The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Rhone Upstream with Rostaing, Clape, Guigal and the crew

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN: Rhone Upstream with Rostaing, Clape, Guigal and the crew

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 pm

I was thankful to have another chance to taste with my friend Ed’s group this past month. The theme was Northern Rhones, and we ended up with a very nice line-up of nine wines representing a good cross-section of communes. All wines were served blind.

1996 Tardieu-Laurent Cote-Rotie. The bouquet on this first wine of the night is overt and exuberant. It features a notable purity of blue fruit and a flowery elegance married to a denser earthy aromatic core. Specific aromas of violets, cigar ash, tangy blue fruits and hardened bacon grease manage to seem both airily perfumed and intensely meaty at the same time. It is a bit astringent in the mouth for a while upon first tasting, though the finish manages to be less puckering. Coming back to it after a while, however, reveals a wine that has become smooth and rounded, with flavors that leave a rather lasting impression. It is mellow-fruited and really accessible, with little tannin interference and just a springy backbone of acidity for structure. The black cherry and dark cranberry fruit has some depth of flavor, but the wine mostly demonstrates an easy-going, not too pushy character that may make it seem to lack some dynamism through the middle. However, it is a nice reflective wine showing a good deal of resolution and excellent length. When it was revealed as a Tardieu-Laurent, I was shocked, as the ’95 and ’97 Crozes I have in my cellar taste like they were bottled yesterday and a ’97 Cote-Rotie a few years back seemed destined for at least another decade of cellaring requirements.

1991 Rene Rostaing Cote-Rotie Cote Blonde. The next wine is much more directly earthy and funky on the nose, featuring aromas of sweaty leather, cinder ash, persimmon and mint leaf combining into a masculine, but classy bouquet. It has its own sort of perfumed quality and sense of aged resolution, but it has a wiry kick to it, as well. It is just really enjoyable to sniff. It is equally enjoyable to drink. It has a big mouthfeel to it, covering the palate with lots of spicy and lively black raspberry fruit and an ever-growing brown caramel edge. It is direct and intense, yet not overly thick or dense. It has excellent push from the mid-palate through to the finish and displays effortless length. There isn’t much tannin except perhaps some sneaking in toward the back, and the wine has a really interesting quality of seeming to languish and roll around for quite a while on the tongue. This is just a very enjoyable wine and my WOTN.

1988 E. Guigal Hermitage. The bouquet of this wine grows and grows throughout the evening. It offers up very direct notes of aged leather books, horse sweat, jalapeno pepper, ash and sweet cherry fruit roll-ups that grow sweeter and finer as the night goes on, eventually turning a bit darker fruited with some bacon fat accents. It feels substantial and solid both on the nose and on the palate. Indeed, in the mouth, it is fuller-bodied than the previous two wines, but also maybe more four-square and stocky. It also has more acidity, more tannic structure and more overall body. The sour cherry, cranberry and dark raspberry fruit comes across as wide-based but not especially exciting. So, it feels substantial and solid, just not especially dynamic.

1985 Guy de Barjac Cornas. The aromatic character of this wine offers by far the biggest funk-fest on the night. Loamy earth, bridle leather, moss, dark moist cigar wrapper, grilled bell pepper, sweaty animal hide, campfire embers and eventually even a bit of fruit in the form of rhubarb combine together to make for a really interesting bouquet. It feels texturally seamless in the mouth, with good density of fruit, a dry finish and nice overall balance. It feels easy-going, with no hard edges until some astringent acidity sneaks in on the finish. The wine holds itself together well over the course of the entire evening, although some gentle tannins do start to show themselves after a bit. Still, this seems like a fine wine to drink now and maybe even a ways into the future.

1983 Paul Jaboulet Aine St. Joseph Le Grand Pompee. The nose here is a bit shy and in general softer and more feminine than most of the others on the table. It does open up a bit over time to reveal notes of dusty licorice rope and more ebullient sweet red cherry and raspberry fruit—but eventually folding in some less appealing elements of stalks or stems, as well. In the mouth, it is silky-smooth in texture, with an easy feminine presence and some pretty surface-oriented black cherry and blackberry fruit. It is definitely showing a softened edge as a result of age, but sadly it does not come across as especially layered or complex. It is nice and pleasant for a while, but eventually it starts to dry out and some raspy tannins come in to turn the whole package a lot tougher. This is one to enjoy for its surface pleasures and nicely resolved qualities early on.

