The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NZ's most cultist red affirms its status

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

WTN: NZ's most cultist red affirms its status

by Sue Courtney » Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 pm

NZ's most cultist red affirms its status at a vertical tasting

A idea was floated on the Auswine* board that we have a vertical tasting of New Zealand's pre-eminent red wine Stonyridge Larose from Waiheke Island- a large populated island in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf that is referred to by the winemakers there as 'The Island of Wine'.

The idea to have a vertical tasting of Stonyridge Larose evolved because most of us had never had a vertical of the wine, just single vintages, at great cost, at any one time. It was because one of the initiators said in a buying thread that his wallet had been stung for the NZ$100 per bottle en primeur price for the 2008 vintage - the 2008 will sell for NZ$220 at the winery when it is released later this year. Well, the thread that was started took 138 replies to organise it - and then it happened - last weekend on the 23rd May, in fact. Entry to the tasting was a unique vintage of Stonyridge Larose and with one of the crew offering the venue, it was BYO everything else, including glasses.

We ended up with 12 vintages to taste - 89, 90, 91, 94, 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07 and we tasted in flights of four.

The first three looked older in the glass - and although dense were picking up quite noticeable bricking hues. These three were blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Malbec. By the 1994 vintage, Petit Verdot had been introduced but it wasn't until 2002 that it exceeded 5 per cent. However in the later vintages, Petit Verdot had varying proportions, mostly in double figures, and was as high as 21% in 2003. However Cabernet Sauvignon is always the dominant component. Alcohol hovers around 13% to 13.5%, according to the labels. The bottles are closed with natural corks.

Here are my brief notes and scores

First Flight
Stonyridge Larose Cabernet 1989
This 20-year old Cabernet predominant blend definitely set the bar high right from the first sip. A well cellared and simply outstanding bottle of wine - brick orange brown in colour with a vinous, savoury, sweet cake-like aroma and delicious old wine flavours - silky and sultry with currant-like fruit and salted raisin notes coming through after an hour in the glass. Earthy, savoury yet sweet with incredible length and mesmerising presence. 19.5/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 1990
Stinky herbal, it still took a long time to open up. Dry, drying, firm tannins, lovely red fruit connotations and raisins with liquorice and cedar notes, oak spice, old plum and cherry jam. Great vinous presence but quite mellow and now on its downhill slide.17/20

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 1991
Woody, old wine, leathery / Bretty, a bit of poo. Some corkiness detected in the palate. Like licking a muddy puddle after rain to quench thirst but all you're left with is a dry, dusty aftertaste with grainy, gravelly tannins - but the vinous sweetness of wine did come through. TCA was marginal and initially picked up immediately by only about four of us- but became more obvious to others with time. Not scored.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 1994
Deep red, very youthful for its age. Voluptuous aromas of creamy oak, ripe cherry and currant fruit and hints of anise. Gorgeous, cedary, youthful intensity in palate with pencil lead, blackcurrant, florals and spice. Firm tannin structure. Sweet finish yet the tannins are dry. Original notes said, "cellar 12 years" - now 15 years on, it could easily go another 10. Outstanding. 19/20.

Second Flight
Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 1996 Deep dense red with bricking tinges. Perfumed, old rose petal, becoming quite savoury with sweet smoky oak and just a hint of mint sauce. Mellow, memories of blackcurrant and blackberry, secondary bottle age characters with smoke and cigar box to the fore. Quite developed compared to the 1994 yet is juicy with a sultry, vinous fascination. 18.5/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 1999
Deep red, some purple highlights. Complex, concentrated, liquorice, red fruit and cedary oak scents. Huge upfront tannin structure but they seem to dissolve as concentrated fruit, floral and oak flavours take over. Opens up gorgeously - sensually - delicious winey flavours, ripe purple and black fruit, violets and rosemary with liquorice, vanilla, cedar and cigar box. Powerful, mouthfilling, sweet fruited and long - still very primary after 30 minutes in the glass. 19.5/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2000
Deep purple red, intensely youthful. Initially dull nose opens up to reveal tobacco, leather, sweet tar, smoke, jammy cassis and dried herbs. The taste is salty savoury and spicy - a hint of marmite perhaps with quite drying grainy tannins that seem to hover around the front of the mouth with leather, tar, roast beef, a hint of mint sauce. Fruit is bright and lifted with plenty of underlying acidity - but that abundant leather spoiled it for me. Incidentally, my husband's favourite of this flight, but I scored it 17.5/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2002
Purple red, fading edges. Dusty on the nose with fine extract, hints of liquorice and concentrated fruit - there's a purity to the blackcurrant-like Cabernet fruit. Savoury to start - savoury, salty and meaty with fine silky tannin structure - then reveals its voluptuousness every which way. A brooding wine with a sweet meaty undercurrent and a mellow finish - concentrated, succulent and long. 18.5/20.

