The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question for Canadians on importation

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

Question for Canadians on importation

by MichaelRedhill » Thu May 28, 2009 6:41 am

Well, our time is almost up here in France, and it's been lovely and instructive and overall perfect. Now comes the hard part. We've been back a couple of times with up to ten bottles of wine and have been honest at the border and have done just fine. (We live in Onatrio, BTW.) A couple times we paid some duty, a couple times they just waved us through. Now I'm going home for a week and am going to try to bring a big whack with me -- 20 bottles, or 15 litres, and there are some big wines in there as well. The total value of the shipment will be over $1000.

Now, when I first tried this, I understood that as long as you brought in less than 30 litres you didn't need a commercial license. You just declared the value and showed the receipts, etc. But recent internet searches suggest that, for some reason, I have to involve the LCBO in this now and pay a per-bottle cost and that the duties in Ontario may have gone sky-high, not to mention that they no longer trust receipts and look up every wine online for valuation, etc etc. So does anyone on this board (hello Bob from Alberta) know anything about Ontario's draconian laws, and what should I be doing to prepare for the crossing? Every time I do this, I should say, the customs guy gives me a cross-eyed AHA! look and says HEY: you're over your limit! And I say, I know -- I've got my documentation and I'm ready to pay my taxes. And then everything seems to turn out okay. But I'm worried about getting into a boondoggle with this amount and/or having to pay an obscene amount of tax.

Thanks --

Michael
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

Re: Question for Canadians on importation

by Alan Gardner » Thu May 28, 2009 12:31 pm

There are two issues - federal and Provincial.
The feds allow you to bring back 'liquor (which includes wine & beer)' providing you pay the appropriate federal taxes/duties (relatively small). Under the Free Trade Agreement, there CANNOT be any limit - except Europe is not part of that (US, Mexico - and possibly Chile - I only researched the US/Mexico portion).
However each Province has its own 'rules' and as the Provinces do not enter into any International agreements, that's where the issue lies. The feds collect any 'taxes etc payable' on behalf of the Province. And, naturally, every Province has separate rules - I use the word 'rules' advisedly as, there appears to be NO LEGISLATION supporting this, so the 'rules' have never been published (for Ontario it would be the Ontario Gazette).
So the legality of any 'collection for the Provinces' is certainly questionable - but I don't have the funds to pursue that (under Free Trade Agreement the feds are required to ensure the provinces do not levy separate 'fees' (my word) - the official word isn't taxes but I can't lay my hands on it).
In Ontario, the last time I tested this, the limit was 45 litres - but given no legislation/documentation it can change on a whim. In B.C. it was 9 litres. And the rules apply at the point of Canadian entry (if you clear customs in Montreal, say, Quebec 'taxes' will be applied). Then, of course, it is illegal to move the liquor (wine) to another province without paying that province's taxes (and no international agreement can change that part - although I've never heard that part being enforced on a 'casual importation' - which is the term used for wine that accompanies you). Of course, the different province treatment is probably illegal too (under the Canadian Charter Of Rights) - for example an 18-year-old can legally bring wine into Quebec but not Ontario; similarly identical twins, one flying into BC and the other into Ontario at the same time can bring different quantities of the same wine back (a case in BC, 5 cases in Ontario).
And the chances of any customs official knowing these differences is minimal!!!!

Now the practical stuff.
If the wine accompanies you and you have 5 cases (45 litres) or less and you fly into Ontario - you can pay all duties/taxes/etc at the point of entry.
If it doesn't accompany you need all the importation stuff - permits, brokers etc.
Either way it's 'better' to have receipts. In the age of the internet, expect them to go online to check any 'substantial' imports (I've had two importations checked - both around 2 cases - less than that seems to be more leniently checked).

If you hit problems - ask for documentation - POLITELY as you wish to challenge any assessment, but will pay whatever is assessed and claim a rebate. So be sure to get details of exchange rates. In my situation, I now carry a camera to take pictures of the bottles with the customs officer (they'll refuse, but ask to have an official sign in the background to show where you were when the picture is taken). I've been bitten badly having a wine that retailed for $36 in Ontario assessed at $150 cost at origin (and hence taxed as such). Then when I protested later, they said I'd brought in a different wine!!!! If they use the net, ask for screen prints. BUT REMEMBER AT ALL TIMES CUSTOMS AGENTS ARE NEXT TO GOD.

For wines accompanying you, expect to pay about 100% in levies (exact amount depends on value as some duties are volume-based). If you ship the wine separately, 150% is more realistic (and involves trips to brokers and customs). And good luck getting the airline to accept the wine - it must be checked baggage and weight limits have been reduced drastically over the past 5 years. And pray your luggage isn't delayed!

PS I no longer bring wine back (over 1.5 litres) - so Canada Customs/Ontario no longer get ANY importation revenue from me (but I will contribute to anybody challenging these rules).
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for this reply. I've had such an easy time of it the last six times I did this that I have this niggling feeling that the odds aren't going to be in my favour this time, and I'm bringing in quite a bit more than I ever have before. I've been to the LCBO site and it looks like a $10 bottle brought on your person can be taxed up to about 70% to $17, although I know they can do whatever they feel like doing. The Internet stuff is what worries me because naturally, $1000 worth of wine bought in France could easily be found on North American sites retailing for 4x the amount. So I'm bracing myself for having to lose some of the more expensive bottle. Which will seriously ruin my day.

I'll let you know what happens.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 pm

You seem to have the right 'spreadsheet'.
A $10 Cdn will have 'fees' of $6.80 (of which the most significant fee is the 39.6% "border levy")
The formula is (or was, last time I checked):
Accompanied : Cost * 1.614 + 0.66 (per bottle)
Unaccompanied: Cost * 2.315 + 0.95 (per bottle).
[found my notes - of course this includes the original cost - subtract 1 from the multiplier for levies]
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu May 28, 2009 7:36 pm

I just tell them they are samples for the restaurant biz. Never had to pay anything but then I live in free-market Alberta...grin wink.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 am

Sorry Bob,
But a change last year in Ontario means that samples now have to be paid for at the same rates based on 'fair market value' in the originating country. The 'rule of thumb' is that the base price is what 'any normal consumer would pay'.
And the practical application is that if they can't find the exact vintage they'll use the closest they can find on the net.
Hence my 66 d'Yquem was assigned levies as if it was a 67 d'Yquem.