The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Obscure Languedoc estate makes a good Trévallon ringer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

TN: Obscure Languedoc estate makes a good Trévallon ringer

by Tim York » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:21 am

Vin de Pays des Cevennes 1995 – Domaine de Baruel – Alc. 13%, made from Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, roughly 50/50.
C: Deep red with chocolate brown tints visible on pouring and still quite a lot of purple.
N: Dark fruit with a lot of damson and minerals.
P: Full bodied, savoury, austerely expressive and surprisingly youthful with lively acidity, dark plum fruit, good complexity, depth and roundness in mid-palate and still firm tannic structure supporting the finish. The rigour of the Cabernets appears to dominate with the generosity and spice of Syrah perceptible in mid-palate. I love this wine for its lack of artifice and sophistication; simply excellent grapes vinified and matured in a straightforward manner. This is more complex and expressive than the 95 Syrah cuvée, which I wrote about a few months ago, and also than my last bottle opened of 95 Trévallon; 17/20.

Here is some information about the estate http://www.thewinedoctor.com/languedoc/baruel.shtml .

I fear that this may be a frustrating report for two reasons.
- lack of availability outside the London area
- change of ownership in 1999 which causes uncertainty whether the wines are still up to the same standard.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Obscure Languedoc estate makes a good Trévallon ringer

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:54 am

Isn't that always the case - can't get it, and they don't make them like that anymore. :(
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: Obscure Languedoc estate makes a good Trévallon ringer

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Tim, guess you knew this post would get my attention!! Not around much as I have 3 bird surveys to write reports on.

Cheers Bob.