Third Flight
Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2003
Deep purple red. Big earthy leathery aroma becoming quite jammy sweet with vanillin oak, cherry and cassis. Remarkably soft and gentle in the palate with succulent plum, blackberry & blackcurrant fruit, cedar, cigar box and spice but underlying thick tannins assert concentration and power. Leather detected on the nose coming through again on the long, smoky finish. 18/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2004
Bright, super dense, purple hue. Initially overt tar and leather on the nose but becomes more tantalising with vanilla, cassis, cherry and floral scents. A big, rich, full, beefy, tannic style - tannins initially quite distracting. Concentrated cassis, cedar, liquorice, leather and tar becoming quite floral with just a hint of mint on the finish. Despite the tannins, there is a finesse to the wine - keeps getting better and better. Probably best to drink in 20 years time. 18/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2005
Dense purple red. Gorgeous, sweet oak scent - florals, cassis and hints of cigar. Big, rich and succulent with concentrated blackberry, blackcurrant & preserved black cherry fruit, liquorice and florals yet powerful meaty flavours and lots of oak of sweet spicy oak. Beautifully fine tannin structure from the outset - amazingly decadent and juicy - you could drink this now without too much difficulty - but with the tannins asserting their power on the lingering smoky finish, it clearly has a long future ahead of it. 19.5/20.

Stonyridge Larose Cabernets 2007
Dense purple red. Spicy smelling with sweet smoky savoury oak, fruit cake cherry, cassis and a hint of tar. Scent is tantalising but the huge tannin structure makes it, like the 2004, almost unapproachable right now. Rich, meaty, savoury, leathery and tarry with nuances of cherry, plum and black currant jam becoming more succulent on the vanillin oak finish with florals and a hint of mint. Phenomenally long finish - amazing potential but needs time. Decant. 18.5/20.

There was a vote at the end of the tasting by first and second favourite wines. I voted 2005 for 2 points, followed by 1999 for 1 point. The 1989 was relegated to third favourite - although it was the wine I most desired at the end of the tasting to have a big glass of there and then without food. No such luck, unfortunately. I did taste a wee sample the next day, however, and it was glorious.

The overall 'top wine' accolade, when the votes were counted, went to Stonyridge Larose 2005. The next four wines in order, were 1999, 1994, 1989 and 2007.

Hope people find this of interest (reads and replies will tell). More complete notes are on my website at this link.

Cheers,
Sue.

*I'll just add here that the Auswine board is not really competition to WLDG but it provides a venue for Australians and Kiwis to hang out and talk primarily about the Australian and NZ wines in our market place. I believe Robin and Auswine's Gavin are friends.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: NZ's most cultist red affirms its status

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Impressive. I would like to try just one vintage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed May 27, 2009 9:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Impressive. I would like to try just one vintage.

If you come to NZ you just might. Last time I visited Stonyridge was with Thor and Theresa.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed May 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Amazing lineup Sue - those sound phenomenal. (Although I must say that when I saw the title, for some reason I was expecting notes on either Providence Matakana or Trinity Hill Homage.)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Amazing lineup Sue - those sound phenomenal. (Although I must say that when I saw the title, for some reason I was expecting notes on either Providence Matakana or Trinity Hill Homage.)

Providence flies below the radar. It doesn't stir the sensory braincells as much as Stonyridge Larose. Trinity Hill Homage (are you talking about the Cab, Chard or Syrah?) has not been around for long enough to attain that status yet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Amazing lineup Sue - those sound phenomenal. (Although I must say that when I saw the title, for some reason I was expecting notes on either Providence Matakana or Trinity Hill Homage.)

Is Providence Matakana culty? I bought and took a bottle to a tasting in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, didn't know it was supposed to be that special.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 am

Sue, what's the meaning of the 'Larose' in the name? Is there a connection to a French winery, like Canada's Osoyoos Larose?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Sue, I just found and purchased five bottles of the 99. I look forward to tasting this wine some day!
no avatar
User

Joe Cz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:46 am

Monroe, NY

by Joe Cz » Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Sue,

Thanks for the notes. We rarely see this wine in the U.S., but I vividly remember tasting the 1994 when it was young and being really impressed. Glad to see it has turned out as well as I thought it would.

Joe
Joe Czerwinski
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Where did you get them Jenise? And did you leave any for me?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey, I just found the 2002 at our state monopoly, and it costs roughly $62! But why has it been acidified with both citric and sorbic acid? Is that normal procedure, I wonder, or was the 02 vintage special?

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
Last edited by Fredrik L on Thu May 28, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 1:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Where did you get them Jenise? And did you leave any for me?

JJ Buckley. And no, if their inventory is correct, I took the last five they had. However, I can include one in your fall shipment of computer parts. :) I also put myself on the waiting list for the 05 at K & L Wines in San Fran. About $45 at both places.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu May 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Is Providence Matakana culty? I bought and took a bottle to a tasting in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, didn't know it was supposed to be that special.