2000 E. Guigal Cote-Rotie Brune et Blonde. This wine seems to have more youthful aromas than most, featuring big aromas of wild mixed berries, stems, menthol, thin mint candy and maybe a bit of lifted volatility at times. It is really solid in the mouth, with a dense deep core of dark chocolate and black currant flavors. It is full-bodied and on the dense side, with meaty flavors and big presence but a fairly silky texture. This is one that would seem to need some time, but can be tamed with appropriate food.

1988 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas. A real earthiness pervades the nose of this wine, with charcoal ash, green pepper, tomato leaf, warm stones, clay, dried blood, leather and dried cherry aromas combining at odd, disjointed angles for awhile before really starting to come together in a nice package at around the one hour mark. In the mouth, this tastes pretty both younger and older, with plenty of soft and rounded tannins lending structure to what is otherwise a nice easy-flowing wine. It has a nice earthy core, with flavors of ground spices, tangy and sometimes sweet dark red fruits and sour cherry that meld together with a fine inner mouth perfume. It is a complex wine, with a lot going on—it just seems to need some time to gather itself together. But by then, it starts to turn a bit too sour and drying. My advice is to give it a few hours of decanting time and then drink it up as soon as it feels like it has achieved the harmony and balance it eventually finds.

1988 E. Guigal Cote-Rotie Brune et Blonde. A good deal of sediment seems to be thrown by this wine, judging by the chunks floating in my glass (even though the staff had decanted it). The nose has a fresh and complex character to it, with all kinds of brambly wild berries, mown grass, sarsaparilla, nutmeg, coriander, persimmon and rendered bacon fat aromas wafting around. It has a nice silky texture in the mouth, with a fine tang to the bright cherry and black raspberry fruit flavors. It feels fresh and on the medium-bodied side, with a good deal of drive and life. Late tannins feel spicy and fine-honed and the wine as a whole just feels exuberant. It is like downing a perfect shot of Syrah goodness. My runner-up wine of the night I liked it so much that I bought some at auction a few weeks later.

1990 Ferraton Pere et Fils Hermitage Cuvee des Miaux. The evening’s final wine is decidedly cloudy and murky in appearance and doesn’t smell anything at all like the body of wines on the table. In fact, it takes me a while to realize that what this wine smells like is a highly perfumed, fuzzy red late-harvest Gewurztraminer. I mean it is bizarre to stick your nose into a glass of Northern Rhone and smell litchi, sweet tropical mango, raspberry fizz and red grapefruit galore! I have to say it has a certain sweet and sexy attractiveness to it, but it’s totally out of whack with expectations. Anyway, in the mouth, this is very softly cushioned, with a gorgeous silky texture that is smooth and polished to a high buff. There are no hard edges and again one can sense a certain sexy quality to the sweet tropical red fruit. Much later in the evening, it seems to be approaching more typical Syrah qualities, but it never shakes this unusual tropical character. What a wild experience.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

Re: TN: Rhone Upstream with Rostaing, Clape, Guigal and the crew

by Ben Rotter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 am

Nice notes Michael. Perhaps the Ferraton had some dominating Marsanne and Roussane in there(?).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am

I have always found Guigal's Cote Rotie more interesting than his Hermitage (speaking of the basic bottlings - have not tried the Ex-Voto). I have the '98 Hermitage in the cellar, but have not opened a bottle for years and years. Might have to grab one soon just for the sake of science.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Great notes, thank you. Excellent to have as a reference. Neal Rosenthal's book has a very interesting section on Ferraton, well worth reading.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Ben Rotter wrote:Perhaps the Ferraton had some dominating Marsanne and Roussane in there(?).

Ben, there might be something to that, as up to 15% is allowed in Hermitage. I'm not sure what the Ferraton blend is, though.

My guess is that this is some sort of spoilage issue, even though the wine was quite drinkable. Early reviews from the usual suspects were glowing and described a completely different wine. But a read through CT notes, blogs, a Rovani Hedonist Gazette write up, a Neal Martin review, and other sources suggest a huge amount of problems with the wine over more recent years--from brett and VA and perhaps combinations thereof. Yes, there are still glowing reviews on botles that managed to stay pristine and true to themselves, but I think this is one to be cautious about, especially if considering auction purchases.

