The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

by geo t. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Whilst perusing the wine selection in our friendly neighborhood Costco recently, I came upon the following item. Noting that I was: A. at present an unsigned free agent, and B. in need of some red Rhônes for Red Wings mojo, I asked myself once again, “How bad can it be?!” The Kirkland brand name gave me cause for pause, but I was reminded of Miles’ words of wisdom in the movie “Risky Business,” and took the plunge. I mean really, “sometimes, you just gotta say what the f*ck!

2007 Kirkland Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee de Nalys, 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 7% Vaccares, 3% Mourvedre-Muscardin, 14.5% alc., $19.99: Deep dark color and deep dark flavors and aromas of briar-bramble, rich black plum, black currant, black olive, coffee and earth. Fairly ripe for Chateauneuf du Pape, but then it’s very young and primary; full bodied, balanced and well structured. Pretty good for so youthful a wine, with plenty of promise for future development. The more it opens with air, the more I like it. A great value, all things considered.

Imported by DC Flynt MW Selections (Master of Wine), Lake Charles, LA

We also tried these two during the second round of the NHL playoffs (sorry Ducks fans).

2005 Domaine du Grand Tinel Chateauneuf du Pape, 14.5% alc.: Clean medium dark color, with an earthy, tarry nose that carries over on to the palate with a deep, dark black fruit core. Big and chewy; very well structured, with a fine future ahead of it, so be patient and see what it’s like at around 10 years of age.

Imported by J et R Selections, Mount Pleasant, MI

2001 Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee du Baron, $38.99, 14% alc.: Dark color, with a slight tinge of rust; sun baked nose follows through on the palate with smoky black currant, blackberry, stewed tomato and a little funky old wood. Full bodied, big and chewy, well structured and still on the way up. Give it some air and it’s really good now but it’ll be even better with at least 5 more years in the cellar.

Imported by Wines of France, Inc., Mountainside, NJ

- from Red Wings & Red Rhones Playoff Diary 2009-Round 2

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: TN: 3 from Chateauneuf du Pape

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Good stuff! I wish our Costco could sell wine.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Interesting notes.

I have a feeling that most $15 2007 Cotes du Rhones will beat the pants off the Costco Chateauneuf though. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12 am

James Roscoe wrote:Good stuff! I wish our Costco could sell wine.

James, the closest one that does , as I'm sure you know, is over in Pentagon City. I often go there on my lunch hour and get a case. The prices really are good.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
I have a feeling that most $15 2007 Cotes du Rhones will beat the pants off the Costco Chateauneuf though.

David,

Have you tried the Costco C9 George is talking about?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Hey Bro'
Obviously the Costco ChndP mojo was not enough to overcome my Penguin Pinot,(a suprisingly nice 2006 offering from Kettle Valley, that would benefit from a few more years in the bottle, but is a fruity new world style Pinot, well made and well structured.)
The 2001 Chateau Fortia sounds pretty yummy for the price.
Nothing against your Wings -- just would like to see Syd get a Cup -- and wait until next year -- the revamped Oilers might actually live up to their talent with Pat Quinn behind the bench!

hugs

Ruth
p.s. to those of you who don't know, we really are siblings, just born to completely different parents in different countries. :)
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Dave R wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:
I have a feeling that most $15 2007 Cotes du Rhones will beat the pants off the Costco Chateauneuf though.

David,

Have you tried the Costco C9 George is talking about?

No, but I've tried several of the Kirkland wines (mostly unfortunate gifts), and there has not yet been a one that measured up to a good second label from the same region. Are they correct? Yes. Are they any more than that? No.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am

Ruth B wrote:Hey Bro'
Obviously the Costco ChndP mojo was not enough to overcome my Penguin Pinot,(a suprisingly nice 2006 offering from Kettle Valley, that would benefit from a few more years in the bottle, but is a fruity new world style Pinot, well made and well structured.)
Nothing against your Wings -- just would like to see Syd get a Cup -- and wait until next year -- the revamped Oilers might actually live up to their talent with Pat Quinn behind the bench!

hugs

Ruth
p.s. to those of you who don't know, we really are siblings, just born to completely different parents in different countries. :)

Yes, I am honored to be your brother from another mother, despite your blasphemy re: Wings vs. Pens. We actually had the Kirkland Nalys during the Ducks series, so it doesn't count towards the finals. Need to uncork some mo' serious mojo for tonight's game so Syd can wait until next year. Say Hi to Stacy for us!