Yes - it's equally tough to find (I've found that only Flickinger in Chicago has it, and at a very steep price), and supposed to be up there among the top New World reds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Salil, it's around. I bought the 2000 I had just a few weeks ago at a local Bellingham wine shop, whose owner said he'd picked it up on a distributor close-out.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Salil, it's around. I bought the 2000 I had just a few weeks ago at a local Bellingham wine shop, whose owner said he'd picked it up on a distributor close-out.

WIne-searcher lists some outlets too.

Jenise wrote:Is Providence Matakana culty? I bought and took a bottle to a tasting in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, didn't know it was supposed to be that special.

It's really only recently that it has been available to other than mail order customers with a fine wine retailer representing the brand in NZ and ower Jim Vuletich opening a tasting room over the summer with limited hours - like holiday weekends only. It flies under the radar in NZ - I'm not sure if critics are sent samples. We don't see rave reviews put out by the winery telling everyone how fabulous the wines are and who are the lauded critics who rate it. Focus in marketing has been off shore - Asia (Japan) and now obviously the USA. Looking up now I see it is cheaper than Stonyridge Larose. Might have to procure a bottle or two - now that it is possible to procure a bottle or two without being on mail order - and see what it's all about.

I've tasted one vintage - the 1993 - and that just happened to be in the company of one Mr Robin Garr (see his article http://www.wineloverspage.com/wines/auck.shtml - I notice looking back at this we also tasted SRL 1994)

Jenise wrote:Sue, what's the meaning of the 'Larose' in the name? Is there a connection to a French winery, like Canada's Osoyoos Larose?

I think so. Stephen worked in Bordeaux for a while. I'll check.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu May 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:

Yes - it's equally tough to find (I've found that only Flickinger in Chicago has it, and at a very steep price), and supposed to be up there among the top New World reds.

Salil

I have an ever reducing selection of the SRL going back to the early 90s. Whenever I have put them up against the best of Australia such as the Mt Marys or Moss Woods, they normally come out ahead by nose and I have never tasted anything even close out of South Africa. When I saw the tasting was on, I was very tempted to fly over for the weekend. I just wasn't sure if they were allowing Aussie in. :lol: Fun things those kiwi birds.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:I have an ever reducing selection of the SRL going back to the early 90s. Whenever I have put them up against the best of Australia such as the Mt Marys or Moss Woods, they normally come out ahead by nose and I have never tasted anything even close out of South Africa. When I saw the tasting was on, I was very tempted to fly over for the weekend. I just wasn't sure if they were allowing Aussie in. :lol: Fun things those kiwi birds.

If you had fronted up with unique bottle of SRl - you most definitely would have been allowed in.

I took one over to an Australian offline in Melbourne at The Arc back in 2002 - it was tasted blind - no-one picked it as NZ and most went for Coonawarra IIRC. Possibly a 1994. I think it performed very well in the company of some stellar Aussies and the kiwi bird definitely had fun!

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Sue,

Was any thought given to throwing in a ringer?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Sue,

Was any thought given to throwing in a ringer?

Tom, the wines were not tasted blind, but a Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1995 was put on the table.

My notes - Deep red, concentrated and dense. Perfumed, lovely primary blackcurrant of Cabernet fruit on the nose. Sweet oak, spice, earth, leather and cassis, the tannins are firm and grippy but the finish is deliciously long and sweet. Becomes quite raisiny with time.

We tasted this at then end of Flight 2, which included the 1996, 1999, 2002 and 2002 Larose. Larose is a blend and in the Montelena, the purity of the Cabernet fruit definitely came through.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Sue, what's the meaning of the 'Larose' in the name? Is there a connection to a French winery, like Canada's Osoyoos Larose?

Shot off an email to Stonyridge and just received a reply from GM, David Jackson.

The name given to our flagship wine was so named after the Rose. Steven believes this to be the most beautiful flower in the world so hence "Larose".

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

Ah, so the winery name is Stonyridge and this blend is the Larose. I somehow hadn't cottoned onto that yet.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu May 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

Shot off an email to Stonyridge and just received a reply from GM, David Jackson.

The name given to our flagship wine was so named after the Rose. Steven believes this to be the most beautiful flower in the world so hence "Larose".

Cheers,
Sue

And the reason he likes roses, is..?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri May 29, 2009 5:08 am

Jenise wrote:Our Benelux (private enterprise) importer asks €94 for 2005 going up to €136 for 1998 :evil: . Long live the Swedish monopoly, K&L Wines and JJ Buckley :!:

It's even better than that. At Buckley, I'm on a private client list. After finding the wine on the store's inventory, all I had to do was shoot my guy an email and say "put those aside for me". He processed the transaction, had the warehouse move the wine to cool summer storage for fall shipping, and shot me back a receipt. Ah, the sweet life.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 am

Mark Kogos wrote:And the reason he likes roses, is..?

How about tradition?

Stonyridge rose:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
Next