The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Nations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Four Nations

by Rahsaan » Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 am

Friday night at Dino with Maureen and Bob.

After waiting and stalling for a while until the interlopers left our Prime Table, we started off with the 2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Kabinett which was a lacy pleasing joy although sweeter and slightly rounder than I expected/remembered from other 2001 wines. Of course the crystal clear underlying crispness was there but I dare say this needs a bit more age for it to fully stretch out into the perfect place for my palate.

Another intermediary wine was the 2002 Alzinger Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd which was big and pure and fine but a touch too big and brawny at the moment for my tastes. Come back to this.

With the main course, the 2000 Palari Faro was very interesting as I would not have identified it as a Sicilian wine with all of its sleek fresh tones. But maybe I don’t know enough about Sicily. With time, the nutty dark red fruit started to show some drying sweet elements that Dean referred to as oak. The rest of us were not convinced. But we enjoyed drinking it at the time and were happy doing so. So sue us!

We ended with the 1995 Huet Vouvray Cuvée Constance which was quite dark and botrytis-filled and definitely did not get enough air. It seemed flabby and underwhelming upon opening but became more complex as it gained air and warmed in the glass. Is that always the case? I’m sure it will only be better as Bob follows it at home!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Four Nations

by Rahsaan » Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 am

Rahsaan wrote:Another intermediary wine was the 2002 Alzinger Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd which was big and pure and fine but a touch too big and brawny at the moment for my tastes. Come back to this.

Good idea. Because now, 5 hours after opening, it is only getting better, golden, firm, yet sleek. But I would still rather see it again in a few years.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Sat May 30, 2009 1:15 am

Cuvée Constance has some pretty strong supporters, a certain number of whom unfailing say it is "better than Yquem".

I deduce from your post that your example was either disappointing or too young.

We had Yquem fromt the same year not long ago. It was also not at its peak, but a real delight.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 30, 2009 10:25 am

The 2001s are frustrating in that some are really starting to come around, thus leaving the thought that it might apply to others. Of course that's not always true.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 30, 2009 10:57 am

AlexR wrote:Cuvée Constance has some pretty strong supporters, a certain number of whom unfailing say it is "better than Yquem".

I deduce from your post that your example was either disappointing or too young..

I am curious how it evolves with air so I'm hoping to get updates from Bob but the initial showing was definitely subpar for the price. That said, we didn't want to rush into a verdict because it may very well need air or just be in a funky stage. I don't have enough experience with the bottling to know.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 30, 2009 11:13 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2001s are frustrating in that some are really starting to come around, thus leaving the thought that it might apply to others. Of course that's not always true.

It seems that way to me. The only 2001s that I own myself are Grünhaus and I'm not even thinking about opening them for a while.

Some people might have responded to this Haag kabinett differently. Dean was loving it (or maybe he was just being polite) and certainly there was nothing wrong with it. But for my tastes I think I would rather have it stretch out and firm up a bit with a bit more age. Unless I'm unfairly typecasting 2001 as a place to get racy kabinetts.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 30, 2009 11:15 am

You can get racy kabinetts from 2001, though they are still near auslese in must weight, so patience is rewarded. They have a better backbone of acidity than the 2007s.

2002 is very good for kabinett right now. Perhaps we can explore the contrasts later this summer/fall.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 30, 2009 11:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:You can get racy kabinetts from 2001, though they are still near auslese in must weight, so patience is rewarded. They have a better backbone of acidity than the 2007s.

Yes, I remembered such 'regal' and firm structures from the first few years after they were released, but I obviously only tasted a certain selection.

2002 is very good for kabinett right now. Perhaps we can explore the contrasts later this summer/fall.

Yes another fine project! :wink: