some Cabs that are pretty tannic.

Try traditional styled Bairrada (made primarily from the Baga grape) or some Douro wines heavy on the tannins. Touriga Nacional might fit the bill. Or old style Petite Sirah?

Chateau Pradeaux. Gloriously delicious tannin soup.

Nebbiolo, and the traditional Italians are about as dry as dry gets. Consider Anglianico as well.

Pinotage from South Africa.

If tannins are a priority, then Cahors, Barolo, Petite Sirah, etc are good suggestions. Old style Dolcetto can be pretty tannic, too. But my guess is with your cardiologist's "young Bordeaux" suggestion he just means a wine with some good tannins, not the absolute highest tannins possible. Especially if he does second labels, which tend to be less tannic/structured than the first labels. I'd suggest trying an assortment of 2005 satellite Bdx , things from Cotes de Castillon, Bourg, etc.

Even better- I remember you posting interesting notes based on a mixed case that Lyle at CSW put together for you. Think he's not there anymore, but why don't you call Jamie or David and say put together:
1) a case of assorted reds
2) moderate or higher tannins
3) will hold up well over few days
4) under $20 a bottle?
Bet you end up with some fun stuff.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: More help requested: good matches for tannic wines.

by Ian Sutton » Sat May 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Bob
Perhaps the classic combination is tannic wine + steak. Not sure if that's on the menu? Maybe some alternative red meats might match the diet better?

Also many hard cheeses tend to remove the rough edges off tannic/rustic wines (Cahors - yes that's you!), but in a similar way masking the subtleties of more delicate/elegant wines. Seems like a useful area to investigate as you experiment with combinations.

It does highlight some of the issues Matt in UK was encountering though, as being a vegetarian, the matches can be very tough for solidly constructed red wines (without using protein-rich meat).

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat May 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks, Ian. Steak is a great choice, but we only have steak once or twice a month, when Janet gets the urge. I'm hoping to get back to a glass or maybe two glasses a night.

I'll review Matt's posts for hints -- thanks.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Bob,
Betsy has periodically gone on the Sonoma Diet (though I'm the one who should drop lbs). I'm not really familiar with the South Beach, but understand they are in the same "family" of diets. While steak is not part of the Sonoma, they do include flank and skirt steak, due to lower fat, so there's one idea (well, modification of Ian's idea).

The Sonoma diet also emphasizes whole grains and legumes. I find barley, quinoa, lentils, beans, etc if cooked with good broth have deep flavors, and help lighter meats like poultry and pork go with bigger red wines than maybe one would normally think of.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat May 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote: The Sonoma diet also emphasizes whole grains and legumes. I find barley, quinoa, lentils, beans, etc if cooked with good broth have deep flavors, and help lighter meats like poultry and pork go with bigger red wines than maybe one would normally think of.

I'm equally ignorant of the Sonoma diet, but a quick read indicates that SB and Sonoma are certainly kinfolk.

The emphasis is on lean meats and fish, vegetables, fruits, legumes, eggs and low fat dairy -- complex carbs, good fats, high quality protein. I've been thinking about mushrooms, roasted vegetables and hard cheeses, but haven't really come to a good approach. It's hard to think about how to add a simple sugar to my diet after four months of focusing on complex carbohydrates.

I'll think harder about whole grains and legumes as key components of dinner -- I sure like them, but breakfast emphasizes oatmeal and oat bran -- I'm not sure how to work out a balance.

Thanks so much for the ideas, Dale -- I appreciate your approach.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun May 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Does it matter whether the tannins are fully ripe (polymerized)? If not, then I'd look to Malbec from Mendoza, which is pretty much by definition heavily tannic--the dry climate results in thick grape skins; the thicker the skins, the more tannins.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm

With Petite Sirah (PS) we enjoy lamb. We have been able to find some very lean leg steaks in the stores lately. Also check out: http://www.psiloveyou.org/recipes.php