The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Wild Turkey and Gruner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

TN: Wild Turkey and Gruner

by Jim Grow » Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 pm

On Friday AM I shot a wild turkey and in celebration tonight we had a 2005 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Gruner Veltliner. It was a great match with the turkey and sage dressing. The color was pale straw with a nose of light pear. The flavors were of pear and herb with a touch of grass and a tiny spritzy note. Altogether a very fine match.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: TN: Wild Turkey and Gruner

by Robert Reynolds » Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Congrats on the successful turkey hunt! :D
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 am

Nice, although I don't think I am alone in saying that I opened this thread expecting to read about a new whiskey pairing.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am

That sounds like a plausible match (turkey and GV); I'll have to try it next Thanksgiving.

In my neighborhood we are more likely to run them over with a car than shoot the darn things. Although it was fun to watch a young tom do his courtship dance for two hens while I ate breakfast a few weeks ago. They didn't seem very impressed. Poor guy.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:That sounds like a plausible match (turkey and GV); I'll have to try it next Thanksgiving.

In my neighborhood we are more likely to run them over with a car than shoot the darn things. Although it was fun to watch a young tom do his courtship dance for two hens while I ate breakfast a few weeks ago. They didn't seem very impressed. Poor guy.

Had the privledge of watching the tom turkey dance a few weeks ago with similary coy females. I was out riding my bike in the country at the time and later I saw a big tom hit by a car with the fancy feathers blowing all over the place. Thought maybe the poor frustrated guy decided to end it all by jumping in front of a car. Seems to be a bird thing - the pigeons in Union Square Park, NYC were trying to impress the girls yesterday with the same lack of interest.