-Michael
Last edited by Michael Malinoski on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have always found Guigal's Cote Rotie more interesting than his Hermitage (speaking of the basic bottlings - have not tried the Ex-Voto). I have the '98 Hermitage in the cellar, but have not opened a bottle for years and years. Might have to grab one soon just for the sake of science.

David, I share your view on the Hermitage vs Cote Rotie. I've had the '78 (corked, sadly), '86, '88, '89, '90 (three times) and '98 Hermitages and other than the '98 and two out of three of the '90's, they have been ok but not special. The '89 in particular was a disappointment, and I have more in the cellar. The '98 was tasted last summer and the person who brought it said he'd had a mediocre experience with it, but on that night it was really very good. Have your experiences been mixed like that?

-Michael
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Neal Rosenthal's book has a very interesting section on Ferraton, well worth reading.

Thanks, Oswaldo! One more reason to put that on my Amazon wish list! To be honest, I found it hard to find any substantial news about this producer other than the involvement for a while with Chapoutier. I'd love to read more.

-Michael
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I believe that the Guigal Hermitage is negociant wine.

I can't help but find a Northern Rhone tasting with Guigal, Tardieu-Laurent, Rostaing and Jaboulet to be analogous to a Burgundy tasting of only Bouchard, Jadot and Latour. Throw in Chapoutier and Duboeuf and we've got most of Southeast France covered!

Michael, this isn't intended as a swipe at you - just an expression of disappointment on the often pitiful scope of what we see at retail from these areas. There's so much great, diverse wine made in these areas and we only see the big-producer crap.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 pm

No problem, Mike!

For the record, I brought the '88 Clape but did enjoy some of the other "mass" producers you mention. I guess the fact that no wine really jumped out and shook any of us by the collar (though the Rostaing was awfully nice) may be evidence of what you are talking about. Still, this was a first tasting for me of the de Barjac and Ferraton, so I did manage to broaden at least my (admittedly narrow) horizons. :D

And I presume this means you won't be bringing Bouchard, Jadot or Latour to tonight's Burg tasting!! 8)

-Michael
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

by MLawton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Rostaing always makes me sad because I've never had one that came even close to what I know his vineyards can produce (see Gentaz).

88 Clape is a very nice wine.

As far as tonight, ever had a DRC? If so, good. Because I am not bringing one.
Last edited by MLawton on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Mike,

Is your house for sale?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I could drink a lot of Jadot.

As for the Guigal Hermitage, yes my experiences have been mixed. One of the telling things about Guigal's negotiant bottlings is that even the Bob himself routinely gives them either low end of the range or lower than the "barrel" scores when he tastes from bottle. There was a time many years ago that I frequently bought Guigal on Bob scores (stopped about 1998 vintage), and that has not always worked out so well.
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

by MLawton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I could drink a lot of Jadot.

You probably keep your golfball in the fairway too. What fun is that?

I'm not saying they are bad wines - they just miss some individuality that some of the better small producers will provide.

Tonight, we had a 99 Jadot Clos St. Jacques. It was not to my taste.

Tom - you talking to me? If so, no. No plans to move.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:31 am

Hell, I am just getting home now! Mike, you missed some random Sabon CdP that somehow popped up on the bar at the end of the evening.

And no, my ball is never in the middle of the fairway. That is my fault, though!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 am

MLawton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I could drink a lot of Jadot.

You probably keep your golfball in the fairway too. What fun is that?

I'm not saying they are bad wines - they just miss some individuality that some of the better small producers will provide.

Tonight, we had a 99 Jadot Clos St. Jacques. It was not to my taste.

Well I mix it up with some Mugneret-Gibourg, Chevillon, Gouges, Lafarge, etc, so it doesn't get too boring.

And I haven't seen the fairway in a long time.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am

MLawton wrote: Tom - you talking to me? If so, no. No plans to move.

I was in {town with same name as an Ivy League School} and I was driving to the F Museum for lunch and I thought I saw a "for sale" sign on your house.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

by MLawton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:56 am

no, that would be every other house on my street, but not mine.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm

The For Sale sign must have been for Mike's homemade Duck prosciutto or his funky Guanciale... I'd buy it.
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

by MLawton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Sorry I didn't get you a piece. I need to improve my allocation scheme.

I still have some, next time. And I'll definitely make more Duck Proscuitto.