The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chablis and Cal PN rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chablis and Cal PN rose

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Saturday was an absolutely lovely day, and as a bonus the Hastings farmer's market moves to every Saturday in June. Spent a bit of time at office, then went to market. Except for lettuce, too early to really get the bounty of local produce, but they now have some good meat and seafood suppliers. I had gotten a couple of veal chops, but was concerned they were small, when a friend mentioned how great the sea scallops were from one vendor. So surf and turf!

We decided to do it in courses. I took care of the scallops, just a sear in garlicky olive oil then lemon and chives for a sauce. We had a 375 of the 2007 Vincent Mothe Chablis AC, a clean and fresh Chard with no apparent oak. Fuji and Granny Smith apple, just a hint of chalk, very good acidity, not riveting but an easy drinker and nice match with the sweet scallops.

Betsy had everything prepped for the veal chops with sage leaves, with some leftover asparagus, quinoa/bean salad, and greens. These chops are grass fed, so a bit less delicate (and redder and more "beefy") . Usually I do a bigger white (Gruner anyone?) with veal chops, but these seemed to edge more towards red. I compromised with a pinkie, the 2008 Lucia Vineyards "Lucy" rose (Santa Lucia Highlands). I confess I mainly bought this because Lucy is our dog's name. Lucy the wine is a rose of Pinot Noir, outside a few top Loires not my favorite grape for pink. This is not bad, on the bigger side of rose, with rich strawberry sorbet, a hint of herbs, and a not-unpleasant bitter note on finish. I can't say I love it, but I certainly like it, and would buy again (but partly due to name, and that $1 goes to breast cancer research). I'm a sucker. :) B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chablis and Cal PN rose

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey if you can get wine with your dog's name & give money to breast cancer research you're way ahead of the game.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: Chablis and Cal PN rose

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm

if you ever see the pinot noir rose from scott harvey - i think it is under his wife's label 'Jana Wines' - this is the real deal - a dead ringer for Sancerre rose.
david creighton