Hugs & kisses,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:57 am

Must say, I was less than impressed with the way the Penguins were taking one cheap shot after another against the Red Wings last night. Of course, I did enjoy the heavy price they paid with the constant stream of players going to the penalty box. I don't think they could have played a much stupider game, and looked like the Black Hawks in that regard.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :roll:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

geo, Wings prevail

by Steve Kirsch » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:01 pm

geo, laid up as we are here at the Grosse Ile gang remote outpost, we're looking to you and Kim to instigate some serious mojo for Game 6. If I'm feeling better, I'll try to do the same, but handing an outsider the key to my cellar (to fetch a bottle or two) will not be easy! Still, there are times in history when drastic steps must be taken.

I agree with the SI writer who characterized last night's Pens as acting like punks. In particular, the slash on Datsyuk's foot--from behind--was a punk move that had nothing to do with competitiveness.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

Re: geo, Wings prevail

by geo t. » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Steve Kirsch wrote:geo, laid up as we are here at the Grosse Ile gang remote outpost, we're looking to you and Kim to instigate some serious mojo for Game 6. If I'm feeling better, I'll try to do the same, but handing an outsider the key to my cellar (to fetch a bottle or two) will not be easy! Still, there are times in history when drastic steps must be taken.

I agree with the SI writer who characterized last night's Pens as acting like punks. In particular, the slash on Datsyuk's foot--from behind--was a punk move that had nothing to do with competitiveness.

Punks is a very good characterization of the Pens last night, Steve. If they thought they were going to draw the Wings into retaliation penalties, they just don't know how well disciplined Detroit is. Datsyuk's retrun was a key to last night's performance by the Wings~let's hope the same will happen on Tuesday. Hope you're feeling better by then!

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Ruth B wrote:Hey Bro'

hugs

Ruth

Hi Ruth, I know you have been around for a while, but I sure missed somehow that you are George's sister. Geo is a favorite of mine and I always try to transport a bottle or three to him and Madam every August when I go up for Mo'Cool. Being his sister, I suppose you are familiar with Mo'Cool and I for one am hoping to meet you there in August 2009.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Hi Ruth, I know you have been around for a while, but I sure missed somehow that you are George's sister. Geo is a favorite of mine and I always try to transport a bottle or three to him and Madam every August when I go up for Mo'Cool. Being his sister, I suppose you are familiar with Mo'Cool and I for one am hoping to meet you there in August 2009.

Geo and I might have trouble proving any family relationship in any court in either land, but we decided a million years ago (or around 1997) that we must be brother and sister. We won't be Mo'Cooling this year (will conflict with either the Folk Festival or Stacy's Hot Glass) but we'll get there eventually. It's been a long time since we had the chance to 'hang with the Gang' (yikes was it Niagara 2001????)
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Ruth B wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Geo and I might have trouble proving any family relationship in any court in either land, but we decided a million years ago (or around 1997) that we must be brother and sister. We won't be Mo'Cooling this year (will conflict with either the Folk Festival or Stacy's Hot Glass) but we'll get there eventually. It's been a long time since we had the chance to 'hang with the Gang' (yikes was it Niagara 2001????)

It was indeed Niagara in '01, Sis. Don't know if you've been back there since, but you would be amazed at how much the wines have improved! They're making some absolutely delicious stuff; here are a few links to check out re: our recent trips there:

http://www.gangofpour.com/underground/2 ... aster.html

http://www.gangofpour.com/underground/2 ... bench.html

http://www.gangofpour.com/underground/2 ... ratus.html

Oh, and... GO RED WINGS!!!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Ruth B wrote:We won't be Mo'Cooling this year (will conflict with either the Folk Festival or Stacy's Hot Glass) but we'll get there eventually.

Ruth, are you a regular at Folk Fest? I'll have to look for you this year.

I wish there were a way to bring good wine in. Though I usually sneak a flask of scotch for the cold nights on the hill.